mcintyre_anna

Planting a small vertical slope to stop erosion onto house path

mcintyre_anna
7 years ago

Looking for affordable suggestions for planting out a 5 metre stretch of vertical bank (about 85deg slope, 1.8 metres high) that has existed for 90 years with no major problems as far as I know. Has had ferns and some succulents planted, as well as a scrubby tree or two, but some of the clay/soil in some places is beginning to crumble. Need suggestions that won't encroach on the pathway and are easy-care! North facing, but shaded/protected by the house.

Dunedin, New Zealand.

Comments (5)

• annemackay1234
    7 years ago
    I think I would put in retaining walls on at least 2 or maybe 3 levels and have hanging gardens.
    mcintyre_anna thanked annemackay1234
  • Bernadette Staal
    7 years ago

I would consider a small retaining wall perhaps 2-3 planks high this will provide support to the bank but also allow the pathway to remain clear and formal. The ferns seem to be doing well but could do with a tidy up. I would also prune the tree so it allows a bit more light into the section to help prevent dampness, you also want to take it away from the house, without destroying it's natural shape. As ferns seem to naturally want to grow there, you could continue that theme. Perhaps some other shade / cooler temperature type plants with some flowers could be a good addition. I am not sure which plants can tolerate the cold Dunedin winters, so you best contact is your local garden centre. You want plants that are lush all year round. Also have a look at other plants growing in the neighbourhood as that will give you a good idea of what does and doesn't do well in your climate. Good Luck.

mcintyre_anna thanked Bernadette Staal
  • bruce200594
    7 years ago

We had a similar situation in Picton and planted out minature flaxes which we purchased in root trainer pots. They do very well in clay and have shot up after 12 months. Looking forward to the native birds coming when they come into flower.

Cheers

Bruce

mcintyre_anna thanked bruce200594
  • mcintyre_anna
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions - was hoping to avoid a retaining wall, so the miniature flaxes (flaxi?) could be interesting.

• bruce200594
    7 years ago

That picture was taken Jan this year, they are now bushy and twice the size