vanessa_baxter7687880

How to modernise external brick arches.

Vanessa Baxter
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This is our house. We are looking to sink a bit of money into modernising the facade. Probably weatherboard to go back to the Queenslander look, also add a new roof and possibly change suffeats to fascias, by changing the pitch of the roof.

Any ideas to modernise the house are greatly appreciated. If going with the weatherboard/colourbond style, I understand we'd need to add some levels of depth to the place, including removing the brick arches and putting some of those little awnings on the windows. Also looking to incorporate building in underneath - so whether we have a little recessed patio underneath and keep the arches as a little entranceway, or square them off entirely and make the house front door in the middle arch then build a little portico out the front of this and square off the arches to add windows to them for two bedrooms, still tossing up ideas.

Comments (23)

• Gallifrey
    4 years ago

I agree with you. The arches need to go. They are OK on a roman villa, but not on your house.

Could you add verandahs to your house, top and bottom?

• LesleyH
    4 years ago
    You are looking at expensive changes. Also consider selling and building in the style you like. Alternatively put a large deck over the arches and drop timber slats down a couple if metres to cover the arches. I much prefer to see money going into a practical, functional use. Use glass balcony to modernise it.
  • PRO
    50sqre
    4 years ago
    I think you should stick with the arches. Some coloured render over the brick will help soften the look. Look to add some horizontal strapping to break the floors and potentially adding some standoff features to give it some depth (screening or landscaping), that way it won't look so imposing.
  • Hilde Gard
    4 years ago

Keep those arches (!) The only thing wrong with them (keeping them from making your house look cool) is that they are "undressed". They are disjointed from the ground level, and need some kind of deck or landscaping in front so they don't "hover in space" over your front garden. Some climbing vines, tall palms would also dress them up. Borrow as many elements as you can from Tuscan, Mediterranean or Spanish style because they are driven by the local climate which suits QLD very well. Putting fake weatherboards on to simulate Queenslander style and then having to remove the arches seems a waste of the good that you've got.

• Vanessa Baxter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks everyone for the comments, yes we understand that changing it to a Queenslander style facade would be considerable costs so we are also considering just keeping the arches and working with what we have! Rendering is something that we are open to as well.

• Emma
    4 years ago

think that the windows at the top need to be modernised and that would improve the look of the facade. I like the arches and agree that changing the landscaping at the front of the house would help too.

• LesleyH
    4 years ago
    Rendering is very expensive. Put your money into a lovely deck. Embrace the period in which your house was built and leave the low maintenance brick as a maintenance free bonus.
  • LesleyH
    4 years ago
    BTW you have great eaves on the house. Imagine the house with plantation shutters at the front - now that would be a great enhancement with no need then to touch the windows.
  • donnawildy
    4 years ago

To save a lot of money you could concrete plaster the house and definitely make 2 bedrooms down stairs with square Windows and make the front as fancy as you want

• girlguides
    4 years ago
    Thing that strikes me about facade is colour garage too dark and "black holes" under arches and colour of eaves
  • girlguides
    4 years ago
    So what did you end up going @vanessa Baxter ?
  • Nick Morgan
    3 years ago

Before

Before and After · More Info

After

Before and After · More Info

• kiwimills
    3 years ago
    Nice!!!!
  • KK1000
    3 years ago
    Replace upper windows and grow climbers and tropical trees in front yard.
  • KK1000
    3 years ago
    You could freshen up colour scheme around the gutters .
  • PRO
    Illuminide Interiors, Expect Excellence.
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would look to use the middle one as a main entrance to the house.. have a leading path up to the central arch from the drive way. Possibly look at windowing up the other two arches. It will look more complete from the street, This would be the most inexpensive option otherwise it would be a full build in of two either arches leaving middle as entry and render the enter facade and put a roller door on the garage.

• Vanessa Baxter
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

I know I posted this question 4 years ago but to those of you who have asked what we decided- well it's still a decision waiting to be made haha! Although we are most leaning towards rendering or bagging the bricks a nice white colour and putting some creeping vines around the arches. And also put some plants into that garden bed right in front of the arches. I'll try to attach a photo of the architect's drawings.

• siriuskey
    last month

I would look at Miami in the USA they do a lot of white with black metal infill windows and doors and brick paved floors

• Vanessa Baxter
    Original Author
    last month

@girlguides we haven't finished the project but this is the architect's concept drawing of our abode. Note that we have already had the new louvres installed on the top floor but we went with white frames instead. And unsure if we will go to the effort of changing the current soffits from fibro to the wooden panels on this picture due to the money and time that would go into replacing something that works perfectly well. And we will now most likely have another driveway on the most left side of the house for a carport on that side, as the current carport is only wide enough for one car, and we always need parking for at least 2 cars.

We now have to figure out how to build in the underneath in terms of where to place the internal stairs, the bedrooms, and most importantly the front door. Will update with our plans once finalised!

• Vanessa Baxter
    Original Author
    last month

What the house looks like currently with the new louvre windows, and we've also had our old asbestos roof and the old gutters removed so this is also the new Shale grey gutters and roof (Not visible).

As you can see the front of the house is very much a construction site/rubbish tip lol. A lot of work is needed to get the garden to where we want it to be but we'll get there.

• Kate
    last month

I like the design image. Why don’t you post the floor plan dilemma

• rinnia
    last month

Hi have you had a look at a house called Villawrango on Gold Coast? It has the arches and its a great renovation. They have an Instagram account villawrango_mainbeach