mallory5nz

Wanting Cozy not Claustrophobic

mallory5nz
8 years ago

I am in the process of building a raised/built in sleeping nook for a queen size mattress. It will be used daily by an adult.

The sleeping area is raised 35" off the floor as there is a "doggy den" underneath. I'm planning on having steps/a platform beside the nook for easy bed access (since this height is considerably higher than normal bed height and doesn't even take into account the mattress height!).

Above this sleeping nook is ANOTHER sleeping nook... accessed from an adjoining room. Each sleeping area will have nice comfy mattresses as well as built in shelving, lighting, etc.The higher sleeping nook will only be used by occasional guests.

My question is regarding ceiling height in the sleeping areas. I want the sleeping areas to feel cozy but certainly not claustrophobic. People should be able to comfortably sit up in bed as well as to get in/out without being concerned about hitting their heads. But I also don't want the sleeping area ceilings to be so high as to lose that cozy aspect.

The photo shows the start of the lower nook. Once the floor of the upper nook was started I realized we had not allowed enough head space room for the lower area (currently only 43" from "base" to ceiling). (The cutouts on the "sides" indicate the height of the doggy den underneath... the base of the lower sleeping nook.)

The new plan is to allow 5' from base to ceiling for each nook but I'm now wondering if that is TOO much??? We do have the height available as the rooms currently have 11' ceilings
and we have substantial open attic space above to encroach upon if
necessary. I measured my daughter's queen size mattress and it was nearly 12" deep. Using that measurement would allow 4' of headroom from the top of the mattress. Too much (loss of coziness??) or too little (claustrophobia inducing!)???

Comment (1)