karen_beilharz

Plantation shutters: Polymer vs timber

Karen Beilharz
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I've had three quotes to put in plantation shutters in our two-bedroom flat. One of the quotes was for a product called Fusion20: http://www.fusion20shuttersandblinds.com.au/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=10&Itemid=92 which is a carbon/glass fibre reinforced with polymer with an aluminium insert. Its marketing material claims that it's as good as timber without "timber's inherent problems" (but price-wise, it's the same). It also comes with a 20-year guarantee (whereas basswood is only guaranteed for 3-5 years).

Has anyone had any experience with this material? I haven't managed to find much independent content about it online.

Comments (13)

• Luke Buckle
    9 years ago
    We just opted for the polymer version, and found them to be very strong and they look durable. Bit worried about discolouration over the years but I guess you would get that risk with timber also. Plus, you save forests.
    Ava's Nursery · More Info
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    What adorable wallpaper!
    What is that called Luke, and how sweet we both have little avas.
    A gorgeous trendy nursery. The white in here is so pure.
    The best thing about shutters for sure, is the way they seem to harness the light and diffuse it so softly. Perfect for a growing bub.
  • newgardener
    9 years ago
    I got fusion shutters ( think that was the name) sounds like it. I am so happy with them. Beautiful to clean, look great, won't have to paint, won't fade, sag and I got a 20yr warranty. I love them.
  • Greg
    9 years ago
    I have timber shutters but as they are fairly heavy, tend to sag after a few years particularly on full length bi folds.
    If you don't want a timber finish I would opt for composite material shutters. Ours are white anyway so in retrospect shouldn't have gone with timber.
  • ClickChick9
    9 years ago
    I have a large window dressed with the fusion 20 shutter. I am happy with the material however the precision of the construction for a made to measure product was less than desirable. I also bought a house full of blinds from this company and have had 2 blinds tear themselves within 2years of installation. I could not recommend FSB to anyone as I also had 2 blinds that were incorrectly measured/made. I was treated as a dumb female who wouldn't know how to use a tape measure. It took 18mths to get the problem addressed but only as I withheld payment and I believe the Qld arm of FSB was going broke. I have seen other companies advertise plastic shutters however so maybe you can reasesrch those as well.
  • reginatoremo
    6 years ago

Have any of to guys looked at the toxic properies of poly shutters . They have to use something as a bonding agent and most times it is formaldahide ! Timber is organic and most companies that bring them in have to make sure that the companies that manufacture have the forestry stewardship cerificate which means that the timber used is renewable . Timber is far lighter and can span wider . Remember one thing , houses are made from timber and rubbish bins are made from poly . To the doubters and not sure shutter buyers make sure that you choose a timber product that is 100% that species of timber , not blended timbers and to the ones that are contemplating using poly shutters beware as i truly beleive that they will be the next asbestos scare . They are not good for your health . Always try and go organic guys , even with your food .

• PRO
    Cipriano Italian Home Design
    6 years ago

Hello,

I am going to agree with Regina. Plastic is not good for the world full stop. Buying it is only supporting it's production. Find out where the wood is coming from and if it is from a sustainable source, to take away the guilt of using trees. Natural elements are better to live with in the long term.

• Vee Vee
    4 years ago

I have the need to Install shutters throughout our home. We had cedar however after many years of people renting our home they need repair. The cost to repair and repaint is close to new ones. I’m Still undecided which product to use.

• Karen Beilharz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If it helps, we ended up getting them, and five years on, they still look good and haven't sagged or anything.

• HU-408012163
    4 years ago

Karen, you ended getting which one? Polymer or timber?

• Karen Beilharz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi there!

We ended up getting the Polymer Fusion20 ones. We've had them for five years now and they still look good—they haven't sagged or warped in any way. Very happy with them!

• PRO
    Panneer
    4 years ago

Plantation shutters are enabled with slats that are prepared from real wood materials and faux wood mostly that can be used to tilt upon for getting fresh air and the needed sunlight while sliding the slats that enable to cool the room during summer and an opposite the reaction during winter from Australian Window Covering, Melbourne.