evelyn_goh

Too tidy with no design in our living room

Evelyn Goh
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
how to spice up my living room? any deco or any new ideas to make this home more beautiful & relax?

Comments (43)

• Evelyn Goh
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    something need to be do at the fireplace? i need a new fresh contemporary living room
  • Chandani
    11 years ago
    Hi.. Great space to work with. Love the light. Can you post pics with the furniture you have in the room or a floor plan? A few things to start with floor length drapes to soften the windows. Area rug. If want to keep the white walls, consider painting the fireplace wall. Is it possible...in the budget to redo the fireplace?
  • Related Discussions

Living room furniture dilemma

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you for ideas the room is little dark in day but I love the night effect, we are repainting so could look at half the tone of current colour, the chairs I have in the room are silver. The photo does not reflect this, wonder if gold would be odd the stone sofa has metal legs, the house is 1970 ContempOry but I love to mix old and new, and wanting elegant French look, what type of comfy chairs should I get to match sofa and where would they best fit, do you think the armoire go next to fire.? with our old settee should I keep this single chair but cover it? I wonder if it too bulky? Also the leather chair is brown should I keep this in the room or not. the mirror above chairs is silver and gold frame should I shift it /paint it /leave it and add tall lamp in this ares to make reading corner, and can pull in chairs when have guests? The oak cabinet is a keeper have I got this in the best position, I appreciate all ideas.
    ...See More

Living room design

Q

Comments (2)
    A quick fix for the dining room would be to center your dining room table in the dining room area. You can define this room a bit more clearly by adding a chandelier centered above the table. For the living room, the loveseat can remain on where it is, but pull it away from the wall. Move the loveseat so it more to the right, it does not need to be centered under the window. Place the larger 3 seater couch along the wall where the coffee table currently stands. It should rest under the window about a foot away from the wall. Place the side table at the corner between the now perpendicular sofas and center the coffee table in the room. This will give you space for a nice entertainment unit where the large sofa previously stood. Alternatively you could place a credenza here to store your dining room dishes or additional storage. Lower the painting on the wall to eye level so the center of the painting is at 54" above the finished floor. Purchasing new window treatments or drapery panels that coordinate with a new throw and cushions for the sofas will tie the elements of the space together and make it more cohesive.
    ...See More

Living room arrangement

Q

Comments (1)
    I've been looking at these plans for about half a hour now and I'm stumped. What did you guys decide on doing? If things came down to it, you could remove the fireplace. But I'm guessing you don't want to do that. Let me know what you decided to do!
    ...See More

Suggestions on decorating our 1980s architecturally designed home

Q

Comments (0)
    Help! we are redecorating our 1980’s architecturally designed home. A new kitchen is going in - modern - white with a black stone top. The dining and living rooms have been opened up with a wall removal. some of the walls will be painted but the stairway and wall leading into the dining room will be difficult to achieve a paint finish. How can we achieve a modern look with some white painted walls and one very long wall will need wallpaper? Any ideas? Anaglypta? thankyou!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Hi Evelyn, I agree with others about your space having great bones, the fireplace is lovely and perhaps you could hang some pictures / art work on that wall. Some contemporary furniture with kid friendly in mind would be what this room needs to give more warmth and personalitly.
  • Rachel
    11 years ago
    Wow this room has great potential! Dressing up the fireplace a little would be a great choice. That would make it the focal point of the room. I would put up warm colored curtains and a couch with contrasting colored pillows facing the TV. That would make the room cozy, calming and very inviting! Most of all kid friendly! (as I see you have a tykes table so you probably have little kids) enjoy it!!!!
  • Rachel
    11 years ago
    An entertainment center would also be great! If provides lots of storage, a place for the TV and can look very neat and clean.
  • Evelyn Goh
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all you guys great ideas. i will try to look for picture & painting now.
    i just thinking about the armchair there..anything missing there? look abit weird on that side.
  • Rachel
    11 years ago
    Usually seating in a living room is placed so that people can have a conversation. I think the reason why the chair looks weird is because it needs a "companion." It needs another chair so it shouldn't look so lonely and out of place! Best of luck!
  • heydon2
    11 years ago
    It's so naked it looks like college (but with no pizza boxes). You need to furnish it - at minimum a companion chair and small table with that lonely chair in the corner, a couch and coffee table, and get some artwork on those bare walls.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- You haven't said what your style is -- are you clean modern or contemporary /mid-century or eclectic or traditional ? I think tthere is lots of room for improvement of the fireplace. Not liking the brick surround and I think that should be removed and a new stone vaneer added up to the ceiling and wider - about 4 ft. x 8 ft. Would you like to do that ? What colors are you thinking and are you wanting ideas for furniture etc. And are you thinking of getting a flat screen TV? Or no TV in the room. More info would help . Thanks .
  • Jamieson
    11 years ago
    Hi Evelyn, you have a beautiful light filled room! I honestly don't think you need much to make your space more inviting and comfortable. I think you definitely need a rug, some more seating, coffee table or ottoman, some shelving to the right of your fireplace, and a large piece of artwork above fireplace. Attached some photos for inspiration. Good luck!
    Rocky River Living · More Info

Christoffersen · More Info

Contemporary Family Room · More Info
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Hi the first thing I noticed is the off centered fireplace which I love. It makes for such an interesting space. I like the idea of really making this the focal point of the room by buidling around it and placing a tv on this wall too. Eck / MacNeely Architects did it quite well in the picture I will attach from Houzz.

Without seeing the room plan I still think that you can create a good seating arrangement with this area. Not sure what the room layout is but seems you could do a sectional where the childs table is, along that wall and then opposite the fireplace, which would still leave room to walk past. I would put a round coffee table in front and then a console table behind the sectional. Where the armchair is you could put a lovely tall plant to balance the fp area. However I would need to see the floor plan or more pictures to really advise.

If the tv must stay where it is then the second picture again from Houzz shows a neat idea you could create with paint to make the fireplace really stand out on this wall.

regards

Susan
  • kazz125
    11 years ago
    Make the fireplace wall more important. Add shallow display ledges on the right, replace the mantel with something more substancial and hang a great conversation piece mirror over mantel. Venetian, or ultra modern. Deeper color for wall maybe greenbriar beige from Benjamen Moore. Or a nice olive green. If the budget allows, redo whole fireplace wall maybe with a great mosaic tile or brick. flowy off white sheers, flat panel tv, nice sofa with chaise in a distressed camel leather. Area rug with warm tones of olive, rust, toast and cream to tie in color sceme. Replace ceiling fixture with oil rubbed bronze figure with craftsman or contemporary theme.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    ok so the picture from Eck | MacNeely Architects inc. did not attach, it showed a off centered fp such as yours with built ins around it and a flat screen tv embedded into it. If I can figure out how to attach or give the link I will :)

The above picture is from CWB Architects, you could create this idea with paint and replacing the mantle with one that extends across a bit more like this.

regards

Susan
  • Evelyn Goh
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    just added my family photo.does it suit on this room?matching with my fireplace?
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Hello Evelyn, you have a beautiful family and that is a good place for the photo but it is a bit too high. If you drop it down a little bit or even just rest on the mantle with some other things on it too it will make that side of the room a bit more interesting.
  • PRO
    Matt Patterson Custom Homes
    11 years ago
    You might also try some large pots with bamboo to give depth. Good art can be found at starving artist sales. I constantly pick up large format originals, signed & numbered and have them custom framed for a few hundred.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Hi Evelyn Goh, Wow, great space - too bad you've made the one mistake most of us do, is you've pushed everything towards the outer walls...don't do that!
    Stone clad or tile the entire fireplace wall! Do it! the room can handle it, if you want to go modern, if you want more traditional, then go with a white mantle. Put your room on paper, with a quad pad which shows every quarter inch equals one foot, play with zoning circles. Figure out how you want to use the room, then ensure that there are appropriate amounts of furniture for everyone, with plenty of areas for the kids to play, do homework etc. Best advice I can give you - call a local decorator/designer to come in and brainstorm ideas with you for 3-4 hours, it will be the best money you spend on this room! Good Luck...
  • Rachel
    11 years ago
    I love the picture you added I just think it needs to be blown up and made bigger and put into a frame that makes a statement. You can then use the picture to inspire the room's color scheme! Best of luck!
  • SalvageArtisan
    11 years ago
    Family photo suggestion: Have it reprinted B&W on a large canvas where they wrap the edges around the frame.
  • Ashley Halpern
    11 years ago
    Evelyn, I am envisioning your room from an angle other than what the picture depicts- this is a great space- but to be honest, the fireplace and photo are lost and somewhat disconnected. I would cozy up the room, since I notice you have children, this room should be functional and inviting. I like to pair couches with chairs, a nice table, and rug. This image is for style, but keep in mind color and style is up to
  • Aubrey Huff
    11 years ago
    Sometimes less is more, however in a space like yours where there is a lot of unused visual space you will want to use some items with some scale. As others have mentioned drapes would add color and interest to the room, and the fireplace mantle is too large for just one picture the size you show. It is lovely and would fit nicely if layered, leaning on the mantle with a larger scale mirror as well as something actually sitting on the manatle using the 3D space like a vase, statue, etc. Just try not to go too small and use things you love.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 years ago
    Ms Hebson has it right! Call a local interior designer. When you meet, be very honest about your budget, and over what period of time you can spend. Make a notebook of rooms that appeal to you, but also keep in mind your current lifestyle. I see a dated television, a child's table and chairs,and am guessing your budget may be restricted right now. But many designers will make you a plan, help you to prioritize, provide insight as to how to best lay out your room.The plan would include appropriate sizes for rugs, furniture and the like. Even color tips. That phone call is the first and best decision.
  • lydia123
    11 years ago
    You obviously have small kids. I would "give" them that little nook in the corner, plus any additional space near that, so that you can always throw their stuff out of the way quickly enough should you want to entertain. Buy simple bins and things. The spot is wasted by that chair, but perfect for kids. I agree about doing more with the fireplace. At a minimum, painting the walls to coordinate better with the stone would go a long way toward softening things. I would replace the chandelier with a ceiling fan because they really do make a room more pleasant. The rest I leave to those with better taste than I, except for two things:

Remember you have kids, so don't do anything kid-hostile.
    Don't overdo. The space is lovely, and the windows fantastic.
  • Beverley Browning
    11 years ago
    The fireplace wall is the focal point....I would take out the surround on your fireplace and coat that entire wall with what pleases u ....from a faux stone, glass, or even bead boarded wall...making it one solid surface.......on the right of the fireplace I would find a huge painting that picks up the colors of the room that you would want....such as accents of teal and yellow.....Do put drapes that flow from the ceiling to floor but they do not have to be functional (a print with your accent colors)....looks like your view is grand? I would not usually say put a sofa against your view window but your layout suggests for it...choose a neutral sofa so that you can change your decor in the future with little dollars out...new colors in painting...pillows ect......two chairs across from the sofa....a lovely rug then bring in accent pieces........yum
  • Beverley Browning
    11 years ago
    ps...u can swag over another light fixture from that elect if that is not in your budget...centering more over the fireplace area
  • 203kath
    11 years ago
    you do have great potential with your room. I would rely on paint to focus more attention on the fireplace wall. I would make a family photo wall above the fireplace and on the side and add children's art as well You probably have those photos already. Find frames at discount stores, yard sales, thrift shops. Make the family wall cohesive by use of frames and arrange in an arrangement.
    Area rugswill add pops of color by kiddies table and chair to make a conversation area. Look for another chair and small table for that conversation area.. Ikea has good choices for budget window treatments. Real plants add warmth as well. comment here...
  • beulah61521
    11 years ago
    Great space! It lends itself to be a grown up room. I would either find another home for the childrens table or use the wall behind where you were standing to take the pictures as their area. But the areas do need to be defined. Some nice geometric design area rugs will do that.

Not sure about your budget. But the fireplace seems dwarfed by the wall. Either reface the fireplace surround to be larger and raise the height of the mantle or look for art alternatives. If you remove the mantle over the top of the fireplace I would look to something like the pic I attached. You don't have to do it in traditional style, square lines would give the contemporary look you are trying to achieve. You wouldn't have to remove the stone, you would go around it to bulk up the fireplace. Then your artwork will be showcased. Molding is pretty reasonable and you could beef that fireplace up at a minimal cost. Then I would add either low bookcases matching stands with lamps or benches on either side. Or go for a ladder bookcase to the right and a bench or low bookcase under the window on the left. There are so many pictures of fireplace mantle ideas out there even on google.

As others have said the room is so nice and bright. Choose window coverings that still allow the light but also give some drama. Your overhead light could also use updating to something contemporary. A matching pair of contemporary comfy chairs would add balance.
  • ritahass
    11 years ago
    Hi,
    A lovely light filled room. You can really make the fireplace wall stand out because it is off center, create a a nice diagonal and vertical line around it by painting a wall strip in a different color vertically on one side of the fireplace, more towards the left and adding a nice mantle ledge horizontally above fireplace painted in the same color. This will create a nice frame for your fireplace. Then frame your pictures beautifully and hang them just above the fireplace , or you can hang a mirror or painting as well. Put some tall colored glass bottle vases with sprigs of tall stems in it to the left to add some definition to the fireplace. now place a brightly covered rug in front of it, and 2 cozy armchairs,in front of the fireplace, a small coffee table and a comfy sofa at the other end and Enjoy.
    Psst( if you arent going to use yr fireplace then I suggest you close it off by putting the TV cabinet in front of it. And buy one of those electric fireplaces that do the trick better than the old traditional ones. I am not sure what your style is, but I would definitely put some window treatments to frame those lovely windows.
  • Dixie Landers
    11 years ago
    I would def go with some kind of built-in over and beside the fp--either the faux stone to match it or some kind of cube arrangement that you could fit your tv into...but don't go so high as to bump the crown molding! I agree you need an area rug-go with geometric design, and give the little corner to the kids. Mount some plastic bins for their small items (crayons, tablets, handheld games, legos/duplos) right under each chair; then they don't take up floor space and they hide stuff; color-coordinated to whatever bright colors you decide to put in the room-I think red! Looks like your room could handle red, black accents, and gray. Use some live plants near windows, and don't put sofa against wall or windows. You'll want to sit where you can see out!
  • diane_a
    11 years ago
    I like the photo that Susan .....Design posted, with the off-center fireplace. If you did something like that it would give more importance to what looks like a fairly small fireplace (treatment). The armchair by it is almost big, in comparison, but the chair isn't really that big. The kids' table and chair brings an amuzing "scale" to the room (we had that one too). Anyway, somehow make that wall more important and the fireplace will become the focal point it is meant to be.

(adding) It looks like you have crown moldings around the ceiling. They are beautiful, and seem quite the opposite (formal and sleek) to your fireplace (casual, with the rough stone and wooden mantle).
  • mafelion
    11 years ago
    Hi Susan, If your on a tight budget, paint the fireplace wall in a grey tone to match the fireplace stone. It doesn't need to be dark. As for the family photo, I think the scale is to small and personally I believe family photos should be in a more personal area. Perhaps going up a stair case or down the hall to the bedrooms/ bathroom. That way if guests what to look at your photos they not forced to stand in front of your fireplace. a mirror would be nice with candles, objects d'art to add interest. Area rug. Another small chair on the other side of the fireplace.( it seems it might be going into your dining room?) tuck the childs table in the corner window. I do like Susan Mills design. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  • mafelion
    11 years ago
    Sorry, hello Evelyn. I was reading Susan's answer.
  • Evelyn Goh
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    just buy a new rug..not really sure this is good to go with my house flooring color
  • Deb Kapteyn
    11 years ago
    center your couch in front of the fireplace, facing the fireplace in line with where you have the childrens table and chairs now. Don't place it against a wall. Place your area rug between the couch and the fireplace. I like the chair in the corner where it is. You could get a flatscreen tv above the fireplace, or create a separate seating cluster around the tv if your family spends a lot of time around the tv. If you want to leave the family portrait above the fireplace, definately lower it about 6" or rest it on the mantle. Bright throw pillows that pull colors from the chair, couch, rug and picture would make the whole space feel more unified. Or you could do a neutral rug and go with long, fun patterned curtains and complimentary throw pillows...
  • tcufrog
    11 years ago
    I would put a flatscreen above the fireplace with a with a more substantial chunky wood mantle that extends the length of the wall and place floating shelves to the right of the fireplace above and below the mantle that match the new mantle. If you would prefer to keep the photo above the fireplace you need to mat it and put a larger and more substantial frame around it. Right now it's too small and gets lost up there.
  • diane_a
    11 years ago
    I see you found some pillows,and the one with the red pattern echos the new carpet. You're starting to add the layers that make a room come together.

What's the room to the right of the fireplace? Can you show us a hint of that? It may help with placement ideas.
  • Dixie Landers
    11 years ago
    Now it's beginning to work! Luv the rug! A few more red showstoppers, and I luv the post about matting your family pic, and larger frame for it. Looks like you might be a bit uncomfortable with the great post idea of moving your sofa out into the room away from wall. If so, could you accept putting it diagonally from the entrance doorway, across that corner where it is, stopping at the edge of your window? That's a bit of a move outward, still can see the fp and tv, and show off your new rug, which could go diagonally in front of the sofa. Then, if you like that, after a while you could move it on out as Deb K suggests. Sometimes intermediate steps are more doable for us than those big changes.Same with painting; if you could first paint just the fp wall, then later paint other walls...seems some color would really make it more homey. Would you cosider a quite contemporary fixture for the light in the center ceiling? Maybe a bit of red could go there!
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 years ago
    No........ sorry.......... way .....too......small!!! When you use too small a rug, you chop up the room, and shrink it visually. Stop, don't buy, call a local DESIGNER, and pay for a little design advice with size, scale, and proportion. The ideal rug, leaves only a fifteen to eighteen inch perimeter of wood showing. Yes... you need it to be that large.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 years ago
    Let me add one thing if I may? A trip to a moderate to high end carpet store will reveal some great choices in pattern and color that are 12 or 13 feet wide, and can be made into the exact length you require . A simple border, a very thin binding, a complementary solid on a patterned piece of broadloom... any of those options can lead to a well priced area rug of appropriate size. It may be a start to a great scheme! It doesn't have to be wool, there will be nylons, and other synthetics that can work equally well for you. A good carpet store can arrange making your choice into an area rug. It will warm and anchor the entire room. Measure, deduct those 15 or 18 inches, leaving just a speck at the front edge of the hearth, and you will have your "perfect custom size" in a color and pattern you love.
  • Rachel
    11 years ago
    Seems your couch matches the fireplace pretty well though i think it would look better in front of the fireplace as a conversation area or as a cozy place to watch TV. You can put a coffee table in front of the couch, some accent colored throw pillows (in whatever color you would like since the room is basically neutral colors) and keep the arm chair there just put a slip cover over it (slip cover color should depend of the color of the pillows) and BINGO!!!!!!!!! you've got yourself a nice area to spend as a family watching TV or for adult conversation! The couch will divide the room and you can have an area for the kids with their kiddy table. It doesn't take much of a budget and its simple and easy.
  • Yang Ruflo
    2 years ago

With a bit of creativity and design you will have a nice beautiful home. That is great.

• robandlyn
    2 years ago

The original post is 9 years old!!! Think its a bit late to give advice! Please look at date before you comment.