smokintonys

Please Help Us Choose a Shade of White Paint

Tony Li
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We are looking to choose a bright white color for our apartment. Whites with a blue tint or a pure bright white is what we would like. Pratt and Lambert Designer White and Wedding Veil by Benjamin Moore are looking good.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (48)

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

Buy a sample of each and see what you think. That's the only real way to know if it's going to work in your home.

Tony Li thanked hayleydaniels
  • gelvella
    8 years ago

Would you consider a light grey? In such a well lit room it wouldn't be dark at all and would provide some contrast to bring the other details of your furniture out as it currently seems to blend in.

From experience whatever you choose do not go for cream or magnolia, the most overused colours on the Maltese islands, after some time it gives the idea of a room being either dated or dirty.

Tony Li thanked gelvella
  • Related Discussions

Help me choose a wallpaper!!

Q

Comments (25)
    There are tons of papers available that would go with your midcentury home. Many people tire of a paper quicker than they are ready to redecorate and they can also look dated in a couple of years. Metallic papers were big im midcentury...perhaps a metallic silver paper? Are you also considering paint? You can get it in so many textures and a blue wall to match the blue in your loveseat would be lovely with some midcentury art and sculpture, or photographs on it. A mirrored wall with or without art or sculpture would also work with midcentury. These treatments are easier to adapt should you wish to change the look slightly from time to time. I would suggest replacing your stairrail with chrome or acrylic if that is in the budget...see how well the loveseat frame looks with the fabric? I hope you will post the "after" photos for us to see. Above all, enjoy the process!
    ...See More

Need help choosing size of kitchen tap

Q

Comments (3)
    Without more information, I don' t believe you can gain much information from your poll. Is there a window behind your sink, how large or deep is your sink, is this on an island .... Gut instinct for a nice kitchen tap is always to go big.... but hard to say without fitting it into a bigger picture.
    ...See More

Which blind colour? Please help

Q

Comments (10)
    Much as I love wood blinds, in your case I would go with the white. I'm afraid the wood blinds would chop up this expanse of windows where as the white would give you a blank slate. You could always add color in roman shades, etc. (Love the flowering trees!)
    ...See More

Building a new house - kitchen help please

Q

Comments (40)
    We got the IKEA shelves that are pictured in the butlers pantry photo I posted when we were on holiday in Melbourne, Australia. We don't have IKEA here in New Zealand! Hubby is going back over in May/June so will get him to get more of that sort of thing when there. We would pay about 4x the price for that sort of thing here in NZ. I need to work out what I will do now where the fridge was and there is the angle change (does that make sense?).
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    8 years ago

I love your white paint color selections. For the trim I always recommend Super White by Benjamin Moore.

Tony Li thanked Studio M Interior Design
  • PRO
    Decorative Philosophy
    8 years ago

Super White is a good choice.

Karen & Joseph

for Decorative Philosophy

Tony Li thanked Decorative Philosophy
  • Julia Hale
    8 years ago

White is one of the hardest to choose. They all have color in them that you do not see till on the wall. I have started asking the person who mixes paint to tell me what is in the one I think I like. If green or blue is in the mix I know what I will see.

Tony Li thanked Julia Hale
  • see_
    8 years ago

Super white by BM all the way.

Tony Li thanked see_
  • PRO
    Century Interiors Inc
    8 years ago

If you are set on white for the apartment, also look at Sherwin Williams Original White. We have many requests for this classic, clean color for our renovations. Good luck choosing!

Tony Li thanked Century Interiors Inc
  • Gusto
    8 years ago

I used BM Simply White, and I love it.

Tony Li thanked Gusto
  • chloebud
    8 years ago

Definitely check out Simply White!

Tony Li thanked chloebud
  • Katherine Medina
    8 years ago

Hi I am Katherine and I live here in the Philippines. I have the same dilemma as Tony Li. We are planning to renovate our dirty kitchen but I'm not quite sure which white color to use. I plan to use the color turquoise for the lower cabinets. So I guess it should go well with this color. This kitchen is not as bright as our main kitchen, I'm looking for a white that could brighten up the place. For the rest of our house, our walls are in a calm quiet white. Suggestions are most welcome.

Tony Li thanked Katherine Medina
  • Anna Rhees
    8 years ago

Paint some large samples on poster board or even right on the wall and take a look at your options in several different lights in the room you're planning to paint. Whites in particular look drastically different depending on what the light is reflecting off of and what lighting you are using. It's well worth the extra $10-20 in samples to get it right!

Tony Li thanked Anna Rhees
  • Marvin Dy
    8 years ago

May be just look at the color swatches and pick at least a hint of pastel blue. Or pastel grayish blue. I suggest you should have an accent color that you want to paint on one of the walls.

Tony Li thanked Marvin Dy
  • PRO
    Alexandra Nicole Newton
    8 years ago

Narrow down to 3 or 4 paints and paint several big sample areas on your wall. Even if you have to pay a little extra it is definitely worth it. You will really be surprised when you see the samples at various times of day. You may be surprised to find the one you liked the most on paper will be the one you like the least in full light of day.

Tony Li thanked Alexandra Nicole Newton
  • Laura Ricci
    8 years ago

Ditto for painting large samples on the walls. White is tricky and will fake you out in small samples. Your location (California light is white, NE US light is grey/blue) outdoor foliage, floors will all reflect white walls. Ideally you check the samples during different times of day, but if you don't have that luxury, check the samples at the time of day you'll be in that room. The paint shown in the picture seems to be tinted golden to complement the flooring, OR it is picking up the golden color of the flooring. Too blue might clash with the flooring or make it look orange. Don't get too wired. The furniture you put in the room will make a difference too, so you can tune the walls with rugs and large furniture pieces.

Tony Li thanked Laura Ricci
  • antonellak
    8 years ago

I absolutely love wedding veil in egg shell. It works better with contemporary furniture where you might want crisp contrast then super while. I've used it all over our home and am very pleased with it. BTW, keep in mind that the light bulbs you use in you home affect the color of the paint. Most light bulbs will cast a yellowish tone even on a crisp bright white like this. If you have a Home Depot nearby, they have a great light bulb display that can help you find the bulbs that cast a more blueish hue because I can't recall what they were called at the moment.

Tony Li thanked antonellak
  • jmtucker40
    8 years ago

I have Benjamin Moore Simply White in my Entry and Living Room that receives A LOT of natural light. It is a beautiful bright white that has a touch of warmth to it (there is green and yellow in the base.) We also used Simply White in our children's rooms that only have one window and it is perfect in there as well. We loved it so much we used it in our Master Bedroom -- and it didn't work. We have pale European White Oak floors in our bedroom that needed a perfectly clean bright white (no undertones) - so we repainted it BM Super White and it is amazing! Super clean and bright white - your walls disappear. The most pure white - and it does not feel sterile or cold - just clean and soothing. Hope this helps.

Tony Li thanked jmtucker40
  • Mark
    8 years ago

Benjamin Moore Decorators White would be my choice.

Tony Li thanked Mark
  • jmtucker40
    8 years ago

One more thing: If you want a white with a blue undertone, BM Decorators White is it. Perfect choice for that. If you want a pure clean bright white with no undertones, BM Super White is the one.

• janlucci
    8 years ago
    Take a look at Sherman Williams Elder White to soften walls in such a bright space.
    Tony Li thanked janlucci
  • PRO
    CJ Corporation Ltd
    8 years ago
    If the space gets a lot of sun, going for bright white paint isn't a practical idea, unless you don't mind wearing sunglasses indoor. Go for whites with a hint of grey.
    Tony Li thanked CJ Corporation Ltd
  • landartist
    8 years ago

I echo the two comments about light grey walls. We had light grey walls in several rooms with bright white glossy trim. It worked well with everything.

Tony Li thanked landartist
  • Deanie Bergbreiter
    8 years ago

Could you recommend a white with light grey undertone? I'm having the same issue.

Tony Li thanked Deanie Bergbreiter
  • diyer59
    8 years ago

I always lean towards whites that are warmer that cooler, but it depends on the natural light in the room too. Put samples of both on all the walls, look at it throughout the day, it makes a difference.

Tony Li thanked diyer59
  • jmtucker40
    8 years ago

To answer Deanie, Benjamin Moore White Dove is a white with a light gray undertone.

• wittmanlady
    8 years ago

For a clean white with no undertones I used Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace...I think Super White may have a tinge of grey....I wanted a pure white for a contemporary home.

Tony Li thanked wittmanlady
  • martharothschild
    8 years ago

Benjamin Moore Super White is the most amazing color of white. It is the whitest of the whites. I have tries tons of other whites and they just didn't cut it. Fantastic. Use it on the ceiling, for the walls use Eggshell and for the trim work us Satin. I want to suggest getting Behr paint sold at Home Depot and giving them the color swatch to match. It comes out perfectly. Home Depot has many colors of Benjamin Moore right in the computer to mix up but they did not have Super White. The cost difference is crazy between the two. Behr may be around $18.00 a gallon and Benjamin Mooore may be around $60.00. And believe me, I am a home renovater and the paint and color is exact. Go with the Behr.

Tony Li thanked martharothschild
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 years ago

My vote, too, is BM super white.

Tony Li thanked JudyG Designs
  • 7slr
    8 years ago

For what it's worth, I found the Super White a bit too shrill -- maybe it's the light at high altitude or something. After many, many paint samples I finally settled on Behr's Powdered Snow, which manages to be both bright and sort of soft and creamy, and looks terrific with the very pale, almost raw-looking wood floors.

Tony Li thanked 7slr
  • Marc Jerut
    8 years ago

I like Super white also.

Tony Li thanked Marc Jerut
  • Tony Li
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi,
    Thanks to Everyone for the very helpful tips really appreciated. Unfortunately samples are out of our budget. Looks like Super White is leading here.
    Decorator White looks nice in Marks above pic.
    Do We need that blue undertone?
    What will stay "white and clean looking" longer? we are smokers.

We are planning on color matching for cost saving and painting ceiling ,trim ,walls all the same white. Super confused and would like to go pick up the paint today ;)

Cheers Guys

• martharothschild
    8 years ago

Tony, matching the ceiling, walls and trim all the same color is perfect. The only thing you want to do is change the finish per my post earlier: ceiling paint will be a matt finish, the walls should be Eggshell finish, and the wood trim around windows and baseboards etc. use a Satin. Again, Benjamin Moore Super White at Home Depot using the Behr products. Forget the grey or blue undertones, the walls would look dingy. Especially if you use one of those colors on everything. Ugh. Use fabric, seating, paintings on the walls, pillows, etc. to bring out the perfect grey and blue tones. Your room will pop. Consider your paint as the backdrop. It is your furnishings, placement and color tones you choose that brings the room together. I believe you are drawn to rooms like you see in Coastal Living and on Houzz. They do the same thing I am suggesting.

Tony Li thanked martharothschild
  • Mark
    8 years ago

Tony Li I'm not familiar with the other whites but have always loved BM decorator white. An all white place can be stunning !

Best of luck, Mark

Tony Li thanked Mark
  • diyer59
    8 years ago

Better pick up some extra paint if you're both smokers--that will yellow around the top of walls and low ceiling. If you plan on resale anytime soon, a word to the wise: many a nice home has been passed up, or had the price lowered, because non-smokers didn't want to deal with the toxic chemicals imbedded in carpets, on walls, etc.

Tony Li thanked diyer59
  • Tony Li
    Original Author
    8 years ago

would there be a "universal" finish we could use everywhere? trying to keep cost low on our apartment rental paint project :)

• User
    8 years ago

Samples at Home Depot are about $3.00 for way more than you need to make a decision. Worth the price for 3-4 samples.

• Tony Li
    Original Author
    8 years ago

originally we were leaning towards Frost by Behr

• Nina Bevels Thompson
    8 years ago
    I have Sherman Williams Eider White which has gray and is a good white for bright rooms. If u search on Houzz there are rooms painted SW Eider White.
    Tony Li thanked Nina Bevels Thompson
  • Patrick Robbins
    8 years ago
    faux finish the wall call me I'm master 2392650505
  • PRO
    Hand Built Designs
    8 years ago
    I know it's quite out of favour with most designers but brilliant white works really well as background particularly if you want to add splashes of colour. Muted tones & colour greys really sing when teamed with brilliant white. Colour whites tend to lessen or dampen the effect.
    Tony Li thanked Hand Built Designs
  • Rita Seymour
    8 years ago

Go with the Behr Paint. The store can "color match" for you with no charge. No point spending $$$ on the landloard's place.

We used to smoke; you'd be surprised just how much the colors in your home are altered by it. I would be less concerned about the paint color and more concerned about the idea of not smoking inside. When we finally quit, I actually had to get rid of some of our upholstered furniture and draperies and re-do the rest to get rid of the odor.

I'm not judging the smoking, just telling it like it is. Good luck.

Tony Li thanked Rita Seymour
  • diyer59
    8 years ago

Tony, a "universal" finish to help with the yellowing from smoke? None that I know of. Best solution: stop smoking--good for the paint and your health. If this is a rental, why isn't the owner financing the painting project?

Tony Li thanked diyer59
  • PRO
    Aboff's Commack
    8 years ago

Better yet, Tony, smoke outside. This will help preserve your work--the paint job and everything else inside like the carpeting, cabinetry, etc.

Tony Li thanked Aboff's Commack
  • Tony Li
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hi thanks for the suggestions . its a time share rental so we change the color every year. :) If would pick 1 finish to paint all walls, trim, ceiling what finish satin, flat, matte, semi ??? We like to keep out of pocket costs down because time of reimbursement from the property management but they do cover it completely :)

• Tony Li
    Original Author
    8 years ago

anybody do any recent project pics with decorators white by Benjamin Moore used on walls ?

• Marvin Dy
    8 years ago

I think you have so much space in your house and you have wide windows, why not paint it just like the color you mention. Becuse if it's so much white, isn't it so very bright inside?

• Marvin Dy
    8 years ago

Hi, Katherine, I'm Marvin, Filipino as well, as you mention that you want to renovate or repaint your dirty kitchen. Try to use what I said earlier under @ Toni's comments. Maybe it will help your kitchen more cleaner and brighter.

• ertb
    8 years ago

Hello! I used BM China White, which has a subtle grey undertone, in my den/kitchen/hallway and I love it.