houzzaupolls

Black tapware: Timeless or a fad?

HouzzAU Polls
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Do you think that the recent trend of black tapware is here to stay or is it a fad likely to fade as quickly as it appeared?

The black matt-finished tapware lends a sleek and elegant touch for any contemporary space, from the industrial to ultra-modern. The stark look is usually contrasted against white tiles in a kitchen or bathroom.

Fashionable!
Fad.

Comments (22)

• chookchook2
    8 years ago

It's nice in the right bathroom.

• Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    Black? Oil rubbed bronze has been popular for awhile now. This is a more modern take on it. I think it has potential to last.
  • PRO
    AKS Homes Pty Ltd
    8 years ago

I agree that it will most probably be a bit of a fad in Australia.

• Lucy Magill
    8 years ago

Ive just got new black tapware and i LOVE it!!

• goneon
    8 years ago

A change is as good as a rest!

• goneon
    8 years ago

I should have added I have put standard chrome in the bathrooms, but the Laundry where the men go with yucky hands I'm trying black! anything for an easy life..................................

• LouieT
    8 years ago

I would love to have black tapware - whether fad or fashion!

• f00lpr00f
    8 years ago

We have just done some major renovations in our 1860's stone cottage and opted for tapware, shower head and towel rails all in black with large white tiles from floor to ceiling. Looks fabulous!!!

• dlextension
    8 years ago

I voted it as a fad, but at the same time, it can be very stylish when installed in the correct setting. We ordered chrome taps for our extension. Black is not for us.

• Naomi
    8 years ago
    Black might be easier to keep clean, as well as being more sophisticated IMO, hate constantly polishing watermarks off chrome fixtures
  • Kim Westwood
    8 years ago

sometimes I like it others no, depends on how its used, definately not in kitchen. some bathrooms it looks great. personally not for me.

• Kim Westwood
    8 years ago

i still think its a fad until something else comes along. taps are not something I would like to change too often

• junipergirl
    8 years ago

Back in the 70's it was popular but soon lost ground. Back then often the 'Victorian era' was all the rage and lots of black taps, big wooden dark boards, and lots of red were used in bathrooms. Today's brighter and lighter bathrooms look nice with the black tapware, but personally I don't like it. Who knows if a big black spidey has crawled on it and then I go to turn on a tap.......arrrrgh, I hate big black spidies!

• Jenny
    8 years ago

If the black is only on the surface , chipping could be a problem.

• MarieKate
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I love black tapware and I think it will be around for a few years. It seems that black, copper and all things coloured are making big waves. Black is such a great complementary bathroom colour for all the brights that are also trending and probably here to stay for a while.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=methven+coloured+taps&espv=2&biw=911&bih=445&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMItvbI8qvlyAIViZqUCh3kvg1z#tbm=isch&q=coloured+tapware&imgrc=26qdG_I1UN7lWM%3A

• lomboshouse
    8 years ago

I like the look of it but won't it scratch and then look very tatty?

• Jenny
    8 years ago

I keep a black permanent marker handy. Plus various brown textas for timber touch ups.

• robandlyn
    4 years ago

It's interesting that the original post is 4 years old, but black taps are still very much on trend.....some 'fads' only last a year or two max.

• Michelle Cullen
    2 years ago

It’s now 2021 and black taps are still IN!!!

• lostinreno
    2 years ago

It's ok if there are other touches of black like in the photo.

• Anne Monsour
    11 months ago

2023 ! And black taps are still fashionable .