frost1979

Challenge: Unusual splash back layout...

frost1979
8 years ago

Here is our splash-back area, which as you'll see is currently tiled. What bothers me is that it 'ends' along the same expanse of wall, so there's not a natural finishing point. (I really don't like tile edging.) And at the other end, it turns into a window sill, as pictured.
I'd like to modernize the kitchen by using a glass splash back, but I'm unsure as to how this would look due to the unusual dimensions and layout.
Perhaps some slim white subway tiles would work better? The whole room is open plan with the living room, so I don't want to make a big feature of it really. The walls will be painted a neutral white (matte). One consideration I'm leaning towards would be to use a clear/white splash-back running the length, but I really would appreciate any thoughts and/or images of similar splash-back configurations/layouts. Thanking you in advance!!

Comments (3)

• Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Perhaps smaller tiles same colour as your countertop, open shelving just above tile may look good.
    frost1979 thanked Irene Morresey
  • PRO
    Susan Latta CKD, CBD, Susan Latta Design
    8 years ago

The taupe countertops are nice. Have you seen all the new choices of backsplash tiles that are available currently? There are so many beautiful ones, there isn't a need to settle on white subway tiles. Venture out to the big box stores or flooring showrooms and take a look...

There are tile caps of all sizes to finish off the ends. A nice one is called a tile liner, and it's about 1/2"-wide. There's also metal strips that can be laid in to finish the tile, it looks very nice. They are called: Schluter Systems 0.375-in W x 98.5-in L Aluminum Commercial/Residential Tile Edge Trim and can be found at Lowe's. They come in different colors.

frost1979 thanked Susan Latta CKD, CBD, Susan Latta Design
  • Bernadette Staal
    7 years ago

I can see why they thought to finish the tiles at the end of the breakfast bar and it really doesn't look that bad so if you do intend to change it, I would use the subway tile but instead of taking it to the end of the breakfast bar I would continue the tile to the wall and then run it down to the floor and maybe consider tiling under the bar where the stools are down to the floor.