wendy_cohen6831161

Help! Living room dilemma

Wendy C
9 years ago
our new home is open plan, the furniture came with us from the UK, and I am struggling! The big wooden unit contains lots of sentimental stuff which I have endeavoured to make look nice, but the unit itself will only work in the corner it is in presently as it has only a right end corner to it, we have considered moving it to different locations but none work, apart from where it is, the problem in its location is that we are limited to where we put our sofas and chair to get a "conversational area" rather than all the seating "stuck to the walls" as is now, we are planning to replace all the flowered seating this year, but again not sure how to lay it out. Where I am standing is open to the dining room behind me, to the right are treble floor to ceiling glass sliding doors, and two windows either side of our tv, so we actually only really have two walls to place the unit on, all ideas welcome!

Comments (29)

• Leslie
    9 years ago
    Can you take off the other corner piece on the hutch? It might make the unit more movable...
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    Ok,have you ever though about putting the wood piece on the left wall and having a mirror cut to go on the end of it...then put the sofa on the left with then back of it towards where you are standing in the photo,then take the other sofa and move it across from that one with the rug in between.Try to find a narrow table for behind the sofa with the back towards you and decorate it with photos etc
  • Wendy C
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We have finally decided there is no place for it in our home as its is, so yesterday we bought two tins of Annie Sloan Paloma (Gray/lilac) paint and a pot of clear wax and we are going to paint it, change the knobs to gun metal colour, not purchased yet, move it against an opposite wall which leads out onto our back sun deck, fingers crossed it works!!
  • Susan Cheal
    9 years ago
    Hi- I think I'd move the sofa that's on the wall to in front of the break front and put the other sofa opposite it, with the table in between them. Do you have any other furniture, like a chair with a small table alongside it that you could put in the area on the wall where the sofa is now? If not, you could get a tall plant and put it in the corner and get a larger picture/painting you could put on that wall. The scale relationship of picture you have on the wall now is too small, and hung too high. the rule of thumb on hanging pictures is about a 54" center. (Center of picture is 54" from the floor) best of luck!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Good luck and cannot wait to see your pics. I love how paint changes things!
  • Wendy C
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Susan, thanks for the tip on the picture, its an original that I got in the UK, I love it but you are right its in the wrong place, its a watercolour and we get a lot of sun in that area so i am limited to where it goes. as we have decided to move the cabinet and we are now getting a fire installed where the tv is and the tv will go above it (tsk I know in some quarters) the whole room is on the move! I think we will end up replacing the sofas with an L shape that will go into the corner where the cabinet is, will post pictures of our finished unit!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Well, crossing your fingers totally worked as this look amazing! And the new wall for it works, too!!! Please share once you get it accessorized and show us the rest of the area it is in, too.

GOOD WORK!
  • Wendy C
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here it is, not 100% happy with the handles, I have not been able to source what I want as the size is difficult and there are pre-cut holes that are too big to successfully fill, so we painted the old handles and took away the fancy gold lacy effect! We are about to get our fireplace installed today, then will change the lounge sofas, v. Excited and great to get ideas here!
  • springcath
    9 years ago
    That piece looks awesome! I wouldn't put too many little accessories on the open shelves. Find two or three larger statement pieces. Then add more books, some lying down stacked with a picture frame or smaller object on top. A couple of large baskets would look nice too. Just don't crowd it with too many things. Have fun arranging!
  • Wendy C
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks springcath, you are right, We have lots of bits and pieces (small ornaments) we brought back from many of our foreign adventures, always small so as to get them in the luggage, we have legions of books not on show as well! I am thinking of getting a small Display box, i think they call it a "thimble box for the little items and put it elsewhere in the house, it is a work in progress, I also have to "biff" more! (Put things away or to the charity store. The unit is still a work in progress!
  • springcath
    9 years ago
    I love the idea of a thimble box. Maybe you could use a pretty tray to group some of your special treasures and display it on a coffee table or even the lower shelf of your cabinet. Those are the things that make a home special!
  • Wendy C
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So we bought new furniture and picked up this painting in Bangkok, still a work in progress, going to paint the coffee tables, maybe a distressed grey with white underneath, So much fun to get advice here
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    That painting is beautiful and what fun to look at it and remember your trip. Any way the couch could sit under it instead of the love seat to balance it out a bit more?
  • Allie Pieramico
    9 years ago
    Love the newly painted hutch! great color choice!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Oh, and love the new furniture. Great choice!
  • Wendy C
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Abbeyjean, What is under the painting is our second smaller sofa, I followed the rules about painting size to sofa and although the sofa is 1.7 metres I forgot that the seat space would be the same as the painting! problem is the larger couch faces the tv and fire, I am going to be painting the coffee tables, when that is done, I will look again at the positioning, shame as I went to Bangkok with the measurements but the sofa had not been delivered at that time!
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Yes, the painting is giving a top heavy feeling over the short sofa. Loveseats are so difficult to work with. Maybe you can return it for a pair of chairs.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    What might help is taller end tables and a taller lamp....then the lamp will help fill in some of the wall space, too.
  • Wendy C
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am planning to add scatter cushions and think if I do a pair of larger ones for each end so they go over the arms to creat height at each end, and a couple of smaller ones, I want to bring some colour in too. I do like the idea of a larger side light at either end to, Switching the sofas is going to be my final fix if all else fails!!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    A floor lamp may work, too. Wondering if the movie tower is also distracting from the art???
  • Wendy C
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Painted the tables and added scatter cushions, searching for a replacement lamp to the left, move the movie ladder, getting better!
  • Wendy C
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Think we are now there, so nice to have it sone for the holidays, may change the orange cushions to brighter ones!
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Brighter as ...... well if there's mauve-soft purple in your art, what about subtle green pillow - lime / moss? or a throw instead.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    not bright but kind of fun!
    Arctic Mohair Designer Check Blanket from New Zealand, Lilac Mohair · More Info

Nika Martinez "Ikat Geometrie" Green Orange Fleece Blanket, 30"x40" · More Info

Maybe Sparrow Photography Orange Floral Crush Fleece Throw Blanket · More Info

Houndstooth Throw, Orange · More Info
  • Wendy C
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank Everdebz! I did have the idea of purple cushions or apple green but did not want to have to lose the rug, which is why I kept the orange, I may experiment with more colours after the holidays!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Painting your furniture made a huge difference, didn't it. Very nice!
  • Tony Spark
    2 years ago

I love how the people are willing to help. Great work guys! Keep it up.

Tony

https://www.electricianhamiltonnz.kiwi/

• robandlyn
    2 years ago

very old post