tashnmitch

Is the kitchen sink draining board dead?

tashnmitch
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

About to buy a double sink for kitchen reno when I suddenly realised it didn't have a draining board. In fact, very few sinks do now. My kitchen company said you can still buy them but most people find the lack of one fine, and forces them to be tidier, or they buy one with a removable draining board over the 2nd sink. I'm not sure about it, but I also want my brand new modern style white on white kitchen to look modern. Do I just resign myself to putting a tea towel on my granite top when I need to do a bit of hand washing?!

Comments (26)

• Vy
    8 years ago

if you would like a drainer then get one..stick to your gun don't let anyone tell you otherwise..I had to stick to mine when I wanted a sunroof for my indoor courtyard/corridor had to fight the architect and hubby until I was blue in the face lol in the end they loved it too lol

• jmm1837
    8 years ago

If you're paying a lot of money for stone benches, it's kind of sad to cut out the stone to fit drain boards. I've got an Oliveri Sonetto, and the stainless steel drain board is a portable thing that rests on the bench when you need it, and disappears into the cupboard when you don't.

• PRO
    Dream Designs
    8 years ago

As you are the Client you should be able to choose wether to or not to have a drainboard included with sink, there will be suppliers that do double sink with drainer. I know here in New Zealand you can get dish racks that have a drain tray under them, as have used with clients with butler sinks and wooden bench tops,

• Vy
    8 years ago

jmm1837...just the inconvenience of taking it in and out..my kids dry the dishes and sometimes wash them for me so the rack is always there permanently..i know it doesn't look great but it's practical..

I have extra drainers as well so can have 4 going at once..

this is what I found coming back after half a week away..at least he and my daughter have fed the kids..told them we are not pigs and if they don't clear up the mess they weren't going to get dinner and we will be eating on paper plates lol

• Debbie Fisher
    8 years ago

kitchen · More Info

You could always use one of these handy drainers. Kmart have them for about $20 or some kitchen shops have a range of similar sink caddy's

• dorosar
    8 years ago

I'm with Uyenvy Le...stick to your guns, as much as we need to love what we are looking at, it should work properly for you first.

• antonia_d
    8 years ago
    If you would like your kitchen to look modern I would not have the drainer. I had grooves cut into my stone bench adjacent to the sink which allows for the water to drain away. As jmm1837 mentioned my sink also came with a portable drainer board. I also bought a rollamat which was an option with my Franke Planar 8 sink. I use this more frequently than the drainer board, as I can just roll it up when not in use.
  • pariscafe
    8 years ago

I have a state of the art white kitchen with stone tops and a double bowl sink with a draining board. I wouldn't be without it. My previous kitchen had the grooves cut into the stone for the draining board but for this kitchen I went back to the old and trusted. Do what feels right for you.

• Jen
    8 years ago

Currently having this *ahem* discussion with the other half. I think they are obsolete. It encourages the leaving of dishes on the bench when they should go in the dishwasher. We hardly every hand wash and when we do, we leave things in the sink to dry because *shock* the drainboard has dishes on it! Guess who leaves things on the bench/sink instead of putting them in the dishwasher? Actually the whole sink thing is a serious sticking point for our reno!

PS. we are about to pull out our second double drainer sink - I'm using them in my potting shed - perfect for that!

• olldroo
    8 years ago

My original kitchen had a single sink with a double draining board which left me with virtually no bench space. When I had the opportunity to change the sink 25 years ago I went with a full sized and and a half sized Blanco sink that had a separate heavy plastic drainer and a few other accessories - at that time Blanco were the only manufacturer I could find making these. It was an absolute blessing, I had the extra bowl and all the bench space I needed. Just over a year ago I completely renovated the kitchen, unfortunately Blanco were not making the sink I had and I chose an Abey with similar sized bowls, separate drainer and basket/rack. The advantage with the Blanco one was the drainer was larger and I could fit a standard sized rack on it, the Abey drainer is much smaller and the basket/rack does not hold a lot but it does fit into the sink, so if I have anything I need to leave to drain, I can sit it in the sink and not on the bench. It is definitely a nuisance though if I want to do large things like the oven racks or the shelves when I am cleaning the fridge. Fortunately, I kept the draining board I got with the Blanco to use at these times.

It all comes down to how you live and what your needs are - I needed bench space, that was my criteria, but I do love the clean look of just having the bowls.

• sallyd 028
    8 years ago
    When I renovated I was faced with exactly the same dilemma. I wanted an under-mount sink. I ended up choosing a Oliveri 'Monet'
    double sink that could have the dish drainer sitting on top of one of the sinks. This was probably the decision I agonised over the most. Initially it took a bit of getting used to having previously had a double sink +
    dish drainer. But now I can't think of ever going back.

http://www.oliveri.com.au/au/monet.cfm
  • Andrew Charles
    7 years ago

You pay a lot for that built-in draining board — as much as the sink. With practically all sinks imported there isn't enough demand for them just from Australians. Because they require a larger cut-out they're a pain to install and when you want a larger sink (naturally the smallest sinks have by far the largest drainers, so even the largest sink with it's smaller drainer leaves a gaping hole in the old benchtop). Overseas if you want a drainer you use a removable one that sits on the bench top with a lip over the sink - you can get both plastic and metal ones, with or without matching dishracks and in a variety of sizes. Bunnings used to have the popular Rubbermaid ones, but now they just have the ones paired with dishracks, The plastic ones aren't too expensive from Amazon (Rubbermaid and Sterilite seem to be the best), and Decor makes a basic one you can find in some stores.

• El Miller
    6 years ago

We've gone for the Oliveri Monet too. Lovely looking. The drainer then fits back over the sink when you're done. The reality after a week in the house is that the drainer stays out on the bench for us, and we have had to use tea towels most nights for extra dishes. But I suppose there will be times when you can just put it all away and enjoy that too!

• deborah eade
    5 years ago

Kitchen sinks with draining boards are very easy to find (try Franke for starters), so if that's what you want don't allow yourself be bamboozled.

• PRO
    Detente Design
    5 years ago

Your answer is made by Oliveri and it's called a Foldamate. It sists on top of one of the bowls and provides 100% aeration so dries everything really quickly. You can stand up cutting boards or fold over two sections and make a glass stand with it. They're awesome and I wouldn't be without mine.

• PRO
    Detente Design
    5 years ago

Can I add, before you choose a double bowl, there is a new format that is more user friendly: the 1.25bowl. It's exactly the same size as a double bowl but has a mini mega bowl on one side and a small quarter bowl on the other. You can lay frying pans down and the new extra wide oven racks. See Oliveri Spectra. There are coloured versions but the stainless steel version is a winner!

• cloudpants
    5 years ago
    Detente Design, this was a post from 2016. Pretty sure they'd have chosen by now.
  • PRO
    Detente Design
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Others look cloudpants. You're comment is proof. ;) I think you should change your name. Smarty pants seems more appropriate.

• olldroo
    4 years ago

That wasn't very nice.

• Dee
    4 years ago

It's true others look..wanting to renovate but I would miss my drain board next to my 20 yo sink.

• Shirley Quinn
    3 years ago

Detente Design - yes you are correct. I am looking at this dilemma right now 😊. But Cloudpants comment was probably just in fun. Is good to get all the opinions here though, so thank you!

• mtvbishop
    3 years ago

Agree! I have finally decided to go with the drainer, but the Oliveri Sonetto I am interested in has a lot of bad reviews for rust and scratches - which seems odd for stainless steel! I never expected a sink to be a big decision.

• Shirley Quinn
    3 years ago

Ha, mtvbishop, I know what you mean re decisions! I was originally looking at Oliveri Sonetto but also read the bad reviews. So I have ended up going for Tech200 with removable drainer. Just received via Toll Transport today from Melbourne - yet to be installed but looks good! I also bought the drainer which has rubber feet underneath and is designed to either sit next to and slope into one of the double bowls or on top of one of the bowls.

Viv from The Sink Warehouse, with apparently 40 years’ experience in the sink business told me the product is good.

I searched EVERYWHERE for what I wanted and finally found it. Hope it’s a better sink that the Oliveri option.

Even in these COVID times the goods arrived in less than a week from Dandenong to Adelaide.

• mtvbishop
    3 years ago

Wow, that's good delivery! And hopefully the product is good - but sounds like you got some good advice. I think I will go with the Sonetto, though I am also considering the Franke Neptune. Good luck :)

• Shirley Quinn
    3 years ago

What did you end up buying? I was thinking of an expensive Franke sink but pleased I didn’t as Xmas day at our hosts house the 2 week old Franke sink was just as scratched as the cheaper one I bought. 7 months later & I’m still happy with my Tech200ND sink. But don’t bother w the stainless steel drainer. Go to Howard’s Storage & buy a $13 white plastic drainer as it so easy & lightweight to move.