sharon1984

Is a TV in the bathroom too much?

Sharon Bouchard
9 years ago
I am rethinking my bathroom layout and wondering if a TV over the bath is a bridge too far (haha)?

If you have one, I'd love to hear how much use it gets.

Kenmore Master Bath · More Info

Comments (59)

• mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    I think all the relaxation of the bath would be negated by twisting your neck around to see the screen. Or you would have to sit sideways in the tub and tip your head waaayyyy back. Not for me.
  • PRO
    Jason Chuck
    9 years ago
    If it's one of those new smart TVs with a webcam on it, just imagine if someone hacked into it. Definitely catch people at their pruney worst
  • Related Discussions

Do you like fire places in bathrooms?

Q

Comments (6)
    I don't see the point, just like T.V. How long do you really spend in there anyway. Maybe once in a blue moon it would be nice but really? To be perfectly honest I don't understand the fascination with the huge bathrooms that need hours to clean, I would rather save that square footage and use it for something I would actually need like a bigger walk-in closet for instance. I live in MCM house we have 3 bathrooms all small and I love them. They are easy to clean look great and what we have are nice big rooms that actually function well.
    ...See More

Master bed/bathroom designs

Q

Comments (28)
    I agree with emily. if you want leave connections and/or a little extra room for what you don't want, but feel you may need for resale. I think the tub is a pretty important item. wet room not at all, and shower is give or take. i would prefer a big shower and a tub for soaking in, but I have always had the combo. I remember my mom built during big wet bar craze, she did not care for one. had space built, capped off connections and use as a closet. Now it is 35 years later, everyone wants to buy and tear down. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. i agree, I would also really like the separate toilet, we are not share everything people.
    ...See More

Need help with my bathrooms

Q

Comments (3)
    Lindsey, I see you have a couple inspiration boards, use ideas for colors, styles, finishes, faucets, counter tops, etc for your new home, just on a smaller scale. Maybe find your dream bath and copy those finishes into your small space. Vanities ideas could include an antique piece repurposed. Tile can be cold, yet, carpet and wood do not do well in wet areas. With that said, there are heating systems available now that are installed beneath the tile to take the chill off. My other trick is using one large rug runner to almost fill the size of the area instead of tiny bath mats.
    ...See More

Bathroom Reno ideas to go with marble tiles

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi - about to renovate our bathroom and so far we are keen on using a combo of large marble/carrara floor tiles which will also go into shower area and up the walls of the walk in shower. We also want to use white subway tiles on another wall. For the vanity we are thinking of black wooden drawers with plain white stone top and white basin . For the tap ware we are keen on gunmetal but worried it might look dated in a few years. We want a contemporary look though. What are your thoughts on this combo. We thought of doing the vanity drawers in pale grey but think it might need the black to “lift” it as there is already too much grey/white in the tiles. Thoughts? Anyone got pictures of similar combos? Thanks!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    I love the idea! It really just depends on the location of the tv. As long as it would be comfortable to view then go for it!
  • marywashington
    9 years ago
    no tv in bathroom! tubs are a place to decompress. Nothing good on anyway ha ha nice bathroom by the way
  • nansdrew
    9 years ago
    I think for every "why" you get, you'll get a "why not." If you'll use it, go for it.
  • PRO
    VizX Design Studios, LLC
    9 years ago
    I agree with nansdrew, if you want it, get it. I personally would not want a TV in my shower only because I don't watch TV, I spend my free time on Houzz answering questions. LOL
    You can get a more active TV mount that will let you swing it out further and point it down so you can see it better. I think that was your question?
  • summilux
    9 years ago
    Depends on how much you and your family likes TV and how much time is spent in said bathroom.
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Kitchen to Bath Concepts
    9 years ago
    In the last 2 master bath renovations that we worked on - both of the clients requested a TV to be installed in their bathroom. One client wanted it over the entrance door to the bathroom and the other client wanted it on one of the walls by the tub. Both of the TV's were mounted on wall brackets that allowed the TV to be turned as needed but also lay flat against the wall. You can also get a mirror with a TV embedded in it but it is pricey.
  • PRO
    Foley Development Group
    9 years ago
    We actually did one a couple of years ago where the TV was integrated into the mirror. I can't remember the make of the product but the client really liked it.
  • PRO
    Kitchen to Bath Concepts
    9 years ago
    Roburn has a mirror with an embedded TV in it.
  • lisaclough
    9 years ago
    I think a tv in the bathroom is a lot of work considering the size you would install - I might be pushing the 'box' here but I bring my ipad into the tub on a stand and put it on a pretty shelf and watch netflix....:)
  • Luke
    9 years ago
    Could work well but it would definitely have to be recessed into the wall to prevent splashing and to keep the lines clean ...
  • chookchook2
    9 years ago
    Get it if you want it. It's your house.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    Sharon, that's a beautiful layout you got. I don't like electrical devices directly above or even near the tub and hence we don't have them there. But, you have no shower there, and we are shower takers for the most part.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    Sharon, I think your bathroom is lovely and I do believe that your tv is in the right spot.
    If you sit as one normally would, lengthwise in the bath, it should work real well.
    I would perhaps invest in a waterproof neck pillow that can be purchased specifically to get the best out of comfortable viewing.
    I am in the process of building and have a very large bath shaped spa that's 1200mm wide and 2000mm long, so it's a reasonably large bath.
    The hob on either side of the spa is approx 700mm and I too plan to have my tv in the same position as you have your tv up high on the wall.
    My spa has a vinyl neck pillow that has velcro holding it in place and it can be re-apolstered in time if necessary.
    I can't wait to sit in my spa and watch Better Holmes & Gardens for example, without my husband wanting to harm himself if he has to sit through an entire episode when it's on ha-ha
    As for a tv preventing you from decompressing, I say how couldn't you happily decompress watching a favourite show with a cruiser in hand perhaps!!!
    Thank you Sharon, as after reading this forum, I now know that there are other people and not just me, that think it's not a new idea to have a tv in ones bathroom as my husband thought I was a bit wacko with the suggestion initially!!!
  • jasailor33
    9 years ago
    I'm not a big bath person but when I do have one I like to watch a movie on the iPad (placed safely on a chair) I think my next bath will probably have a smallish TV (no need for 50 inches people!). not sure how they would handle the moisture over time?? might put it in a cupboard hideaway.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @jasailor33,
    I hear that some of the newer tv's are actually made in such a way, that water is pretty much inpenetrable but you would just have to goole the question.
    I think we've ascertained that a tv in the bathroom and or pool room is not a new thing and there are no doubt purpose made tv's for it.
    Let me know what you find out??
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • PRO
    Kitchen to Bath Concepts
    9 years ago

Every space, especially a master bath, should fit the lifestyle needs of the client and their budget. We have had clients that have wanted very large TV's in their bathrooms, which was not our preference aesthetically, but a large TV met their needs and how they wanted to use the space. The best a designer can do is present the client with all workable options and let the client decide what they would like. The TVs embedded in mirrors and medicine cabinets are a great way to have a TV in a bathroom, but not everyone's budget can allow it.

• legendaryflame
    7 years ago

I would hate it but if you like it, go for it. I think we have to decide what is right for us at times. This is one of those times.

• wuff
    7 years ago
    Not for me, but I am not someone to relax in a bath...don't have the time or don't make the time as would rather be doing other things
  • Jessie Fon
    5 years ago

Nope. It is actually a good idea as along as you have the budget and check the bathroom tvs specifications, features and of course, safety measures. Take note of the mounting options too.

• Candy George
    3 years ago

I’m always taking my iPad into the bathroom when I am having a bath . Yes it’s relaxing but if I wanna be in there for an hour+ , I need to watch something . I’m too busy and don’t watch any tv . So this is the only way I get to wind down and watch something for once . I’ve put a bathtub in my ensuite and I plan on mounting my small 35’ over the bathtub so I can watch Netflix :)

• PRO
    SIDLER®
    3 years ago

I have always believed a TV should be in a designated part of a home just for watching TV. In my opinion, having one in a bathroom doesn't make much sense in a personal home. For a commercial bathroom in a restaurant (for example), I have seen mirrors with TV's hidden behind. That is an interesting design element. I prefer to just spend my time in the bathtub just bathing and then to bed. But, this is a very personal decision, and with each person it will be different.

• Barbara Dunstan
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Plenty of people now watch tv from their bed as sometimes parents for example might want to watch something perhaps inapropriate for a child and often kids now have a tv in their rooms too because they wouldn't dream of watching a show their parents might like except for sport.

Sometimes I'll have a bath and watch BHG which hubby detests and he can sit in the lounge or even go to bed and watch something he likes and then we also have a tv in the kitchen and watch the news whilst having tea so I think the idea that a tv is just a lounge room thing perhaps is a thing of the past now.

I can even have a shower and not miss a show or the news so I don't have to time my shower to suit a show I might like once a week lol

We're also not big time tv watchers as we're farmers but it cost very little to have the tv outlets put in every room when we built the house and on a cold winters night it's nice to go to bed and watch something under a cosy doona!!

• pottsy99
    3 years ago

I part own a few pubs , and we have TV's everywhere , yes including the toilets . Generally 3 or 4 around 21 inch , but in that environment we set them behind triple layered glass , particularly in the ladies haha . We get the builders to set them in a recess , and we paint or often tile them , then get the glass fitted . A good 'trick' is to put one at a 20 degree angle -- its a bit of a talking point .

We put 2 or 3 behind each bar too , and often use them to promote upcoming events , drinks specials and the like , as well as several 65 , 75 even 85 inch TVs around each venue .

And yes , I have a mirrored on in my guest bathroom at home -- in fact , at one stage I was going to do 2 or 3 of those little car DVD monitors ( about 9 inch wide ) behind glass in one shower -- cute , but also 12 volt , so harder to shock me haha ( depending whats on , of course ) .

• goshdarnit
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Barbara Dunstan Hi Barbara! Hope you're well!

I"d never spend long enough in the bath to need a TV, lol. A book if necessary, but I don't really spend that long either - I get prune-y too fast!

I have one in the kitchen on a buffet that gets covered in an artwork when not in use - I just lean it up against it

I have one in the bedroom because of different things wanting to be watched by hubby and myself, and also for my health condition, which gets me often, and I have to essentially live in the bedroom - Tv, Playstation, multi region player, all present and correct, lol. We bought an old wooden book lectern with a 'through' shelf space under the flat top, which is on wheels, that houses all that. It's nice to be able to change the angle if I need to be on one side or the other when in bed.

People live in so many different ways now - There really aren't any rules, per se as to how you arrange things. Mind you, I'd never put it where it could fall INTO the bath in an earthquake or roof damage scenario... just as i'd never put a light over the bath for the same reason.

• debanger3
    3 years ago

Good Grief!

• HU-640108217
    2 years ago

Why???

• HU-640108217
    2 years ago

I am really annoyed with myself that l responded to this question. If that is your bathroom, then you have done well, the TV is already there...
    Why would anyone want to add another distraction into an area which for most people is a form of relaxation or should be. I lived in India in the mountains for a period of time, working as l volunteer, the best thing was no T.V & enjoying my surroundings. The monks puja in the morning & evenings ,birds, listening to the BBC on the roof & watching the stars. There is a need for this kind of communication, but you need to switch off occasionally. Lorraine.

• goshdarnit
    2 years ago

And when you don't want it on in there to 'switch off' , then presumably you wouldn't turn it on... the person with the tv generally has the on/off switch. Turning it on isn't compulsory - one man's relaxation is another man's poison - each to their own. I think it's a little extra to dictate what another person's bathroom space 'should be' to them.

• Barbara Dunstan
    2 years ago

@HU-640108217

Yes I think you might be right that you shouldn't have responded when you are so against someone having something different to you. I believe you should have simply said, "not for me" and that would have been sufficient.

It's not very nice when peple get victimized for liking something different, it's precisely what makes the world go around being different!

I couldn't think of anything worse quite franlkly than listening to the BBC for example but again each to their own.

Maybe next time think first or don't respond.

I do get quite annoyed when this forum is used in such a way, it's supposed to be a forum where everyone can share their likes and dislikes, knowledge or lack thereof or just simply sharing a story because it's sad or uplifting.

This is not FB

• pottsy99
    2 years ago

If you see my post above , you'll see I have one in my guest bathroom -- just because ! In fact , I have no idea how many TV's I have all up -- judge me , I don't care !

In fact , these days we have 'screens' everywhere -- I have them at work , at home , on computers , tablets , phones , one car has a DVD player , my mobilehome has a couple of TV's .

Like Barbara , I'm more likely to watch BBC than I am to listen to it , but I doubt I'd do either for more than an hour a year .

• Barbara Dunstan
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@pottsy99

Oh my goodness that is allot of TV's with your pub but simply the way it is.

I have a TV outlet in all three bedrooms and one in our bathroom and hubby and I often watch something in bed in winter insteat of trying to keep warm in the kitchen or lounge when it's only the two of us.

If I decide to have a spa or a long shower, I can watch a favourite show for example so the TV doesn't dictate when I have a shower, which I find fantastic.

We have a TV in the lounge and dining and without doubt the dining one is the one used the most. It has utube so I often wear headphones and listen to a show at times without seeing every second of it whilst I'm cooking for example as the dining TV is just slightly in the wrong position and can't be altered enough to see it properly from the kitchen.

I live on a farm and if the weather is good, I'm out in my garden or we're tending to our livestock but like today for example where neither of us got to go out, hubby watched a DVD in the lounge, I donned the headphones and watched a movie in the dining area, perfect.

• rmaunder
    2 years ago

I'm doing a master bathroom and considering adding a TV. Can I ask what you decided and what TV you went with? We're a bit limited in Australia - any advice would be appreciated. TIA.

• Barbara Dunstan
    2 years ago

@rmaunder

Not sure about others but I put a standard little tv in my bathroom, bought it from a family member, bought two actually., 53cm paid $50 each, can't loose there!!!

One is in our bedroom and the other in the bathroom. It is not a special tv supposedly for bathroom conditions, but three years on and it is still fine.

• rmaunder
    2 years ago

Thanks for the tip but I think ours will get a little too steamy. I'll wait until everything is in and see how the exhaust fan works.

2 years ago

I would rather share a bath with my partner and a bottle of bubbly. IMO TVs are for living rooms only.

• Barbara Dunstan
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@rmaunder

My bathroom gets very steamy even with the exhaust fan as we don't have an opening window but I guess my point is, if my TV fails at some stage it was worth it for the price I paid. It all depends if you manage to get a second hand one like I did.

There are of course TV's specially designed for bathrooms but I think you have to sell a kidney to afford it ha-ha

• Barbara Dunstan
    2 years ago

@94236633

I'm no spring chicken at 64 in a few weeks and I think TV's are ok in pretty much any room of the house, mobile phones, ipads, laptops etc... go there and are used in precisely the same way as a TV as far as viewing things and they all even go in some places they shouldn't go so why not a TV?

I'm sure some would say bubbly and a partner in the bathrrom is not what others might do but power to you for doing what makes you happy, isn't that what everyone wants, to be happy?

• rmaunder
    2 years ago

Thanks @Barbara Dunstan. I agree with your comment do what makes you happy. I wish people just didn't bother commenting if they don't have a TV in their bathroom. I was looking for brand suggestions, not how to relax or how to spice up my marriage. LOLOLOLOLOL

• Barbara Dunstan
    2 years ago

@rmaunder

Just for your interest, my TV in the bathroom is a Samsung, not a super slim one but probably only about 7.5cm deep however, most TV's are good quality now, I have a Hisense in the kitchen and a Panasonic in the lounge.

All you need to allow for during your consstruction is the power point up high on your wall so the TV covers the plug, looks nicer and also very child safe up high. You can even have the plug in the ceiling if that suits, depends on roof access.

• rmaunder
    2 years ago

We have allowed for it, I'm just going to coast along and see how it turns out. We're prepared either way. Thx.

• Carmel Tuohy
    last year

This bathroom LOOKS lovely, but having that stool/table next to the bath is rediculous! and dangerous - how can one get out of the bath??

• Barbara Dunstan
    last year

@Carmel Tuohy,

I'm inclined to agree, this is more what one would see at the foot of a bed. Often staging for a perfect shot can otherwise look totally unworkable in reality.

• Candice C
    last year

That sounds amazing. We use our bath all the time - mostly with our phones, we put in special charge points next to our bath and they get more use then even I would have guessed! If you are a person that loves languishing in the bath then do it!!! If you are a three minute shower sort of person then probably not.

• Brenda Kirkup
    last year

If you want a TV then have it.When I was renovating everyone told me not to have a spa im so pleased I ignored everyone.lol

• Barbara Dunstan
    last year

I had to settle for a shower for years and years because the place we lived in only had a shower although my showers are deefinitely not a three minute person, more like 15min ha-ha

I too decided on a spa bath in our new build, one that is big enough to fit two people but is simply a bath shape and I'm finding it hard to get myself back into baths because of being used to a shower for so long but I don't regret it either.

I used to read the paper in the bath back when papers were what was around back then and I do miss that ha-ha