houzzaupolls

Everybody has quirky habits, right?

HouzzAU Polls
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Eating Nutella with a spoon, walking around naked or using the hairbrush as your microphone during a lip-syncing extravaganza... There are things we all do whenever we are home alone when no one's watching – which would otherwise be, quite frankly, very embarrassing.

What are the quirky habits you indulge in when you're home alone? Don't worry, we ALL have them!

Comments (34)

• dohraime
    8 years ago
    Occasionally...eating straight from the saucepan. :\
  • chookchook2
    8 years ago

Can't think of anything unusual , I'm boring!

• georgi02
    8 years ago

When I cant find something - say a pair of scissors - I walk around the place talking to our pet saying "now if I was a pair of scissors where would I hide?".

• Gioenne Rapisarda
    8 years ago

@dohraime - saves making more dishes to wash!

• dohraime
    8 years ago
    Exactly!
  • Janetneve3009
    8 years ago

This seems like a safe enough space to admit that when I have a (rare) Saturday morning free, I love nothing better than to throw the contents of my craft box onto the coffee table and then put everything back ever so neatly! Incredibly 'uncool' but I love it.

• Barbara Dunstan
    8 years ago

I talk to my dog like she was a human and I often talk to myself when I'm trying to set a busy dayplan into action, as it helps me to hear myself say "when I get up, I'll have breackie, then I'll do this and then that" etc...etc...

• Laura Beaupeurt
    8 years ago
    Talk to my dogs, talk to myself, eat nutella with a spoon out of the jar, get around in my nightie for as long as I can, change straight into my nightie when I get home, lie on my lounge room floor.... and the list goes on. If the neighbours see anything they shouldn't, it will be the last time they look hopefully.
  • kooky_karen
    8 years ago

I talk to myself all the time and often just burst into song (there is always music playing in my head).

• brendanredmond
    8 years ago

Apart from talking to myself, my wife is a great cook, when she is not looking I lick the plate clean

• chookchook2
    8 years ago

Brendan, come and dig out my new paths and I won't tell her. ;)

• Jen Bell
    8 years ago

I'm always dancing - ballet, ballroom, tap - whatever the music calls me to do. There are some catchy tunes on TV ads at the moment....

• Barbara Dunstan
    8 years ago

@brendanredmond,

I don't have to wait till hubby turns his back to lick my plate, as we both do it!!

I think it's an insult to the cook not to lick the plate clean, well that's what I say to justify it and it would help to keep the dishwasher clean I'm sure ha-ha

• dohraime
    8 years ago

I do have a somewhat quirky OCD habit that's not really a "home alone" habit or an embarrassing one. When I sweeten my hot drinks, I measure out 1/2 teaspoon, tip most of it in then return a little to the container. Then I proceed to get a couple grains back out and add them to the drink.

...Okay, so maybe a little embarrassing!

I do it a lot less now, after it was pointed out to me by a friend.

• chookchook2
    8 years ago

Well, Beethoven used to count the coffee beans used for his drink!

• chubbychicky
    8 years ago
    I sing my little heart out with the radio (poor neighbors!), waltz with the cats (one at a time for safety reasons), try to time my afternoon shower for when the sun is pouring into it through the window and always dunk my extra strength teabag nine times before removing........is that weird? PS my hubby is a plate licker too when he can get away with it :)
  • Barbara Dunstan
    8 years ago

@chubbychicky,

My favourite number is five, so I can admit to doing things by that number!!

• karenleonn
    8 years ago
    I find myself talking to the old lady who used to own this house I have recently moved into. Her name is Ada and although I have never met her , if something is going not according to plan or is difficult for no apparent reason I will say Oh come on Ada you will much prefer the wooden floors to this daggy old carpet! And suddenly the job is "easier" somehow.
  • Jen Bell
    8 years ago

Hi chookchook2, the link doesn't work...

• chookchook2
    8 years ago

Thanks for the heads up, are you in Aus?

• Jen Bell
    8 years ago

Yes, I am chookchook2 - you?

• chookchook2
    8 years ago

I am, do you own a Hi Fi? Lol!

• Laura
    8 years ago

When I cut vegetables into slices I always count them....always comes to 27? what tha?....how is this so.....

• chubbychicky
    8 years ago
    Can't fight the cosmos Laura :)
  • chookchook2
    8 years ago

Behind the Women's Weekly, opposite Playboy.

• chookchook2
    8 years ago

Oh, sorry, my bad eyes, thought you couldn't find them!

• Laura
    8 years ago

Just got say Houzzer's aren't wowzers - there's some quirky as, thinking going on in this forum .... and I love it!

• wuff
    8 years ago
    Re plate licking, we were in a fish cafe shop in Carnarvon west Aus, plastic table cloths, etc, the food was amazing, my husband licked his plate and the cook/ chef rushed out of the kitchen and hugged him. As for me I have known to lick a plate but not in a restaurant as yet. I also love getting in pjs in winter as soon as I get home from work and have had a walk and shower. 5pm a good time to be in pjs in winter.talk to my cat like she understands (she actually does) sleep with the cat next to my pillow. It is good that we live in a country where we are all a little bit insane.
  • chookchook2
    8 years ago

Nope, I'm still boring. And average.

• brendanredmond
    8 years ago

Wuff, Love your response come to Ireland and join our tribe we thought we were odd until we found you, we had a beautiful cat when we lived in N.Z called Misha (which means roughly translated "Mine" in Galic she was the greatest and understood ever word you said sadly she went missing just before we left

• wuff
    8 years ago
    Brendanredmond I take that as high praise. We have a beautiful young Irish couple and baby living next door, and I am sure they think me a little off the track, as always singing and talking to cat outside when gardening and we are on small blocks and our houses would be 3 metres apart maximum ...I just love listening to them talk, such a great accent.
  • chubbychicky
    8 years ago
    My hubby likes a Sunday morn brekky of toast with vegemite, cheese, chopped fresh garlic and topped off with a fried egg.....no wait, that's not quirky......it's just disgusting :)