manager53

Master bed/bathroom designs

J Smith
8 years ago

Hi,

We just got the latest plans back and our architect needs an answer ASAP so he can make the final plans. Does anyone see any holeshey could poke in the master bed or bath?

We think the Wir is very large! However the bedroom looks a little small for us, it can just fix a king sized bed and that's it! How would you fix it?

Does the bathroom seem okay?

Thanks!

Comments (28)

• emilyam819
    8 years ago

I would sacrifice the hanging space at the "top" of the closet and give that back to the bedroom. Then you can have a dresser or chair there.

There is a lot of wasted space in the bathroom because of where the doorway is located. When the doorway is at the edge rather than the middle of a room, it makes that wall unusable. If you slide the door to the middle of the wall, you can put a longer vanity on that wall, which currently has nothing on it as far as I can tell. Then maybe the shower or tub can rotate to where the vanity was, saving a foot or two.

If a separate toilet is not a must-have for you, consider giving that space to the closet and putting the toilet inside the bathroom - slide it to the right on the plan so it's beside the vanity as described above.

• J Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi, we appreciate the feedback. One of the reasons we avoided centering the bathroom door was because it would take away the option for us to have that nice wall in front of the bed (perhaps for TV). The other is that if someone is going into the bathroom at night whole the other is sleeping we wanted to try to mitigate the light that would come into the bed.

If you could move walls around still (luckily we can) - is there another ideal solution to this problem?

• Related Discussions

Need help with my en-suite bathroom :)

Q

Comments (3)
    Reconsider not having a bathtub in your large master bath space, which currently has a good bit of wasted space, for your convenience as well as for future buyers. You also don't appear to have any counterspace or storage by the sinks, the shower is big enough that you don't need a door on it, and a small freestanding soaker tub could fit under the window in the wet area of the space if the door to the bathroom was moved a couple of feet up the wall opposite the sinks. You can't put furniture on that wall, anyway, due to the traffic pattern.
    ...See More

Need help with my new apartment (to be built)

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm finding it a little hard to see the detail. Can you enlarge the top 2 plans?
    ...See More

SOS ensuite layout

Q

Comments (0)
    my fiance & i are building a new home & we'd like some practical inspiration with designing master ensuite. the size of the room is 2.8m x 5.2, it is separate from the walk in wardrobe no need to worry about steam etc entering it. we'd like a minimalistic but functional bathroom, it will has a main window facing north / east side of the room. thought about a cavity door entering the room, would like the toilet hidden from view if the other person is lying on bed. wishlist to consider: dual shower heads, with only one of them that has a rain shower head dual basin on one vanity with mirror above one toilet shower a walk in similar to the photo i've included that was found on houzz glass to prevent water all over the floors heated towel rail, similar to the individual bars in the photo
    ...See More

Advice on layout of ensuite and wardrobe for our master b/room.

Q

Comments (4)
    Bex, if you go into the Aus forum, you will see your question isn't showing. If you want ideas, it's best to post in there. FYI. You need to change your country and re post.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    8 years ago

I would increase bedroom space just making WIC smaller.

• J Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

so we asked for a new design and we were given the ones below, what are your thoughts :-)

Option A: In the first place we have an almost 3m double shower and bathtub. A vanity, and toilet. I worry that having a 3m double shower is way to big.... And cold! Less intimate.

In option B we have jiggled everything around made our walkin closet longer and added the vanity on the nook of the WIC. We would then have space (2m) for the wet room double shower and tub. The main flaw we see with this plan is that we are moving the toilet over from near the WIC to closer to the master bedroom. That, and the fear (without being there in person) that it may be too claustrophobic?

Can anyone poke any holes in the design - anything you would change or ones you like better? Which would you choose and why?

Thanks!

• emilyam819
    8 years ago

I like both, but would eliminate what looks like built-ins in the bedroom. Freestanding furniture would give the feel of more space.

Option A - can't you move the wall to reduce the size of the huge shower/bath and give more room to the bedroom? You are right, the wet space is huge. Or, is there room to rotate both 90 degrees and have the tub and shower face each other with a little space between, to enter each one?

Option B - there is not much space to actually move in the bathroom. If the inside of the toilet room is 3 feet (1m?) then it is doable. If you go with a plan like this, eliminate the closet space at the top and change the entry to the closet so it is right across from the entry to the bedroom. That will also give you more room in the bedroom.

• J Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Question - for Option A - is it an issue (or am I just being a bit silly) that the vanity laid horizontal like that is not centered with the walkway (because it is right next to toilet)? I am a person that really likes symmetry and so it bothered me. In fact, it was the primary reason why I was playing around with Option B.

What are your thoughts for a design or best practices point of view?

If as you suggest going with Option B is better - I can see why you would remove part of the wardrobe to free up a bit more space in the more - optically anyways as I don't think it is usable space. Would you put a door on it or leave it open like that?

• jradnell
    8 years ago
    I hope the photo is clear enough. This option makes your bedroom bigger. It gives you more wall space because it removes a doorway and it means you can use the toilet with out bothering anyone in the shower. Your bathroom won't be much smaller and you also gain a window in your WIR. Good luck.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

ok, i am not an expert, i think i like jr. best. but I also like b, i think. i can not find the toilet. I think, if I were doing this, I would first square off the bed room, no more closet or bathroom space stuck in there. maybe 2 doors? pocket for both or at least closet? then play around the bath needs. Do you need 2 sinks? I know everyone thinks they are must haves. I always just see 2 sinks to clean. I believe like all other ideas, it will fade away. so it is up to you are you selling soon, really want it, or prefer the space. I also saw no storage in the bathroom, where you putting the towels and tp? giving up a sink may allow a taller cabinet to accomodate all that stuff. but just cut out your little squares - sink, toilet inclosure, etc. and maybe what is left will tell the size of the shower, unless it must be this size, whatever that is. then give its own square. I vote building your own home should allow for a larger bedroom. feels wrong otherwise.

• J Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Jr, I like your suggestion, especially since it gives s but more free (usable) space to the bedroom. Wouldn't a more open bathroom feel roomier however? Would it "feel" tight in such an arrangement?

I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not but we are not renovating here - this is a new build design. Would moving walls around - even extending to the right or further down help in any way?

• J Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also, would you find it necessary to have a door for the Wir if it wasn't adjoining the bathroom (and moisture)?

• stewy2you
    8 years ago
    There is nothing worth more than having a large bedroom!
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

so true. J smith, I think I would still want a door on wardrobe right, do not understand wir. Might be mainly because of my fuzzy people, but I just think i would want one anyway.

• J Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Is there any standard practice on what size a master bedroom needs to be in order to accommodate a workable WIR, bathroom, and plenty of usable space. I am torn between when we need versus what makes sense when taking into account resale value. We only really get one shot (due to the budget) so want to get it as close to "wow" as possible but without making it too unique to our family.

For example, we don't need a huge WIR personally, but for others it is crucial - hence the consideration. For us also, we just sleep in the room and spend more of the time in the rest of the house - but - if we are trying to appeal to all - we need to forward think a bit here.

What do others expect with such things? What is too big and not worth the extra expense and too small to be appealing?

• havingfun
    8 years ago

ok, I remember several years ago a woman I worked with was involved in a project to build homes for the needy. She felt that you just could not fit 3 bedrooms and 1.5 bathes into 1500 sq. feet. I grew up around some new homes at that time that were 1100 square feet with 1.5 baths and 3 bdrooms. i have seen 7x8 bedrooms in old houses - I ask who are they kidding? I recently saw an 8000 sq ft house with 3 bedrooms. who are they kidding. a very relative question. So I don't think so, personally,I think you have to look at the size of the home. So if it is 3000 or so square feet I think that bedroom should be roughly 20 ft each way? I have seen 15x15 or smaller in a big home, same question-who are they kidding. My mothers is more, has a family room-huge, 3 bdrms, 2.5 baths, formal dining/living room, as big or more than the family room. Her kitchen isnt tiny, but I would want more. Her home is about 2400 square feet. Is it for couples or for young families, how many beds and baths. You know, it is all important in the size. Someone, does not want a living room and bedroom the same size. but most want good sizes, those walkins, kitchens, and master baths are also important too. Good size home, room for king, 2 good size dressers and a seating area, you also have 3 doors to worry about. and windows. That is where I would start on the size. try to have fun.

• J Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their continual feedback. May I ask your guy's opinion on whether we should go with the designers suggested wet room (with tub and shower in the same glass enclosure - but separate from each other) or whether we should be aiming to find a solution that keeps these separated?

• emilyam819
    8 years ago

Personally, I do not like the wet room. Seems awkward. But you are not in the US, correct? Are wet rooms more common where you are?

How long do you plan to live in this house? If 8 years or more, I would not build with resale in mind. Build for you.

One thing that is chopping up your space is the separate toilet room. And the bathtub. If you do not need these, then don't waste space with them.

• J Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We are in NZ and personally I have never seen these anywhere except online. I find it interesting that our designer would suggest something that wasn't "common" here but from what I can tell they are popular in other parts of the world.

We plan to be in this house next 20 years while we raise the kids but realise that sometimes plans change and thus want to be conscious that this can't be so unique to us that it wouldn't appeal to other buyers.

We do like the separate toilet as this is a bathroom we envision using together (hence the double shower and tub) but with that being said we wonder if leaving the tub out is s good idea - once again, thinking about future proofing. We would use it, but likely not nearly as frequently as the shower.

Anyone else against the wet room idea?

• emilyam819
    8 years ago

In 20 years, a new owner would want to remodel the bathroom anyway. I encourage you to build what YOU want.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

I agree with emily. if you want leave connections and/or a little extra room for what you don't want, but feel you may need for resale. I think the tub is a pretty important item. wet room not at all, and shower is give or take. i would prefer a big shower and a tub for soaking in, but I have always had the combo. I remember my mom built during big wet bar craze, she did not care for one. had space built, capped off connections and use as a closet. Now it is 35 years later, everyone wants to buy and tear down. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. i agree, I would also really like the separate toilet, we are not share everything people.

• jradnell
    8 years ago
    Quick question. Why does the bath look so big? Have you thought of a free standing bath? I wouldn't do the wet room idea because it will make the room look smaller because it will divide the room in half. Could you go to any house and land display villages? They will give you some ideas on what works and sizes etc.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

you know maybe the designer wants to do it, so they can take a lot of pictures and be the only kid on the block who has done one. just food for thought. I mean you gotta get the background in a field from somewhere.

• J Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

jr - That was my feeling too about a wet room - in 2 ways.

1. It would look more "tight" to move around with the glass in the way - although technically being about to see through the glass should alleviate some of that optically.

2. I worried that I would feel like I was in a tile/glass cage while soaking in the tub :-). Almost like the "cone of silence".

Having never been in a wetroom before, it is hard to imagine and if it wasn't at the suggestion of our designer I am not sure I would ever have considered. We will try to jiggle with tub/shower separate to see what options we come up with.

• jradnell
    8 years ago
    I don't know if you can use this in NZ but it's pretty helpful.
    http://www.reece.com.au/bathrooms/3d-bathroom-planner
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

I am not poster, but i am running right out to try that!

• Amanda Roberts
    3 years ago

Wetrooms are good if you want to have it into old age and envision yourself in a wheelchair or have wheelchair friends who may visit. If not I would not worry about it. They are very slippery if made beautiful.

• robandlyn
    3 years ago

very old post

• PRO
    homeprojects
    3 years ago

Save space and have the toilet in the ensuite.

Master Ensuite · More Info