ilovewhitekitchens

It normal for granite to look like this??

Long story short we purchased new construction however the home was already constructed and builder had made decisions on 90% of the "selections" normally decided by the buyers. We were told the granite counters had been selected and we were fine with that. We googled the colors however what we saw in person doesn't quite match what we saw on google. No big.

However what we are puzzled with is the actual slab pattern. FWIW, we've never had granite counters before. I know there can bee some veining and cool patterns but I've never seen anything like this before:

When i I first saw it I thought something didn't look right but realtor says that's just how this slab is, and that granite is a mixed bag when it comes to patterns.

Did id we get lucky and wind up with the most random/funky granite pattern ever? Or am I right in thinking this doesn't look right?? LOL

Comments (44)

• ilovewhitekitchens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Would also love tips on how to decorate this bath :)

• Related Discussions

Countertop conundrums

Q

Comments (36)
    ~$400 including expedited shipping. My GC just had his regular countertop guy do them, which wasn't great.... he had trouble making clean cuts. If I were going to do it again I would have pressed for someone with expertise to cut them. You can see in the image that the facing is not made of the stone peak, because too much was broken during the cutting to make the mitered edge. I'm a little bummed, but mostly pleased with the surface (which is the important part) thus far.
    ...See More

A new countertop and backsplash for this kitchen

Q

Comments (6)
    I would consider something light with some other colors to mix in like this. http://t.homedepot.com/p/Silestone-2-in-Quartz-Countertop-Sample-in-Mont-Blanc-SS-Q0220/203674451/ I like the wood paneling and would paint it a white with a warm feel to it. A white will reflect a lot of light from your large window. I wouldn't paint the window casing as it might tie in better with the rest of the house. Good luck!!
    ...See More

Kitchen makeover: New Granite Benchtop & Respray

Q

Comments (1)
    I think what you have done is amazing - so fresh and so modern - it is a great example to people like myself who have an old kitchen with good bones but no longer modern. So many people spend far too much money ripping out usable kitchens, that function well but they think they need to get the new and latest, often just to keep up with the "Jones". You have done an amazing job without the huge cost of replacing all your cabinetry. WELL DONE.
    ...See More

What do I do for curb appeal?

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm no architect, but I agree with yours. Instead of large windows in the loft above the garage, what about a high, short, but long window....non opening? Here's some examples
    ...See More
  • ilovewhitekitchens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Heres a better photo of the room. Lots of earthy tones, gray and Beige. The walls are Revere Pewter. I'm not sure what to put above the toilet. Should I put some type of cabinet? Shelf? A photo? I am really clueless on how to make this bathroom complete. And yes there is a shower so we'll need towel bars too

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It's the remnant portion of a slab someone used, and eliminated the BLOB..... and the builder got it for a song and some "dirt". Buy a nice big tray, and put the lovelier grooming goodies on it.

You're not helpless, go on Google, or go to Target. Get some nice sleek stainless towel bars., please SKIP shelving over the "loo" and get a nice big 30 x 42 stainless or silvery framed mirror for over the vanity. Look for some appealing black and white/ black framed photography for walls........get nice white fluffy towels. Done. Measure first......: )

• ilovewhitekitchens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Beth H, that makes sense that the builders chose this one because of the "blob" :-/ I wonder if I should put a tray with a floral arrangement in that corner to help mask the obviousness of it

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

I wonder if the builder also invested in some GFCI breakers? that outlet needs a GFCI. The room looks cold. any artwork you could put above the toilet? a warm wood shelf? Maybe a mirror framed in a reclaimed wood?

• ilovewhitekitchens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jan, do you mean that slab was manufactured to add the blob someone didn't want?? Sorry if ignorant question. New to this granite stuff LOL. Or do you mean the counter was part of a larger slab and people chose parts of that slab because the section I wound up with had the blob...?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    That is exotic ice brown granite and it is pricey. However, Beth is right, this was probably in what we call the "bone pile" at granite yard. Left over pieces. You got great granite. Enjoy it!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

no,,,someone bought the slab, fabricated it for their countertop, and cut around the blob. the builder probably got the remnant piece for next to nothing.

it's not a big deal. do a shallow bowl with some succulents or something. It will hide the partial blob. looks fine. don't stress over it

• ilovewhitekitchens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Beth, my husband says that all the outlets near water in the home are on GFCI but that the "main" GFCI outlet is in another bathroom. Not sure what that means lol

• ilovewhitekitchens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jan I like the idea of towel bars over the toilet. There isn't really another place for one!

Does anyone have an accent color they'd recommend? Or would sticking with white fluffy towels, a white floral arrangement, B&W photos be the way to go?

Ive always wanted a "beach" theme in my bathroom in previous homes but could never pull it off. It always came across tacky. Anyone have ideas on how to incorporate things like sandollars and star fish or some other nautical nod without it being too "theme"

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

ok. that's fine. as long as the line itself is on a GFCI breaker.

Maybe just search through the bathrooms on here w/beach themes and see if you can use any of the ideas. a main theme is the use of bead board on the walls. then maybe a little wood shelf w/a glass bowl of sand and starfish or something. keep it simple.

ilovewhitekitchens thanked Beth H. :
  • Anne Duke
    7 years ago
    Consider hooks for towels instead of bars. Saves space and fit in more appropriate spots than above the toilet.
    ilovewhitekitchens thanked Anne Duke
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I think I would look for some color for this bath to liven things up some.
    ilovewhitekitchens thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Sheri Law Art Glass
    7 years ago

If you didn't get a mirror yet - it could extend over the toilet for a new lookhttp://www.sheri@sherilaw.com

• ilovewhitekitchens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo, what a cool idea! I actually have a canvas floral print that has turquoise and gold accents. Would be a perfect fit for the space!

• ilovewhitekitchens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is a grainy photo of the canvas in a previous home but it's actually quite bright and colorful. Would it be too much color though?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Perfect! I love it when you can "shop" in your own home and find great ideas!

• ilovewhitekitchens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also assuming I do use that photo what color curtain would pair well for the window in the bathroom? A plain white valance?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

No I think it would be great. Very pretty.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Add some turquoise or spa like colored towels, a mirror with blue/green tiles or accents in the frame and you will have a very delightful bathroom!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Our posts are crisscrossing. So, let me summarize. Yes, on the canvas and it isn't too much color if anything I hope it is brighter than this post shows. Second, add some pretty towels in the spa-like green/blue colors, some containers and a mirror with a frame with nice colors as in the one I posted. I will give you that post "info" next. As for a window, in a bath, I like simple and clean lines. I would probably just match the wall color as much as possible. A roman shade would be nice. Not a fan of "valances" generally. A nice roman shade comes with a "self valance" at the top generally. You could even do a woven material possibly and bring in some of the darker tones from the granite. Darker browns or mocha tones. Not white. White would be off with the wall color and the warm tones everywhere.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Frameless Glass Reeded Simulated Tile Printed Modern Wall Mirror · More Info
    This is the mirror from the mock-up I did above.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Possible mirror selections and art

ilovewhitekitchens thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Some subtly beachy wall hooks for your towels:

Unique Wood Metal Wall Hook · More Info

Blue, White and Green Distressed Finish Wooden Wall Hook · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

some of the ones I've made ;) (and are actually for sale!)

ilovewhitekitchens thanked Beth H. :
  • ilovewhitekitchens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Beth do you have an Etsy shop?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I can tell you this, Beth's work is impeccable and so professional. She is amazing!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

xoxo Flo!

ilovewhitek,,,yes I do, but for my furniture. my blog is listed under my name here on Houzz under Website. just click on it.

• akcathy
    7 years ago
    Just a word of caution about towel bars over the toilet. I was staying at a resort hotel that had that. I went to grab a towel after I flushed the toilet and voila! I of course dropped the towel and into the bowl it went! And boy was it clogged!! Of course to have the bowl mid flush when the towel falls has got to be a rare chance but I wouldn't like my towels just falling in there either haha! :) Beautiful bathroom by the way, enjoy it!
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Also, bacteria fly like 6' in the air during a flush.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

"Beth, my husband says that all the outlets near water in the home are on GFCI but that the "main" GFCI outlet is in another bathroom. Not sure what that means lol"

You plug in your hairdryer at the vanity and it does't work. You plug it in in the living room and it works fine, so it ain't the hairdryer. You go to the electrical panel, but no breakers are tripped. You scratch your wet head.

It means you aren't blowing your hair dry at the vanity without an extension cord from the living room until you find and reset the GFIC receptacle to which your vanity receptacle is wired.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

@ilovewhite kitchens

The gfi is central ( to all ) required GFIS on the breaker box , WHEREVER the heck they located your circuit box.. It has become commonplace in new build. It meets code. It also means a trip to the main box to find the circuit you tripped for a reset in the bath,........or you go dry your hair in the bedroom, away from any water, and in any three hole outlet, until you want to poke around in the breaker box.

In answer to your question. The very LARGE slab from which you top came was only partially used. The leftover, discarded and unwanted with the BLOB? Someone else used the really good portion of that slab. You have the left over remanant piece , on your vanity. WITH the blob.

Are you near a beach?? I rest my case : ) I don't see the "turquoise, sea foam island beach" in that granite........maybe some sandy tones and texture with black and white photos of dunes, grasses, water.... etc.....beachy scented glass filled candle.....

Not so kitschy.,

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

"It also means a trip to the main box to find the circuit you tripped for a reset in the bath..."

If the GFCI is working properly, the circuit breaker in the main box will not trip. This is what's so confusing to people. You're looking for a tripped breaker in the panel, there is none, yet the receptacle doesn't work. When this happens you have to search for the GFCI receptacle with the button on it to which the bathroom receptacle is wired. Pushing that button resets the GFCI.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Took the words out of my head. Good clarification Joseph. Be nice if they came up with a "standard" location for those suckers! :/

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Our electrician very helpfully pointed it out to us, so we'd know.

• Fred S
    7 years ago

It is possible to trip the breaker on a GFCI circuit. The breaker trips when there is an overloaded circuit such as two hair dryers at one time. The GFCI trips from an unbalanced circuit.

The GFCI can also be tripped IN the breaker panel as a GFCI breaker. There are two ways to provide the required GFCI protection other than a GFCI receptacle at every outlet.

A GFCI RECEPTACLE that controls/protects another bathroom receptacle should be only in a bathroom, or protected by a GFCI BREAKER. A GFCI RECEPTACLE that controls/protects another kitchen receptacle should only be in the kitchen/dining area, or protected by a GFCI BREAKER... otherwise, it would not pass codes for the last 30 years.

• Fred S
    7 years ago

"Be nice if they came up with a "standard" location for those suckers! :/"

There is - - The bathroom receptacle that is closest to the breaker panel - -

;D

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Sure isn't done around here! Mine is in our master closet which is about as far from breaker as you can get! Most are in master closet which seems to be "standard" here. Maybe more from ease? I don't know.

• Fred S
    7 years ago

Maybe they do not know the difference between a bathroom and a closet down there? And like wasting wire?

• qam999
    7 years ago

The granite's fine....it's just got a beauty mark. It's actually a beautiful, fresh-looking, interesting stone and I complement your builder on the selection. It wouldn't bother me.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Hey, Texans are a breed all their own Fred! lol But I know what you mean. I think one probably did it and others followed and no inspector made them change it and we have what we have! Crazier things have happened. Thanks for the tutorial though. You are better than WikiLeaks!

• Patty Stavropoulos
    7 years ago
    It
    Is too busy and doll colours
  • PRO
    Lisa Williams
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I LOVE this "blob" in the granite! I think it adds so much to it. Granite is a natural stone, so this is how nature made it :) I wouldn't hide it all...but that's just me!

As for your towel bar and what to put over the commode, please think about placing art (a framed print) only over your toilet. All other options come with the risk of something falling into the bowl! Not shelves with knick knacks, a towel bar, etc.

It appears that you have a blank wall NEXT to the toilet and that's where I would put a towel bar (for decorative towels). If the shower will be used, consider towel hooks! They are much more practical for everyday use and the towels dry just fine. A wet towel draped over a rod always looks messy IMHO!

If you've completed the bathroom, please post updated photos :)