shamaygoo

Exterior colour to co-ordinate with Woodland Grey

shamaygoo
4 years ago
We are near completion on our extension and have to decide what colour for our exterior walls. The window frames and roof are Woodland Grey. Originally we were going to paint the walls woodland grey as well but are considering a different grey, possibly lighter, to create a bit of contrast. Would appreciate opinions on sticking with WG or alternative options? The brickwork is staying as is. Thanks.

• PRO
    Colour Confidence Interiors
    4 years ago

Hi Shannon,

If in doubt - select another colour from the Colorbond range as they designed to co-ordinate with each other.

The Woodland Grey can have a green undertone to it - so if this is what you want then you can stick with this and get a very strong and dark green/grey block of the extension - quite contemporary looking.

Consider Colorbond 'Dune' for a warmer and softer alternative that will wear nicely over the years and be a good fit for your brickwork.

Or go for a bigger contrast to the brick and use the white Colorbond of 'Surfmist'.

Good luck, love to see the results.

Michelle

Best Answer
  • PRO
    Front Door Building Design
    4 years ago

Hi Shannon, I agree with Colour Confidence, the Colorbond range is great to use, and will give you some lovely results. If you were being a little braver, I would suggest looking to nature for colour inspiration. Look at things such as the plants surrounding your home, for example, tree trunks / leaves etc. and choose a colour with grey tones, which will work with the Woodland Grey. Colours from nature tend to blend and not date like other colours, but at the same time there are some beautiful colours to work with. The colours for this home I designed came from the mauve in the trunk of local gum trees, it works well with the colorbond and sits beautifully in it's setting in rural Western Australia.

All the best, Shelly

Hart Residence · More Info

• windflower72
    4 years ago

Hi, we have a Woodland Grey roof and guttering and water tank, and
    painted the exterior house walls in Dulux Designer Plum. The windows are
    painted in Antique White USA. The house is surrounded by evergreen and deciduous exotic trees, and blends in very well.

• Jack & Jill
    4 years ago
    Surfmist
  • Dos
    4 years ago

We have woodland grey guttering, window frames and verandah posts, and the house paint is tinted to colourbond paperbark we then tinted the verandah fretwork to a quarter strength paperbark for the highlight, our front door is a deep terracotta colour which completes the look, our house is has bullnose verandah and was built in the late 1800's in the country

• PRO
    Visola Studio
    3 years ago

@dousaustin - I would love to see a pic if you have one handy please? We have Woodland Grey gutters and downpipes and I need a colour for fascias and windows - it has to all go with recycled brick walls. I was considering Paperbark. I also want an orange front door - your scheme sounds very similar to what I'm thinking of. TIA.

• Rachel Netto Redden
    11 months ago

Hi goodall_shannon, I have the exact same dilemma at the moment and just wondering where you landed with your render colour choice? TIA,

• Nickolas Constable
    4 months ago

Paperbark would be a great compliment in my opinion

Slightly warmer than and would compliment the brown in the brick, but is not to dark as to still provide for a contrast

• MC Hamilton
    4 months ago

We have Woodland Grey roof, gutters, water tank and sheds and used Dulux Powered Rock. Really depends what look you after whether you go light or dark.
    Good luck

• MC Hamilton
    4 months ago

Just seen is old post

• Tracey Gabbitas
    10 days ago

Hi there, I have painted base boards posts vreandah roof beams all woodland grey, it looked grey and I was happy. Then I painted the top side facia which has a peak section and flat section and it looked more green, I get that lighting can have an effect. Would you say that most of your woodland grey including sheds look more on the grey side? Sorry for the essay. I haven't done the garden yet. Thanks in advance if you see this post.

• MC Hamilton
    10 days ago

Hard to say as everyone sees colour so differently. It is a grey with a dark green undertone. The neighbours across the valley have Woodland grey and it goes from grey to green to really light colour during the day depending on shadows. Sorry does help as it is one of those colours that changes a lot. It seems to be a universal colour that goes with everything

• Kate
    10 days ago

I was looking at the rafters of a verandah at a cafe recently. I would swear that some are a different colour. Had a discussion with owner and he advised it was all the same. It’s amazing what even a small change in angle can do to our perception of colour as the light bends and refracts bringing to the fore different base colours.
    I like woodland Grey as it has the warm green undertone. Some greys go more to a cooler blue. It’s all a preference

• pottsy99
    9 days ago

I've just seen this in the latest replies , and realise it is an old post , but I am somewhat surprised no-one has addressed the elephant in the room -- the big picture !

The existing build has charcoal or black window joinery , plain mission brown bricks , a maroony colour on the gutters , and quite a dark tile roof .

The addition has mid-grey doors ( you say it is woodland , but it looks darker than the roof ) , grey roof with a totally different profile of roof and edging , and wall covering that looks nothing like brick . And you want to ( presumably have already ? ) paint it a shade of grey ?

I have huge news for you -- it won't quite blend in !

I'd want to see the WHOLE house , but a quick idea -- go for a beige or mushroom on the new addition walls , do every gutter and facing ( old and new ) in charcoal , match the 2 roofs colour wise , and cross your fingers --- hope they complement , rather than clash .

• shamaygoo
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Oh wow, lots of notifications on my old post recently. Thank you everyone for your input. We ended up just painting it all woodland Grey as we just weren’t completely happy with all the alternatives we tried. We’re happy with it. The old build has had all the guttering, frames etc all redone in WG as well to tie in. ( @pottsy99 the bricks are more red and the doors are definitely woodland so probavly just the lighting of the pic making it look different). Don’t have a pic handy but can post another time if people want to see.

• Kate
    8 days ago

Pottsy. I was responding to the question Tracey G posted on 30/7/20

Shamaygoo always love to see the end result.

• pottsy99
    8 days ago

Kate -- did you think I was 'having a go' at you , possibly about the grey ?

I was just pointing out mainly to shamaygoo that , IMO , brown and grey don't blend together , and no-one seemed to have pointed that out .

In her reply , she says that all the trim and ( window ) frames have been done in grey , to tie everything in .