italiangal001

Oliveri or Franke sinks?

Italian Girl
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Been reading reviews online about Oliveri sinks scratching easily... whereas looks like Franke have excellent review. Anyone out there have the sinks at home that they can share their opninion on scratching?? Had my heart set on the Oliveri Sonetto but now thinking of going with the Franke Neptune

Comments (55)

• elzermank
    8 years ago

I've had Oliveri laundry and kitchen. Great sinks no problems.

• robyn_e5
    8 years ago
    I am so disappointed with the Franke sink I purchased, it scratches so easily and does not shine up nicely. I have tried to contact Franke to ask how can I make my sink look half decent but cannot get a reply. My previous sink I had for over 3O years and it was wonderful ... So sorry I got caught up with the advertising for an overpriced Franke sink. This is the first time I have felt so strongly to comment.
    Please look at other sinks
    Regards Robyn
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just call them!

I actually spoke with FRANKE yesterday and they told me that all their sinks come out of different countries. Out of the 2 i was interested in, she told me that one of them (Bolero range) comes from China and the other one (Neptune range) comes from Italy....So of course I am sticking with the Franke Neptune :)

• Linda
    7 years ago

I have a 11 year old Oliveri sink that still looks great! We are building a house in the near future and I am looking for the same sink.

• scottevie
    7 years ago

We have a Frankie steel queen and it has scratched up pretty quickly. Bit annoyed that the worst of the scratches are from the plastic feet on the drainer basket accessory.

• Suzie
    7 years ago
    Did you get the Franke in the end? I have exactly the same problem as you. I'd like the Oliveri Sonetto but got turned off by the bad reviews so am now looking at Franke sinks.
  • jmm1837
    7 years ago

I have two Sonettos (both single bowl sinks) - I've had them for about 18 months - sure, they scratch - normal wear and tear stuff - but they're great sinks - big, deep, and scratches or not, they look fine.

• Suzie
    7 years ago
    Thanks, JMM1837! I was wondering how to directly ask you a question. I wasn't sure why Oliveri in particular had so many complaints re scratching a rust mark. A thick 18/10 stainless steel should be pretty bullet proof. All metal surfaces mark, and I think that it's unrealistic to expect the sink to never scratch. It was the sheer number of complaints which worried me.
    Are you ok with the squarish corners? A pain to clean?
  • jmm1837
    7 years ago

If the sink is showing rust marks, it's because someone is using steel wool to clean it - its the fragments of steel wool that rust, not the sink - or so I've read!

The corners aren't that square - I have a relative with a Blanco that has very tight corners, and is horrible to clean - you basically need a toothbrush. I was very conscious of that when we were sink shopping. The Sonetto's corners are nowhere near that tight, and are easy to clean.

I also read that one should treat the sink as the last pot to be washed, so we make sure it gets the same soapy water and rinse that the pans do! Seems to work. I'm not saying it doesn't scratch, because it does, but I'm not fanatical about it - it's a working sink, after all, and it still looks good, plus it's great to work with because of the size of the bowl.

• hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Jmm1837.... Just an urgent question...the sonetto series are a brushed finish. How brushed is brushed? Is it difficult to clean? I have come across some poorly brushed finishes on hospital trolleys, which make them impossible to really clean properly and they are so rough that they're awful to touch. I'm after more of a satin finish as opposed to mirror or a truly brushed finish.
    I want to order the single sonetto with drain board but have been put off by all the negative comments. My 25year old blanco is certainly scratched, which is to be expected, but comes up beautifully with a cut and polish with gumption paste or jif. Thanks
  • jmm1837
    5 years ago
    It's easy to clean, and certainly not rough to the touch. It does scratch, but that doesn't bother me. I think Harvey Norman carries them, so you should be able to get an actual look at one.
  • hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Thanks so much for your prompt response jmm1837.
    Product review has many respondents writing in about most of the range of Oliveri sinks being very poor quality, easily scratched, difficult to clean, and even RUST! (Wow!) I was taken aback by that because it is rated 18/10 1.2mm 304 grade...surely that means something!
    I love the size of the large bowl for washing oven bakeware. The similar style Blanco sink is just that tiny bit smaller so that my new oven racks can't fit! I've been taking measurements for this purpose!
    My current Blanco sink has stood up well but is a 1 + 1/3 bowls. I hardly use the little one, but am always wishing for a larger sink when washing these large items, so now that I'm replacing my benchtops thought this is the ideal time to change it for something that works better.
    Was worried about the brushed finish because of the poor quality I've seen and used at work.
  • Tilly
    5 years ago
    I had the oliveri Stainless steel top mounted sink in my old house, installed 22 years ago.
    Was scrubbing it up yesterday as we are now getting ready to sell.
    Came up as good as new.
    In our new house I have installed the black under mount oliveri and absolutely love it.
  • hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    That sounds lovely, Tilly....they certainly look smart.
    I'm looking at getting black granite benchtops on my existing 2 pac cream cabinets and thought the black sink might be too much??? A bit hesitant about these new fandangled things. Thought I'd stick to the known.....
  • Suzie
    5 years ago
    We installed an Olivieri sink last year and have been completely satisfied with it. The large bowl fits even the big Miele roaster and the even the largest dinner plates stack up in the smaller bowl. Of course the sinks are no longer pristine and scratch free, but I give them the occasional scrub with sodium bicarbonate and they look great.
  • Suzie
    5 years ago
    The stainless steel sink goes nicely with the black granite bench top and light grey cabinetry.
  • hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Thanks for that info Suzie.....
    I only have existing cabinet space for one large sink, but I think it will work just fine. Glad you are also happy with your black granite bench tops: it gives me the confidence to move ahead with my plans, either absolute black or black Galaxy!
  • Jodes
    5 years ago
    Tilly have you had any problems with the black sink scratching?

I have my heart set on a black under mount sink but want to be sure it will last.
  • Tilly
    5 years ago
    Hildagabrielli, I do love the black sink.
    One thing to consider with the Stainless steel sink is if you have a light above it, then it will reflect the sink onto the ceiling.
    Sort of took away from the pendants.
  • Suzie
    5 years ago
    Hi Hildagabrielli
    We agonised over colours for ages, so I know how difficult it is. The one thing I was sure I wanted was a granite called Uba tuba....old fashioned, but I loved the predominantly black with a few flecks of bling. Our cabinets are 2 pack in Dulux snow season and we have a rusty gold glass splashback. Grey concrete coloured tiles with rust coloured splashes also.
  • hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Hi Tilly, I only have down lights over the sink, which is in front of a window, so reflections are a non issue for me. Also the Sonetto is brushed, so not highly reflective anyway, but I can imagine a highly polished stainless steel sink would do that under pendant lighting, at least initially until it develops a duller patina through wear and tear....
  • Tilly
    5 years ago
    Jodes, no scratches at all. Just checked with the lights on and my reading glasses. It’s Perfect.
  • hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Oh wow Suzie that sounds amazing! I think it's a very classic look that will stand the test of time. I've read that some people don't like black because it shows every crumb and smear mark, but I'm a buffer and polisher from way back when, so I don't see it as a big issue in my life, LOL.
    The Black Galaxy is also predominantly black with tiny copper and silver flecks through it, which is what I am leaning towards, because it will reflect the warm honey colour of the polished floor boards. And I'm going to keep the plain 20 X 20 cream tiles, because they are as neutral as the cabinets.
  • Suzie
    5 years ago
    Hi Hildagabrielli. I was a bit hesitant re black granite too when I read some comments about having to clean constantly. I have a very bright kitchen with a huge skylight and large windows. The Uba tuba bench tops are unbelievably EASY to keep looking good! I do clean as I go along and but I have been pleasantly surprised how difficult it is to even see any crumbs etc in the benchtop. If it gets greasy due to a spill, all I have to do after normal wiping with paper towels etc is to give it a single spray with 50% alcohol/water mix and dry it off with a paper towel. 20 seconds work.
    The bad news about a skylight is that the sink and the benchtops are pretty glossy and it can be a problem when there is sun directly on them. So then I close the skylight blind!
    Galaxy black was a colour we considered also but I was after a little less bling since my cabinetry was 2 pack paint. Even a satin finish in paint is pretty glossy.
  • hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Yes my cabinets are 2 pac as well but 60% gloss....which is still pretty shiny.....although I have big windows, there's no skylight and there is also a large verandah and afternoon shade, so much less direct light flooding in.
  • Suzie
    5 years ago
    You should be fine with lots of glossy surfaces then. I haven’t found it an issue at all as far as keeping them clean and smear/streak free. It’s only the glare from direct sunlight due to the skylight which meant I needed to keep the gloss down a bit.
    Another thing I’ve learnt is that not all microfibres cloths are created equally! The glass cleaning cloth by Sabco works wonders on the paintwork and glass splashback
  • hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Thanks for that Suzie....this has been a terrific post and you've been so helpful with my sink and benchtop choices. I just need to organise choosing the granite and its installation.
    Earlier in the week I had two very swish looking black glass Bosch ovens installed. They look superb against the cream cabinetry, so I feel I'm headed in the right direction. (They're also a dream to use!)
  • Suzie
    5 years ago
    Sounds good! I found the microfibres cloths work well on my oven exteriors too. I have Miele appliances and have tried all sorts of things over quite a few years and have found good ol’ water and microfibres works best! (On stainless steel and glass)
    My benchtops were organised by the kitchen company, but the stone, cutting and installation was done by the stone masons who sold the stone. They did a very good job, and we were very pleased with them. There was the tiniest flaw in the largest benchtop which was only picked up when they got it in place. Luckily, they hadn’t glued it down yet and they took it back and replaced it with a new piece the week later...no quibbling!
  • hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    That's great Suzie. It's important to have good trades people who understand the permanency of these installations and are willing to follow through and ensure customer satisfaction.
    My kitchen is 25 yrs old and the only thing that's really dated is the laminate benchtop, which was all we could afford at the time. The cabinets are still great and the fit out is still in perfect working order. Even the Smeg oven and cooktop still worked well, but looked a tad tired.
    Getting a new granite top will see me through until we move to a nursing home! That's why even choosing something as mundane as a kitchen sink to go into it can be daunting! Once it's there, it's there!
    And thanks for the tip on the Sabco microfibre cloths. I'm off to buy some this afternoon.
  • Suzie
    5 years ago
    This is the finished product. It still looks like this after a year of hard use. 50/50 alcohol/water in a spray bottle and paper towels cleans most things beautifully.
    Good luck with the rest of your upgrade. It’s all worth it in the end!
  • hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Oh Suzie that kitchen looks absolutely beautiful! The warmth in the glass backsplash really complements the wood trim. I think it's truly a timeless look and you will enjoy it for many many years.
    Thanks for your tips and thanks for sharing!
    I had the ovens installed earlier this week and they look great against the cream cabinetry, so I feel sure that the black granite will really lift my kitchen.
  • hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Just a thought, Suzie, I know you bought an Oliveri sink and it fits all your baking trays....did you buy the sonetto?
  • Suzie
    5 years ago
    Hi Hildagabrielli
    I had decided on the sonneto because of the size but when push came to shove, I couldn’t fit it in. I definitely wanted 2 bowls plus a draining board on the sink and in the end I had a choice of 1. It was the Olivieri Nu-Petite NP 611. It has 1 & 3/4 bowls and is plenty big enough for everything. I have very large dinner plates and they can fit in the smaller bowl. The big Miele roaster (which is huge) fits the larger bowl, so lm happy. I used to have to wash it in the laundry sink!
    If you are going to get a single bowl,have you thought of getting a farmhouse sink? My mother had one in her kitchen and it was brilliant.
  • hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Yes, Suzie, and I was sorely tempted, as they are so beautiful and practical but it would require more cabinet modifications, and I have already splurged on both the ovens (the top oven is a compact multifunction wizz bang contraption with microwave and the main oven does everything but carve the meat)
    I already needed to lose a drawer to fit that in. So I have already needed a cabinet modification PLUS an electrician to upgrade the power.
    I think the MOTH would have conniptions if I pushed my luck with that AS WELL AS GRANITE.?!?!....LOL. Men don't understand these perfectly reasonable things.....do they?!
    I just need to gently remind him every now and then that it would cost so much, much more to move.....LOL.
    I think the sonetto will fit the bill...and I still prefer to have an inbuilt drainage board as well.
  • Suzie
    5 years ago
    Yes, $$$ always matter. It was a bit easier for me because I didn’t replace many appliances. New sink, cooktop and range hood. The rest are only a few years old and in perfect working order. We did a complete pullout and refit of everything else, including the floor, but I reckon it was about the same cost of selling and buying another house.
    Sounds like you’re having a ball with your new ovens. I’m sure the MOTH appreciates the products coming out of them!
  • Janelle Wallace
    5 years ago
    I too have been concerned by the Oliveri reviews. There don’t seem to be many double sinks with a 500mm bowl. Found a Sweda. Anyone have experience with them? Thanks
  • Sarah Trett
    5 years ago

I had the Oliveri MO71U Monet 1 and 1/2 Bowl Undermount Sink in my previous renovation it was a truly wonderful sink cleaned up well and had a quality drain and plug and came with sink cover, board and drainer got mine from the Good Guys. The AFA sink my builder has spec'd in our new build from Reece which is around the same price seems thin and poor quality in comparison! I am now seeing if I can get another Oliveri sink instead the double version this time. Has anyone had a AFA sink I was shocked at the cheap plug and drain plug area that looked flimsy and not as easy to keep clean?

• hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Hi Sarah Trett,
    I ended up getting the Olivieri Sonetto flush mount large single sink with drain board 5 months ago as part of a kitchen update. (See above thread) Yes, it does scratch, but no more than the Franke sink I had before. It is a really good quality sink, not at all tinny or thin, and it shows. I give it a "cut and polish" with Jif cream cleanser once a week, following the brush grain and it buffs up beautifully. All the oven trays, baking trays and frypans can lay in it flat and it is extra deep, so minimal splashing. I love it.
  • Azur Farrell
    5 years ago

Hi Guys, I was looking to get the spectra double sink from oliveri. Im not sure what brand the one is in my house its just stainless steel colour but its done a great job. I was looking to buy this sink in copper colour which oliveri offers but is pretty expensive. A friend of mine said a place called ABI do very similar sinks to oliveri, has anyone worked with them before? ive put the website link below, i am bit concerned because the price point is so much lower however they do seem to have solid reviews. I asked my plumber and he said he has installed their products before and had no issues. Would appreciate any advice, thanks !

https://www.abiinteriors.com.au/product-category/sanitary/kitchen-sinks/

• Suzie
    5 years ago
    I found choosing the right sink and then choosing its exact placing was one of the most difficult things to do when we redid the whole kitchen last year. So much choice and so confusing.
    I was sure about a couple of things:
    1. Check the specs for steel thickness. Some are flimsy and can even flex!
    2. Really sharp corners look lovely but are impossible to clean.
    3. Don’t bother trying to keep it pristine and scratch less...just aim for clean and sparkling

We are perfectly happy with the Oliveri sink we put in. It gets a quick wipe down every night with the washing up water. I give it a weekly clean with sodium bicarbonate paste and it looks like new after that. A good size too. The 3/4 bowl is big enough for even my largest dinner plates and is a great size for washing vegetables. I don’t want to sound like an Oliveri ad, but I spent ages making the decision (for one of the cheapest but definitely most important kitchen “appliances”!) because I was a bit overwhelmed with the choice available. If i had to, i would make the same choice
  • Sue
    5 years ago
    I have an Oliveri and it is less than 4 months old and the onset of rust stains, I am managing this but very disappointed - later versions maybe not so good. Never used iron wool or abrasives either - we only use natural products
  • hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Hi Sue,
    This is very concerning. My Olivieri Sonetto has been installed only in June this year, so is just as new as your sink, and so far I have had no problems with it, other than some scratches, which all stainless steel sinks do anyway. Stainless steel when properly cared for, tends to develop a patina of wear whereby the product becomes more satiny, rather than shiny, but maintains a silver lustre. It can also end up with permanent spots and stains if it is not cleaned and buffed regularly. However, one of the main reasons that it is called "stainless" steel is the claim that it will not rust under normal use and conditions.
    I would certainly contact the retailer and lodge a complaint and ask for a replacement. Under consumer law, the item has to be fit for purpose, and live up to what one can reasonably expect of this or a similar item. Therefore, you should expect replacement if there is something faulty with the finish or the composition. Don't just put up with it or manage it.
  • jmm1837
    5 years ago
    Mine is now three years plus old. No rust at all. I think Id be contacting Oliveri about the problem.
  • Sue
    5 years ago
    I should mention that this my second oliveri. The builder had to have it changed before we moved in because of rust stains - I think I may have got a bad batch
  • hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Wow Sue!
    Rust stains present before use? There is definitely something not right here! I am wondering if you might contact them directly? It would be a speedier process than going through the builder. They have to stand by their warranty. I would write them a letter as well as a phone call......
  • retamurphy1970
    5 years ago
    Hi all, great post. Hard to find alot of reviews in kitchen sinks.
    Ive been looking at oliveri sinks to. Got nervous due to bad reviews.
    @Azur Farrell
    I went and looked at ABI on the goldcoast. Very helpful and sales pitch was great. The lady there had installed two gunmetal sinks in her home and said she was more than happy. For me the sinks was not quite the right size.
    She did tell me that the colour was 3/4 the way thru. ?? This might make scratches less obvious. I need to do more research on this as its only natural that your sink will get a scratch or two over x amount of years.
    I had More or less decided on the spectra in gun metal. (Wanted a bigger bowl).
    Did you get yours Azur? Im wonder if its scratches easily. Given its only 1.2mm coating im concerned it will be more obvious. (As opposed to stainless steel)

FYI A sale lady told me that Abey pulled their gunmetal sink off the market. She wasn’t sure why but they where not happy with the product.

If anyone can help re coloured spectra oliveri sinks i would love some feedback. As its undermount.. it wont be an easy task to replace.
  • Alex King
    2 years ago

Hi Sue

How is your Oliveri Nu-Petite sink now?

• E A
    5 months ago

I have the franke one it cracked before we even used it and they refused to replace it, their Customer service is shocking

• Kate
    5 months ago

Gosh EA. I hope u reminded them of Australian consumer protection laws and got the replacement