kiwichick79

Need advice on yard - Bricks to pavers? Grass? Help!

kiwichick79
9 years ago
We are looking to replace the bricks out here for something else, they are lifting around the tree roots, and growing more weeds than I can cope with. We also need to run drainage along the side of the house to protect the retaining wall to under the house (we are a 2-level house on the side of a hill).

We were looking to replace the bricks with pavers or concrete, however someone else has suggested grass with a brick path along the house, and now I'm all confused! So, having been reading your helpful advice for so long, I thought I'd ask for some help.

We live in Auckland, New Zealand, the house is a 1920's weatherboard bungalow. This is only actually half of the section, there's another part to the left of the hedge with brick paths, stairs, terracing, where our "functional" garden (orchard, vege patch, washing line, and chicken run) is. This area is solely for pleasure. We have young children as well, and my husband would like to have a few more social gatherings at our house.

The rock walls have been de-ivy'd, there is ficus growing back over the walls and the fences. We've done a LOT of clearing out of crap and replaced the rotting fence, so it's all looking rather bare! I've attached a couple of pictures, and a VERY rough sketch of the area I'm looking at to help.

Thanks so much in advance, I really don't want to mess this up!

Comments (4)