gioenne_rapisarda

Pets in the bedroom: unhygienic or acceptable?

In our recent Houzz survey about pets & the home, we asked whether your pets slept with you or separately in different quarters. The results aren't out just yet, but we thought it would be interesting to hear the reasoning behind such decisions.

Do you think having pets in the bedroom is unhygienic? Or is snuggling up to your pooch pals and furry friends completely acceptable?

Tell us your thoughts!

Custom Furnishings · More Info

Ugh! Unhygienic!
Completely acceptable
Other - tell us!

Comments (51)

• Gioenne Rapisarda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Do you think so, Shake it up? WHat about living etc downstairs, beds upstairs?

• User
    8 years ago

Our cats have beds in the bathroom due to continence issues, dogs share a kennel outside. Chooks and ducks are pets but have their own house.

• PRO
    Shake It Up! Business Solutions
    8 years ago

Yes Gioenne. Think about when you visit a friend with an indoor cat or dog. When you leave you always manage to find their animal's hair on you even if you never pet them.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Done it since i was kid, never made me ill.

• dogmom5
    8 years ago
    Doubt just being in the bedroom is unhygienic or any more than them lying on a couch, rugs, holding them. IMHO
  • jmm1837
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Our dog would love to sleep in the bedroom (and has done so on occasion). However, he snores. Having one snorer in the room is bad enough; I couldn't cope with two. So, he sleeps outside the bedroom door. The dog, that is...

• havingfun
    8 years ago

so now you have stereophonic snoring? lol

I had a cat who farted as he aged, a dog who snored, and the hubby, well, there were times there just was no room for me in that bed or room. lol

• telperien
    8 years ago
    Hubby starts sneezing and wheezing if he is inside with dogs or horses (yes, it has happened that we have been indoors with horses, but not with them in the bedroom) (thought I should just clarify that). Doesn't seem to be a problem with the cats, so the cats sleep there during the day, we sleep in the bedroom in the night, everyone's happy.
  • User
    8 years ago

Which room did you have the horse? Lollol!

• telperien
    8 years ago
    Doesn't everyone have a horse in their lounge room?
  • User
    8 years ago

Very nice!

• Laura
    8 years ago

My 8 year old kelpie cross has always been a house dog. For the first few years of her life she wasn't allowed on the lounge. Then I got divorced and she was promoted to lounge privileges. As my youngest grew to sleep in her own bed through the night over the last few years, the dog has been promoted to other side of the bed. She is so cute though and will wait to be invited up. She is washed regularly and is more continent than some kids I've slept with!

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

Pets are family for most people so of course they're allowed in the bedroom!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Well natch laura, pets always have the manners in the family.

• vekica
    8 years ago

Totally acceptable!!

• Yvonne Newman
    8 years ago

We allowed the cat on the bed and put up with having to clean the fur off each morning. Then he had a spate of sleeping on the couch instead of with us and it was blissful, more space and no dander. So we made a separate bed for him in the bedroom and encourage him to sleep in the bedroom on his own bed by making our bed uncomfortable for him, no space for him, move around all the time, no patting him etc. and it has worked, he happily sleeps on his own bed now. The Wonderdog Jack, has always slept on the floor beside my bed, where ever I am .. he is there beside me and I like it that way.

• Yvonne Newman
    8 years ago

When I lived on my parents horse stud, I always slept in the stable with my horse.

• User
    8 years ago

Click on it.

• Kerrie Langloy7
    8 years ago

If you're one of those people who NEVER bath their dog having them in you bed is NOT good. If you give them a bath fairly regularly your house won't smell like "dog" & neither will your bed. My little dog (he gets a bath every 2 weeks) used to sleep in the bed with me & the cats on the bed. Then one day he just decided he wasn't going to sleep there anymore....don't know why! Maybe I smell! LOL! Or he decided there was no way he was sharing a bed with 2 cats! LOL! Cats still sleep on the bed & the dog on the couch. hayleydaniels you are absolutely right & spot on!! Our pets are FAMILY!!! :- )

• Kerrie Langloy7
    8 years ago

chookchook2 your "please help" link didn't work

• User
    8 years ago

Yes, Kerrie, the malicious flagger struck again. We are still putting out a yearbook though. Months of hard work will not go to waste. Getting back to it, enjoy the meme up above. :)

• lanaloveslounging
    8 years ago

Unavoidable! And really, I wouldn't have it any other way. My kitty has no concept of personal space and is most happy when snuggled up to my bosom or face.

I am something of a germaphobe so I bathe her often, and use kitty safe cleaning wipes when I groom her daily.

• dohraime
    8 years ago

@ideal drape makers, your comment about getting a bigger bed reminded me of this story. The couple built a bed to accommodate them and their pets.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/elainawahl/this-couple-made-a-giant-bed-so-all-their-pets-could-sleep-w#.rurNoqYVX

• PRO
    ideal drape makers
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks dohraime - That is priceless! .... I admit something similar did come to mind and in retrospect I should have followed my regular advice to clients about 'waiting till they can do a job properly.' ... We still fight for space! lol. I'm just glad I now have two Cockers and not the Newfoundlands I grew up with. Thanks for sharing that with me. I don't fee so silly for having entertained thoughts along similar lines, though I now regret I didn't follow through and realise my vision (something similar but not quite so eloquent as the solution in the article link you posted).

• havingfun
    8 years ago

It really does not matter the size of the bed you know, unless it is walled in like the example, they always push you out, you move an inch, they move an inch. I believe it is the cuddle that is killer. tehehe

• therockster
    8 years ago

Our fox terrier shares the bed - was never going to be allowed, but hubby caved in. He is washed very regularly, probably more than is good for him, but that is the trade off. No manky dogs in my bed!

• Linda
    8 years ago

Seriously , how could phoebe sleep outside

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Is phoebe maltese or bichon, looks just like our little tennerife boy, Beauregard!

• Kim Westwood
    8 years ago

as much as we love our fur babies they do live outside undercover, protected from wind, rain etc. If they are inside then they would have freedom to sleep wherever they want. I do know of a lot of people who have big dogs in the house but not sure if they sleep on the beds. As far as I know they have their own beds. But ours are outside dogs and they have their own lounge undercover.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

This, as in all things, is a matter of sensibilities. i would never let my own pets sleep outside, but you know, it is the way you feel and you appear to really care, and as I always say, without you and me and the others here, they would have had no life at all. so, I for one, want to say kudos to everybody, who took the responsibility on of caring for these kind souls in what may have been a current or future hour of need. Too many don't, or make such hard rules, it is hard for anyone else to care for them.

• ksherrin
    8 years ago

im a bit unfair, I let kitty on the bed but not the dog - sorry puppy!

• rredpenn
    8 years ago

Me too, ksherrin. My cat has her place on my pillow. The dogs are on the floor... well, one of them is. The Diva always crawls onto the loveseat in our room, so it's become hers. Whatareyagonnado?

• janbhan
    8 years ago

Our dachshund Begum slept in our bed from day three, when H1 brought her in to stop her crying. For the next 13 years that was her place, toothpasted in between us and with her own blanket. Dogs and cats give me hay fever, and forget about horses! But one cat or dog at a time and I get used to them. The hay fever settles, but flares with a new animal. I wanted to be a vet, but decided my allergy would be too much.

Just arrived for 5 weeks in California with D3. They have a standard poodle, and so far the allergy hadn't flared much. But she is not allowed in the bedroom!

I'd say pets in the bedroom are fine as long as they and their bedding are washed once a week. You might want to vacuum the room frequently. My mother always had the dog in her room, in a basket next to her bed. We told the home help to make sure the bedding was washed regularly, no problems that I could see.

I think we are way too hygienic these days. Keeping everything germ free doesn't build up your up immunity.

Gioenne Rapisarda thanked janbhan
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

i am with you jan. i have allergies to animals too. But mainly seems to be when others are acting up. I believe poodles, like most of the tenerifes are the original allergy free dogs? With horses, i think the big thing is the hay? Plants are one of my big allergens.

• wuff
    8 years ago
    My cat sleeps in the bed with me and hubby, she sleeps on my side near my pillow...I hardly ever get sick. I miss her when I am away from home and she is in a kitty hotel
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    Happy pussy cat
    Gioenne Rapisarda thanked wuff
  • telperien
    8 years ago
    Sweet!
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

yeah, but i know that look! how long do i have to lay like this mom? You better hurry!

• dohraime
    8 years ago
    Had to add this the momemt I saw it.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

brightened Sunday morn right up!

• janbhan
    8 years ago

Ha ha, that's delicious. Thank you, it has brightened a very gloomy morning.

• janbhan
    8 years ago

My dsughter's cat sleeps on her pillow with a little blanket of her own. She prefers to be covered anyway. We often find a little lump in the middle of the bed, and I have occasionally provoked a protesting mew when I accidentally lay upon it...

• PRO
    #GoKindly
    4 years ago

We love having our kitty in bed with us. He loves evenings in bed. However, we notice we need to wash our linen more regularly.

Also, shameless plug - we have a social Enterprise called #GoKindly, our signature product is a bedroom pillow. If you want a fabulous nights sleep, knowing you're also ending homelessness for vulnerable women - buy your next bedroom pillow with us :) use the code kindfriends for 20% off

• havingfun
    4 years ago

sorry to tell you but havingfun passed away 4/13/2019

having funs husband

• Anne Monsour
    4 years ago
    So very very sorry for your loss . I hope you have supportive family and friends to be with you .
  • aohara73
    4 years ago

Thank you all for sharing your beautiful stories about your pets and your relationships with them- it gives me faith in humanity knowing people care so deeply for their pets :-)

• HU-784009584
    3 years ago

Totally acceptable! Our two cats love sleeping in our bedroom. They used to be big under the cover sleepers but a few months ago we got them each their own cat beds which sadly they like more now!

• HU-784009584
    3 years ago

Totally fine, we have a few rabbits and they love hanging around us! Although with that being said they do now spend a lot of their time in a rabbit hutch which they seem to love

• PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    3 years ago

It comes with having a pet. Half of what people do in the bedroom is unhygienic, I have seen some pet free feral bedrooms in my life. Hoarding or designated dumping ground come to mind. As long as you clean your room it shouldn't be an issue.