olldroo

olld 4/19

olldroo
11 years ago
Thought I would have today all ready for you when you wake up. Finally we have a touch of winter here - 19 deg but a very cold wind. YES!!!

Comments (204)

• Robin W
    11 years ago
    Part of the reason I got rid of my cable. That, and its just too darned expensive.

How's your wine?
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    Wine is hitting the spot! Sitting here with my dog, watching Food Network, surfing Houzz and wishing I'd bought myself a treaty snack for dessert tonight!
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    Sounds fantastic!
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    I'm bored so now I'm dreaming up new projects. Trying to find plans online for the shed I want to build... Lol
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    Funny... I'm trying to come up with a project for myself as well. That's the problem with a new house, once you've painted everything that needs painting, there's not much left to do.

Did you ever decide what to do with your backspash?
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    I think I'm just going to paint it for now and work on fine tuning the new design. I was looking at the ceiling tiles but for the amount I'd need, it wouldn't be worth it. Looked at wallpaper too, but really didn't want to mess up the drywall I've spent the past 2 weeks patching. So paint for now... maybe I'll make it pretty/less boring with some stencils or something.
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    Ps. I have lots of projects... C'mon over.
  • olldroo
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    G'day all, goodness what a talkfest today, my head is reeling.

Well all your horrible rain has reached here too. Started bucketing down in the wee small hours and hasn't let up. Got so heavy sometimes, I could hardly see out the window. At least it is lovely and cold - 16 deg.

Yes, Robin, you can come over anytime, 16 deg is about an average winter day here. We have mountainous areas in NSW, Victoria and Tasmania that get snow and are our official ski fields and when it is really cold our Blue Mountains and Western plains areas get snow too but it doesn't usually last long. The only thing I like about the cold out west, it is really bracing, you want to run around in it to warm up where the cold in Sydney is very depressing and all you want to do is sit over a heater and never move again.

We had a news report earlier linking those guys to us. They went through Facebook and found people with the same names and they had been in touch with a ratbag muslim cleric here - one who is adamant that if a woman is raped it is her own fault and she should be punished. Sometimes I think they just want to blame Muslims for everything. There was also a report of an interview with the family of the wife of the one killed. She had gone away to college and met him and came home wearing more modest clothing and head covering. Family liked him but then agreed they didn't really know anything about him.

mousemaker - aka Gladys Karvitz - you really cracked me up doesn't every street have one??
  • olldroo
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Kimdee and Robin - you are going to stir Bobbi up into another flurry of decorating. Sit back put your feet up and enjoy what you have. I think you both have to come over and experience the Aussie laid back lifestye. She'll be right mate.
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    Good morning, Ms. Roo! Eh, I'm just bored is all! Golf season is delayed and I'm getting restless.
  • PRO
    Linda
    11 years ago
    Anyone wants projects, I have a zillion and counting! I have three houses I want to get listed by the middle of June.

One needs only a couple of days buttoning up interior stuff but it needs a new roof and new paintjob. We'll contract out the roofing, but can't get either the roof or painting done until spring arrives

Second house needs to be cleaned from top to bottom - we bought it at the sheriff's auction and the previous owners left it absolutely filthy and filled with junk. We've taken a few loads to the dump but still have some junk furniture to put out for the trash before we can really get started. That one needs some trimwork fixed on the garage and a little bit of new guttering, but the roof is good. Needless to say, it needs a complete exterior and interior paint job

Third house needs new roof and exterior and interior paint plus sand and finish the floors - if they're in decent shape when we get the old carpet removed.

I like being busy but it's hard getting anything done in this miserable weather - especially with all the rain we've had in the last few days. My painter who was supposed to run the sprayer for the kitchen cabinet paint job had to go help his mother with her flooded basement so that job got delayed until at least tomorrow but probably next week.
  • Robin W
    11 years ago
    @Olldroo - I would come over there in a heartbeat if I could get time off from work. I have 12 off in Nov, but to go all the way there, I'd want at least 3 weeks!

Linda - don't know where you are but sounds like you've got your hands full! Do you always have this many projects on the go?
  • olldroo
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Kimdee - Golf SEASON? No such thing here, it is year round. You definitely are in the wrong place.

Robin, when and IF I ever get to the States it will definitely be for 3 months. Sadly the flights do take a bit of getting over and even 3 weeks wouldn't give you much time at all.
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    @olldroo - I am most definitely in the wrong place!
  • PRO
    Linda
    11 years ago
    RobinW - I don't like having that many different projects going at once. Having two at the same time is a nice chance to avoid getting really sick of one house, but counting the house my business partner is moving to, we're juggling four projects which is just too much. If mother nature would cooperate so we could get some good exterior work days, I would hope to finish up one soon. I don't like to be in a position where I need too many extra hands to get everything done. I like having one or two other people around to help my business partner and I, but more than that gets on my nerves.
  • evierh
    11 years ago
    Jayme – He is 69 this year! Maybe that’s also the downside of marrying someone so much younger (43), you look older in comparison!

Bobbi – I don’t get it either, about painting brick. Besides, whenever people paint something that doesn’t need to be painted, it’s not just a 1-time deal .. now they’re stuck repainting it regularly too!

It rained overnight here too; hope it dries up, as a friend & I are going to see a matinee of “Guys & Dolls” locally.

I need to get a basket/gift as a raffle prize for an event next weekend. Next time I'm going to assign that to someone who likes to shop. I'm too much of a perfectionist, to really enjoy this, and I have no clue what other people might want to bid on!
  • olldroo
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Is it all women? What about a beauty parlour gift certificate - few women can resist that.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Good Morning all & God Bless America!!!

@astraea..I agree..Cancer didn't help any though..he really aged from that!! In pics I have seen lately, he seems to be rebounding somewhat..he is still good looking!!

I don't feel like painting our new trim today...Need some coffee and an attitude change...I am going to chant over and over..."Be thankful for your new trim..and now get off yer laptop & go paint it!!"!!
  • olldroo
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Jayme, you sound like me and my curtains, done so much but just can't get motivated for that final finish. Weather doesn't help much either. I'm having more than an attitude change, I having a total change of scenery and going to dds for a few days. I will probably get withdrawal symptoms and end up doing more housework than I do here, usually a few days away and I come home really motivated and inspired.
  • evierh
    11 years ago
    Roo - It’s for a state-wide women’s organization, but since we’re spread out, gift certificates for anything local are problematic. I wound up putting together a basket I’m calling, “curl up with a bunch of good books .. and a bottle of wine!” I picked up 4 books at Barnes & Noble, and a bottle of Yellowtail moscato. That should be a familiar name to you!
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    olldroo, you know men have those attitudes the world over? blame the victim, doubt the victim, all of it. the trouble is that some "victims" have lied too, but for the many many who were violated and even killed it has made it more difficult to prosecute. Cultural attitudes are not the same as religion although unfortunately culture and religion do mix. Remember the Crusades? let's see. how many of those were there? some sources say nine. what did they accomplish? nothing. death and destruction.
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    oh and olldroo? i'm so glad you knew who Gladys was :) yes, I think every street has one :)
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    I know who Gladys was! And I know who she is, too... I call my dog "Gladys" because if she could talk she'd have the scoop on everyone in the neighbourhood. She's always at the window watching the world go by.
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    she was underrated as an actor, I think. she really was a comic talent :)
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I remember her & laugh just thinking about it...she would drag her poor husband over to prove what she saw, etc.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    I don't remember her! What show was she on?
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Bewitched
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I loved the the mother too..Endora. And the crazy aunt was in one of Hitchcock's movies.."Strangers on a Train".
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Oh, Bewitched, she was the nosy neighbor, right? We weren't allowed to watch to many of 'those' kind of shows. If it wasn't a documentary then it was a waste, my father's attiitude!
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    Agnes Moorehead. wasn't Peggy Ashcroft in that Hitchcock film too? or am I thinking of another one..hmmm
    Ollbobbi you can catch up on cable :) AAAABBBBNNNERRRRR!!!!!!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Yes, Agnes Moorehead..she was great..I don't recognize Peggy Ashcroft for that film though..which role was she in/do u think? I am a Hitchcock buff...
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Hitchcock used lots of actors over and over...Gladys Cooper, Claude Raines, Joan Fontaine, Cary Grant, Vera Miles.
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    I might be thinking of Caught on a Train..although I thought there was a movie where two women were traveling and one disappeared..and then the remaining woman could not get anyone to believe her that she had been with a companion..
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Oh yes,,,I know that one too...I will think of it's name momentarily! OH yes...Vanished

Hah aaa ..Abner! Forgot about that!!
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    but that's not with Peggy Ashcroft..i'm thinking of an old old movie..unless i'm wrong :)
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I was wrong, was thinking of "The Lady Vanishes"...didn't see Peggy Ashcroft listed
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Peggy Ashcroft was in the 39 steps..I saw that one too.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Gladys
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    I like the other one with the crazy eyes :)
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Marion Lorne
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    Oh I LOVED aunt clara! she was so cute and sweet and screwed up all the time! and the way she would stutter! ha! adorable! and paul lynde....uncle ______?
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    okay so are we going to vote on our favorite Darrin? :)
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Arthur
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I think the gay one was better looking..Dick Sargent..both were good actors. I think the other one was nuttier/funny, which I liked.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    Uncle Arthur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    Bewitched was one of my favorite shows and I've probably seen them all several times each. I liked the first darrin, but just had to get used to the second one.... I think I just liked the chemistry better or something between him and Andora. the second one didn't seem as natural with the part to me.
    I just watched the first minute or two of the video above and laughed outloud. I miss these kinds of shows. Uncle Arthur....good ole Uncle Arthur!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Yes, the first..Dick York (both were Dicks)..no pun intended. He was more demonstrative with his facial/physical gestures...more physically comedic!!
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    I liked the old TV shows when there was a theme song with words, you know? so we could all sing :)
    all those really good Quincy Jones tunes :)
  • olldroo
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Goodness gracious, mention a name here and it starts a whole new conversation. Our local library has the complete series of Bewitched on DVD so I like to get it out during non-ratings periods when there is nothing else to watch. I though Samantha was absolutely gorgeous, shame she died young. I remember seeing Agnes Moorehead in a few movies but it was so hard to see her without the Endora makeup, I kept waiting for her to zap something.

You know Hitchcock wasn't a very nice person, I always loved Marnie and The Birds with Tippi Hedren she was such a brilliant actress but Hitchcock ruined her career - she claimed because she wouldn't sleep with him. He did lock a lot of actors and actresses into contracts and really controlled their careers.

Mousemaker - a Gladys Kravitz here is called "Mrs. Sydney Morning Herald" one of our leading newspapers.
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    i'm so depressed!!! it just started SNOWING!!!! what is this? April 21!!!!!! we've had enough already. beam me up, Scotty!!!!