karenlyn

Super practical addition that KILLS curb appeal. Fixable?

karenlyn
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Our new house is super practical for our family. The 800 sq foot addition the previous owners added to the front is a perfect workshop for my home business. It's also ugly. as. sin. And doesn't at all mesh with the house. It hurts my eyeballs to look at it. How can we possibly make this a more graceful addition to the pre-existing house? Add a peaked roof? I don't even know if that would do it!

Comments (10)

• fianou
    8 years ago

It would be really tricky to try and repitch the roof, but what about creating a little porch over the door, echoing the pitch of the roof of the house. And maybe some window boxes with bright flowers to maximise the cuteness? Soft drapes behind the windows would look nice too. Then create a nice approach to the business with a few cottage garden plants. It will soften the way the building sits against the ground. Actually a beautiful cottage garden across the front of the whole site could look great.

• PRO
    archimondo
    8 years ago

Flashing neon signage on the addition and paint the house a god-awful colour so that the workshop doesn't look so bad.

• LouieT
    8 years ago

Build a tall attractive fence next to the workshop to create a courtyard entry to the house. Is painting all of it an option, that green is not helping.

• dohraime
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A peaked roof would certainly make it more cohesive. If not that, then maybe a peaked parapet on front facade??? Though it may stand out more on single story structure.

If you are able to build in front of the addition, could you add a peaked pergola? Or a portico style porch similar to the house.

• queenie
    8 years ago

Paint both buildings, but not necessarily the exact same colours as long as they are complimentary. Add a cute porch on the front entry that matches the house, I agree with the window boxes and get a lovely flower garden to take the eyes off the addition. Most things cute are forgiveable!

• PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    8 years ago

Part of the problem is the visible upper story of the home behind the workshop. If the structure of the w/shop roof is strong enough, would you consider a roof-top garden up there? With a bit of height this would then remove next doors' upper level. You could use planter boxes for the tubs. Have a look at the Burnley College roof top garden on their website for ideas if this interests you.

I would also consider quirky for the workshop. There is a big bland area above the windows and door that could have a mosaic mural or something like this to make it stand out - in bold colours. Or is this too risque? Both are rather cute tho.

Alison

• Hugh Maguire
    8 years ago

I would celebrate the contrast between the two buildings, not try to match them. Replace the front door of the office with a full glass one, paint the walls a more neutral colour- maybe a warm charcoal, , and the window frames a complimentary lighter grey. Perhaps the house in off white with charcoal trim. Let them be themselves, and both will look better. The flat roof form is fine.

• rna1962
    8 years ago
    Try and match the windows with the gabled section of the house. Add some matching trim to the flat roofed section and attach a matching porch as on the gabled section. You may also like to consider a change of colour scheme to the whole building to contrast the lovely garden. I'd also add a pencil pine to the section where the two buildings join to soften the difference. Please see attached altered picture.....
  • HU-319610855
    3 years ago

KERB!