idealdrapemakers

POLL: Have your pets influenced your home improvement 'style?'

ideal drape makers
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We have two dogs, two cats, and two kids. One of the quickest ways to transform a house into a home is to introduce pets and adopt them as full fully fledged members of your family and household like we did.

In the early years, we watched as the corners of wooden furniture were chewed and worn round. The term 'shag pile' took on a new meaning in relation to our carpets, and our rather expensive leather lounge suite developed interesting and unique characteristics all its own - Characteristics which included little holes which we concluded allow the leather to better 'breathe.' along with a number of leather panels which overnight, took on a decidedly 'brushed' and 'scratched' look.

.. ho hum.

My Houzz Apron. Just in time to make my New Years Day 2016 memorable! · More Info

I sometimes ask myself the question that if I had to furnish a home all over again would I do anything differently?

.. Probably not. We no longer have showpiece spaces, but we have a 'home', and lots of memories and plenty of character to go with the place. We wouldn't trade any of that for quids!

We started with an almost modern almost transitional style and have finished with our own version of 'rustic.' (Though from time to time we have often contemplated trading rustic for truly industrial!)

My Houzz Apron. Just in time to make my New Years Day 2016 memorable! · More Info

Houzz will never tour our home; we'll let the carpets go until they uplift themselves and walk out the door on of their own accord. - Our menagerie, particularly our dogs, 'our children' from 'Neverland,' will continue to entertain us and never ever grow up. - Filling our lives with love and laughter. For us, it was a tradeoff, - 'Pretty Spaces' for our 'Perfect Place'. That's not to say that we have given up on home improvement - Far from it!

As with any family, however, our decisions consider and are inclusive of all members of our household (Not just the adults). We look for quality materials in our furnishings that suit our circumstance and our home environment. We focus on 'durable' as a key purchasing criterion. .. And discovered along the way that quality and durability go very well together. - We have no regrets and we are very comfortable with how our spaces have evolved over time.

So, how about you?

How have pets shaped your home improvement style over the short and longer term?

Vote and comment. We would love to hear of the tradeoffs you have made (if any) and whether you have had any causes for regret?

(Anecdotal stories that have impacted your style decisions are especially welcomed!)

My pets are members of the family. The first chew or pooh is always the toughest.
You adapt and your style changes. You become much more practical and far less attached to material things. It's very Zen and I did it without taking a course in motorcycle maintenance.
It was a constant cause of conflict. My husband wanted to maintain appearances at first. - So I made my children little costumes out of curtains and let them mess about with the trees in our yard. I eventually wore my husband down and he now enjoys the occasional mountain hike with the children 'in toe' to de-stress. He also likes to Yodel.
It’s quite simple. People are for 'inside' and animals are for 'outside'. My pets do not influence my style decisions in relation to our interior home improvement projects.
I'm allergic to pets and so are my home furnishings
i've heard of 'Pets' .. What are they for?

Comments (6)

• Tyrian
    7 years ago

We have two cats that are indoor pets. Sadly the male took a jaunt outside and got a few sctratches and tears from a large neighbour cat. He began territorial peeing on any cushion, stray coat, laundry basket, no matter it was on top of a piano or speaker or even a bed. Our piano varnish ruined, so very much washing.. (Thank God for Nature's Miracle). Now we have to keep him incarcerated in the laundry area which has an enclosed porch and cat tree and so forth. He comes in for supervised visits and we take him outside every other day to run and play. When we move we will be planning an area specifically for him. It's so sad as we never would treat him like this if he could break the habit, but we've tried everything and he's hooked like an addict. He isn't as happy as he used to be.

• robyn_korolie
    7 years ago

I have had dogs for yeas now, and i have found then to be better companions than any human, this is a bit harsh i think you would say, but not so. Not one of them have been unfaithful, disrespectful or let alone betray me as a couple of ex husbands have definitely done, but most of all they are happy to see me, trust me and never let me down., What can you say about that, well, no they don't have a voice like a human to talk to you but they do communicate if you learn their language. I have lost the love of my life, my little red toy poodle, and i know i can't change that fact, but i would trade all my tomorrows for one last cuddle.

• Monika Kryger
    7 years ago

"Pets are for outside" - why bother? Guard dog? A house alarm would be cheaper and more humane.

• robyn_korolie
    7 years ago

That is very sad, but truly they are better off without you

• HU-784009584
    3 years ago

Yes, we now have cat toys all around the house!