sarah_nathan

Early 2000 facade makeover need help!

Sarah Nathan
8 years ago
This is a 2002 builders design in NZ. We love everything about the property except the front of the house. Looks like a Lego house! I think they were going for Mediterranean but it doesn't really deliver. Would really appreciate ideas on how to soften its look or create some sense of style and modern flavour without a major reconstruction. Thanks from New Zealand!

Comments (7)

• purrmichigan
    8 years ago

What you have is a lot of verticality and nothing leading up to it. That's a hard look to pull off - especially for a home. I think you need to have something in front of the home that is more human sized.

The landscaping you have is nice, but it isn't tall or give the appearance of reaching up that certain trees, for example, would. I would suggest two crabapples, vertical growing to soften.

• suezbell
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Create a front porch across 2/3 of the front of the house by extending the existing sloped roof on the right side of the house ( except create a balcony behind and between the existing vertical columns).

Alternately, create a balcony and porch just around the two existing vertical columns, extending the porch beyond the two existing columns.

Use the balcony rail and the porch columns to create the Mediterranean look you seek (arches) -- the effect would be striking. You'd then need some huge planters or cut some holes in the pavement to create a greenspace in front of the porch and/or use hanging baskets.

http://hgtvhome.sndimg.com/content/dam/images/hgtv/fullset/2015/3/7/0/Barron-Custom-Design_Shore-Vista_53.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.1280.853.jpeg

http://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/d94192130c498e54_4-8517/mediterranean-porch.jpg

http://www.ebby.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/25586526-0.jpg

• Sarah Nathan
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you everyone! First time I've used this app so very exited to get replies!

Yes - more vertical planting. I had thought of growing vines up them but this makes more sense. I don't think we have crabapple a here but I'm sure we will have similar.

Stone - also great In fact it was my husbands suggestion but I wasn't sure if would suit the style but I think you (and he) are right!

Porch and balcony - genius! But possibly expensive? Contemporary NZ architecture rarely features porch and balconies but i can see how this would really create a welcoming effect - thank you
  • Sarah Nathan
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Puremichigan - I just comprehended what you mean about nothing leading up - I think you've nailed it on the head. It's so stark. Thanks
  • purrmichigan
    8 years ago

Hard to explain, but it's a serious look. You see it on government buildings. If you had lawn in front I would really recommend something trees in front to give it "human" scale. Good luck

Sarah Nathan thanked purrmichigan
  • pottsy99
    2 years ago

Old thread , I know , and it just popped up on the 'similar items' feed . Have you done any updates ?

I love stone , so would echo the comments about stone up the 2 pillars , or even go up say 1.5 metres with stone , then a cap at 45 degrees , with the rest of the pillar as it is .

One other 'trick' would be to do the pillars and the window sills all in a charcoal , similar or slightly lighter than your roof -- I personally think there is too much beige , so the charcoal would tend to break up the areas , and add a bit of interest and 3D to the windowsills