katie_gooding

What type of flooring?

Katie Gooding
9 years ago
So the story is...

We bought a new construction "spec" home with engineered hardwood floors in the kitchen, dr, and foyer, and carpet in the family room (open to kitchen). The house is on a slab, so solid hardwoods are out of the question, as I understand it.

After a year old living here and vacuuming the hardwoods DAILY they look terrible. They are a very uniform look, and dark and have tons of dents, dings, and scratches and I need to figure out a new flooring plan!

So...I went to the store to look at some engineered hand scraped options that look a little more distressed, thinking that if they came distressed, a few more dents and dinges wouldn't matter. The majority of homes being built in my neighborhood have oak engineered hardwoods, so I kind of want to at least have a wood look, as this is not my "forever house." While at the store the hard scraped engineereds were in the $4-5/soft range, and I have about 800 sq ft to do. However, while there I also saw some vinyl planks that I really liked. They were much less expensive and I'm wondering if they would wear better than wood with 2 small children?

Anyone have experience with these? Also, I have read that the sun can be a problem, anyone with experience?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)