mallory5nz

Hardwood staining & dogs

mallory5nz
9 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We bought our 1960s era ranch home in New Zealand 10 months ago. Unfortunately, our dogs have really trashed the floors from their nails (especially at the doors to outside which I think is worse due to their wet feet when they come in). We are currently in the process of attaching a 100 year old school house to our home that is going to serve as our "dog wing" -- the "dog friendly" portion of the house. It has very old original hardwood floors which we intend to refinish. That portion of our house will be living space as well (not kennels) but will be more suited to life with 7 labradors :-). I have 2 questions... in our main home, we have two different types of hardwood (from where a previous addition was done). One I've been told is Rimu. The other one I can't remember! Can these be stained to match when we refinish them or because they are different types of wood, will they always look different? Unfortunately the previous addition was to extend the dining room and lounge so BOTH of these rooms have BOTH types of wood. Also, in the dog-wing, I'm wondering if it is possible to stain the hardwood a color that might be more forgiving of dog scrapes? Something rustic? I've never had hardwood before so I'm not sure of the options available to me.

Comments (6)