jacobhart

Neighbor Dilemma - Gawking!!!

jacobhart
9 years ago

We have a super large problem with the neighbor who keeps staring over the fence at us, this is intruding on our privacy whoever we do not know what is best to do about it. We thought about putting a pergola there but not sure if this would work. We could plant some trees but these would take to long to grow as we need a solution that would fix the problem immediately. We appreciate any feedback to help us with this.

Please note section is slopping and this is the sunny side of the house so would be very nice to sit out here in the evenings if it was private. We would like to turn this area into a nice pleasant courtyard maybe (again if privatized).

Below is photo with man looking directly into living room.

Below is photo of outdoor area, neighbors to left

Below neighbors to the right

Comments (31)

• Larisa Stow
    9 years ago

You could add lattice to your fence to create more height. We did that to part of our fence and it really creates more privacy. When we bought our home it had a fence facing the alley but we wanted more privacy and adding the lattice did the trick. You can grow vines on it as well adding to the magic and whimsy of your yard. I attached a picture I found online for inspiration. Good luck!!

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago

Houzz recently ran a story on polycarbonate (perspex) - which is fairly inexpensive and comes in various colours. You could heighten your wall with a polycarbonate tint that will make it much more difficult to see through (and even slightly corrugate it). That way you get the light but you "interrupt" the viewing enjoyment of your neighbour

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/materials-workshop-polycarbonate-a-low-cost-alternative-to-glass-stsetivw-vs~43870464

• Monique Barrow
    9 years ago

I guess you've already talked to your neighbor yet and explained him what's bothering you? Show him the photo with him in the doorway and he may understand how it feels when he's staring at you.
    Putting a fence is a solution. Look like you're in Europe so if you build one make sure you know local rules for ( possible) maximum heights.

• hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How about a separate privacy screen or panel? At the very least, I'd invest in blinds, pulling them down far enough so he couldn't see into the house.

Cannon Hill Residence · More Info

• ebkr
    9 years ago
    As a temporary fix, how about the translucent blinds by Levelor that open from either the top or the bottom? At least that helps inside. Possibly build a lightweight structure to support sheer draperies for outside use? That's a very creepy neighbor. So sorry.
  • Sigrid
    9 years ago

I'd think a smallish tree would work wonders. My guess is that the neighbor is standing on a few steps, so he can only gawk from one specific spot. Plant a tree with a wide crown.

• mermaide
    9 years ago
    Having mental illness is not a crime. Also, health information is confidential.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

I am not suggesting is a crime. I am suggesting that if the person is mentally ill and has a history of violence, the police will know. That is why I suggested going to the police, not a private detective. the police would not have any information on a person who is not violent.

Also Is there someone else living in the house with him? is it possible to speak with the others occupant and inquire? If this is the sole occupant I would be much more worried. If he lives with another person, he might have some developmental issues and he might be not a threat. But the possibility must be ruled out.

• PRO
    annsliee
    9 years ago

The extended lattice on the fence or even a pergola are certainly great, attractive ideas. How about a pergola with seating, seat cushions and lots of outdoor pillows? Add lovely flowering vines that come up the back and arborvitaes (this is a full ever green tree) or something similar to that on each side. The photo above is just an idea for a pergola with seating but the design can certainly be altered.

• hatetoshop
    9 years ago

Courtyard Shade Sail by Tenshon · More Info

Another idea would be a shade sail (I think that's what's what they're called), strategically placed.

desert back yard · More Info

• PRO
    VizX Design Studios, LLC
    9 years ago

Hatetoshop has the best idea. The screen solutions does not take up a bunch of space either.

• Kivi
    9 years ago
    You may need approval from the neighbour to add to the top of the fence, and it doesn't look like the fence is in new condition anyway so.. I would say building privacy screens inside the fence line is the way to go. It looks like you have a large tree there so even trying to grow something under that canopy might difficult.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

everything depends on local regulations. you are not in USA?

• kaye1951
    9 years ago
    Quick fix: hang some colorful "flags" from the tree limbs. There is more to this story and I hope it is benign:(
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    9 years ago

Hey There: You can add a higher fence at any time as long it is on your side of the property...you can buy an already grown hedge for additional privacy. The other options that you have are with outside or inside window treatments as for example solar shades or pleated bottom up - top down blinds on the inside...visit us at www.PleatedBlindsStore.com

On a personal note: De-Escalation is the key. You guys are neighbors and don't go anywhere soon...

• User
    9 years ago

Fenstermann LLC

"Hey There: You can add a higher fence at any time as long it is on your side of the property."

Zoning regulations in most places limit fence height to 6' regardless of who's property the fence is on.

San Diego regulations

• PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    9 years ago

Dear Fred S.

I don't know where this Houzz Member is located, but you are correct, they should check with their city about the restrictions. As last option they still do have to window covering option to block the neighbor our...ttyl

• Charlotte R
    9 years ago

Yes, health information is confidential. However, you are correct, you need and should to be informed what whackos live in your neighborhood . You can check public arrest records. Sexual predators should be listed on the offenders web site. Good luck.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    9 years ago

Most regs prevent taller fence but you can plant tall bushes or trees.

On a serious note you have a problem there. Contact your local precinct and ask what can be done especially if there are kids involved.

• drae65
    9 years ago

Wow, that is creepy. Is that berm in the yard placed where he is looking over the fence? If so it looks like you could plant some arborvitae type trees that grow tall and narrow very fast. They may even block immediately if you get big enough ones. They would give you privacy year round. Another option is a clump of very large ornamental grass that you could leave standing until spring, but you will still have a few months after it is cut down in the spring with an open viewing window for him.

I agree-blinds quickly! Ones that you can raise from the bottom up so you can still get some sunlight into the house. I love blinds.com.

I also agree with talking to the police...

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

Planting some small trees or bushes could work, if they grow in that specific locale, but if he likes to look, he will find other places, which is why I suggested going to the police. this is not normal behavior and could easily escalate into something creepier. Does the man live alone?

• AllAmericanAmy
    9 years ago

eeeekk

• Angie
    9 years ago
    Hopefully he's just having his cigarette and has nothing else to look at while standing out there..
    There are a lot of great window treatments that still allow light in or allow some visibility while still private. I'd use that as an immediate fix then move to the outdoor space for added privacy while creating a usable area you'll enjoy. Good luck!
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago

My ex-husband and I had an issue with a large window that looked out over a sidewalk where people were constantly walking by and looking directly into our living room. We solved the problem by using window film that was one-way so we could see out but it was like a mirror if anyone tried to look in. There are other varieties as well. We still got all the sunshine and light but didn't need to worry about whether or not the neighbors could see me watching tv in my nightie on a sick day...It also meant the door to door salesmen couldn't look in and see that I was home when I didn't answer the door.

http://www.gilafilms.com/en/privacy-window-film.aspx#.VOuUBS5vksQ

• pixie ears and baldy
    9 years ago

oooooh how creepy

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago

Potted bamboo = quick, easy, tall fix! If you plant bamboo, be careful which variety. It is very agressive and will spread out of control quickly. Potted bamboo is well contained and yet still reach 8ft in height inside 1 growing season!

• Skip Gilliam
    9 years ago
    1st...Plant some mature shrubs or something that will block the view.

2nd...install security cams to keep an eye on this guy, if he's this much of a peeper in the daylight, imagine what he's doing at night

Or maybe he's just a fellow houzzer looking for opportunities to give friendly decorating advice to a neighbor.
  • mzloolue
    9 years ago

Make sure you fix it so that he cannot see you and not just so that you can't see him looking at you.

• Janie Burton
    9 years ago
    We love our next door neighbors, but didn't like looking at their AC unit, generator and an outside entrance, all right at our patio. So, we designed a fiberglass pergola with a more solid looking privacy wall. Lattice would not have accomplished covering all the objects we did not want to see. We are very pleased with our design.
  • User
    8 years ago

What about evegreen shrubs near of the fence?