inimod77

Dull, dirty drop zone/ entranceway. Help please!

inimod77
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So, pics below show our entranceway/drop zone/ dirt,sand,mud repository! Three kids return from school through small door at end of corridor and chuck their shoes, bags etc on the floor by the other door. There is no storage at all. Any guests who come use the main door(with small desk next to it) and are normally greeted with total mess. The pictures are very misleading......it's never that tidy/clean! Looking through Houzz at all the beautiful pics of what seems to be referred to as a mud room (we're not in the States) and think something similar might work. Don't appear to be able to buy mushroom type storage units here so was thinking about a bench or similar with storage boxes underneath as well as some hooks somewhere. So questions.....which side would be best for the bench? Longer side (180cm) but then have the really ugly alarm panel above it so couldn't put hooks there. Or, side onto which the door opens leaving only 135cm. Alternatively could put bench in one side and low hooks for school bags on the other? Some things I've seen are in pics below. Shoe rack would fit either side (but obviously leave no space for storage boxes) but bench would only fit on long side. Upside is that it could also be appropriated for extra seating if ever needed with lots of guests round. Any thoughts??

Comments (12)

• Trine Vig
    8 years ago
    Love the door, but i would remove the stickers to a board on the outside wall.

I would be interesting to paint the wall whit th door black. add a black/white rug, a bench and some hooks as you metioned.

hang some lighting in the corner and maybe place a fram or a mirror to hide the alarm. see pictures for inspiration.
  • User
    8 years ago
    You need a large cabinet organizer. You can DIY, Lowes Creative Ideas has one this month, that provides storage, a bench, hooks, cubbies etc. you give up some floor space, but it would be worth it for the organization.
  • pcmom1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Looking for storage spots....don't I see a door by the stairs? Is that a closet?

There also looks like there is room for a small cabinet or armoire around the corner in the second photo.

Or a very fun "coat tree" in the hallway:

Montecito Guest House · More Info

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

You say the kids come in the small door and then bring their stuff to the large door to drop it? I think the "mudroom" needs to be at the small door. Anyone who brings their stuff out of that area has to clean the glass doors next time they need it. As for the guest entry, you need to get something bigger than that desk, and your picture needs to be lowered so the center point of it is 5' above the floor (you'll have to calculate the centimeters.) Consider making the investment to reverse the swing of the door so you can make the best of the larger wall to greet your guests with a console or credenza and some decor.

• PRO
    LDaniels Art
    8 years ago

How about a large painting or giclee print to tie it all together. See this one I did for a home decorated by Design the Senses. www.ldanielsart.com Lisa Daniels

House of Phoenix - Giclee Print · More Info

• inimod77
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So the bench is in with lots of storage now for boots etc. Am I getting there? Should I put hooks above the bench or below the picture? They need to be low enough for kids to put school bags on.
  • m m
    8 years ago

I think above the bench would look better. Agree with the commenter above that the photo on the opposite wall is hung too way too high.

• pcmom1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Gosh, I think below the picture would look better. One vote each. You could put up small pieces of blue painters tape to see.

But I think jackets and backpacks hanging above the bench would interfere with sitting there. The hooks in this photo would be way too high for kids to reach.

Built Ins with Barn Door · More Info

• pcmom1
    8 years ago

I found this unit in the Shop section. You could do something like this above the bench to hold mittens, hats. Then hooks for coats on opposite wall.

Four Cubby Wall Shelf - Black · More Info

• Trine Vig
    8 years ago

This looks great - hope it is practical for you and your kids - the little things are making it work. Love the bench, and the frames to cover up the alarm looks great.

• Melissa
    8 years ago

I think this looks so neat and practical. Thanks for the inspiration for my front door.