houzzau

Fridge or Pantry? Tomato Sauce

HouzzAU
9 years ago
Where do you store this essential ingredient?

Do you think it's obvious or is this a borderline case?
And once you've voted, tell us your reasons in the comments...
Fridge!
Pantry!

Comments (19)

• Neryl Hollingsworth
    9 years ago
    Good point Barbara but I have only a smallish fridge so sauce doesn't get a spot. Not when I have so many other condiments demanding space - and when they don't have as much sugar as tomato sauce - mine has 25%! It will go bad quicker.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    Neryl,
    Yes I understand, I'm a bit the same with my jam and promite, as they're used everyday, they are always in the cupboard. I try to keep the less used items refrigerated if possible.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • PRO
    Helenscolour
    9 years ago
    I'm a bit of a stickler for once opened it goes in the frig.
    However, peanut butter and Vegemite stay in cupboard after being opened.
    Have just checked (!) Peanut butter says to store in cool dry place, so good thing we're not in tropical Australia. Vegemite has no comment on storage that I saw.
    In Asia PB is used in Satay so guess they have it, but guess Caucasions have to refrigerate their PB if they buy it. Interesting!
  • flufftop
    9 years ago
    always kept everything in the fridge till I was Married. now hubby says in pantry! Still all ok, and more room in fridge!
  • susan_66
    9 years ago
    Flufftop, I'm the exact opposite! I'd have everything in the pantry - but the man of the house insists on it all going in the fridge.
  • suzineedsahouse
    9 years ago
    A pantry is just a fridge kept at a warmer temperature...or the other way around.
  • Susan Greig
    9 years ago
    We keep everything in the fridge...I dislike what Vegemite looks like, when kept in the pantry...besides our sub-tropical climate is too humid and warm, for them not to be refrigerated.
  • J9 B
    9 years ago
    Been in the pantry for over 50 years in our household. Who wants chilled sauce on a hot pie??
  • jackjnr
    9 years ago
    Funny how we all listen to our husbands on how to store the food ;-)
    Susan, I live in Qld and keep sauce, vege and PB in the pantry. What does fridge vegemite look like?!?!
  • herladyship92
    9 years ago
    Fridge or pantry, I always write on the item's cap with a Sharpie, the date I opened it. Especially in the fridge, some items keep much longer than is stated, but you do have to be careful, don't you....especially if guests are eating over!
  • Judy Eddington
    8 years ago
    Why would you put tomato sauce/ketchup in the fridge? It is full of preservatives.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    8 years ago
    @Judy Eddington,
    You are quite right about the level of preservative in sauce but I can assure you, it can still go off as I found only a few weeks ago.
    I kind of compare opened food products a bit like cooked or uncooked food, the facts now are that you should put hot product straight into the fridge to avoid bacteria building up and yet in the past we all waited till the food was cool before we refrigerated.
    So with condiments, I like to refrigerate for the same reason.
  • Luke Buckle
    7 years ago

Looks like the BBC has finally discovered this important topic..

• telperien
    7 years ago
    Used to be pantry, then we discovered we were putting ants on our sausage sangers with the sauce. Now it's the fridge.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ants have been the bain of my existance and it seems no matter what I do and how clean I keep the kitchen, the ants were into everything and my honey, maple syrup and anything remotely sweet now live in the fridge including my sauce and pickles.

• Betty Weaver
    7 years ago

I like fridge.. my boyfriend likes pantry! Sufficient to say we have two tomato sauce bottles in our house!

7 years ago
    Pantry until it's opened, then fridge.
  • Angel Nowlen
    4 years ago

once I have purchased any sauce from the stores everywhere I have in the cub bored until I have opened it and then I put it in the fridge cause it labels to put in the fridge after opening.