nik_yetman

Ensuite layout help needed

Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay
6 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Houzzers, The lovely oklouise has been a massive help getting us this far :) but I've decided to add a bath to the ensuite which may change things a bit. We are hoping to maximize our views from the ensuite to the garden, hence why I've oriented things this way. My writing is pretty appalling so if it helps, here's the translation to my scrawl lol: 1. Potentially shutters or louvres beside the bath for views/ventilation & that beautiful north/east aspect natural light. 2. Louvres beside the double shower on the wall that borders with the alfresco area... not sure if practical or not but thought it might help again with ventilation. We won't be putting on a show after a shower for any guests over for a BBQ lol 3. I have the toilet door opening on the other wall so when soaking in the tub, I won't be looking at the loo or a door to the toilet... weird much I know lol. I guess to that creates a little niche or nook for displaying towels/aftershave/perfume/candles/photo/s, or even a sitting chair? 4. I've created another little linen cupboard opposite the toilet which could be used for storing towels, washers, bath mats etc or hubby might e able to put his safe in there? Can't have enough storage hey?! 5. Would the wall/sides to the entry of the ensuite from the bedroom be a timber batten screen, solid wall or shutters? 6. Thinking about a door or cavity slider from ensuite to WIR. 7. Would you add a door to the ensuite from the bedroom or leave it open? I'm open to all suggestions/advice please :) oklouise - if you see this... I'm not sure if my drawing to scale would work but given our difficulties/limitations, practically it looks to work well for our situation. As always, i value your input :)

Comments (192)

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Nik, only glass that comes to mind would be "Bullet Proof" haha, seriously though if some wants to break in they will and through any doors or windows. You will need to get someone to set electronic/wireless security systems for internal/external.

You could put bars on all doors and windows but you need to be able to find the keys in an emergency to be able to get out/fire! An indoor dog is a good alarm system and sometimes protector.

Lock up your power board with a padlock from your Elec supplier, if someone is looking to break in they often go to the power board and turn off the power and if no one comes out to check they know that's a pretty good indicator that no one is at home, break in time. cheers Nik I hoe you have recovered from you long day x

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hey siriuskey,

No worries, just thought I'd ask :)

Given my employment with law enforcement for 22 years, believe me when I say "I've seen a lot" - or lived thru it (as explained in my email darlin) so I understand how/why/where they get in - just wasn't sure what current glass products might be on the market to help with the security aspect etc is all. The more we can tighten things up, the better :)

I'll do some research & see what I can come up with without making our home look like a prison.
  • Related Discussions

ENSUITE LAYOUT

Q

Comments (1)
    The door into ensuite currently opens in (hinged on left). Im thinking we will need to use a cavity slider door (which means shifting the bedroom light switches!) This project is growing!
    ...See More

Need help with my new apartment (to be built)

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm finding it a little hard to see the detail. Can you enlarge the top 2 plans?
    ...See More

Small Ensuite Layout

Q

Comments (2)
    We built a new home where we walk through our wardrobe into the ensuite and it works really well. I would suggest getting rid of the first pocket door as we found you don't need this and it keeps it more open. I assume the rectangle is the shower? Is there a window in there?
    ...See More

SOS ensuite layout

Q

Comments (0)
    my fiance & i are building a new home & we'd like some practical inspiration with designing master ensuite. the size of the room is 2.8m x 5.2, it is separate from the walk in wardrobe no need to worry about steam etc entering it. we'd like a minimalistic but functional bathroom, it will has a main window facing north / east side of the room. thought about a cavity door entering the room, would like the toilet hidden from view if the other person is lying on bed. wishlist to consider: dual shower heads, with only one of them that has a rain shower head dual basin on one vanity with mirror above one toilet shower a walk in similar to the photo i've included that was found on houzz glass to prevent water all over the floors heated towel rail, similar to the individual bars in the photo
    ...See More
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

yes it's a tough life in policing and hospitals. Speak to glaziers and window makers, I think I sent you a link of a company or speak to an architect who will know just what you are looking for,might check out commercial, I'am trying to think of the name of a company that a lot of architects use, big blank at the moment. something else to keep you busy sweetie. cheers

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Lol keep me busy :) I certainly have a lot of research to do so between that & the kidlets, I'm kept out of mischief Hun. Thank you as always for your suggestions. X
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    6 years ago

Look at AWS for window/doors/glass. The one up further with the external bath looked like a commercial door used on shop fronts.

Glass has to meet quite high standards unlike about 30+ years which was quite thin and killed and maimed many. Rarely hear of kids walking/running through glass doors anymore....

Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

we had a neighbour run through a glass sliding door because he thought one of the little ones was about to fall off the balcony, it was quite a long time ago and the thing that saved him was that he was running, still received some nasty injuries. Still trying to think of the name of the company that does a lot of commercial & architectural windows?

• PRO
    co-design
    6 years ago

G.James Glass and Aluminium are considered the Australian benchmark for aluminium doors and windows. They are in every state and regional centre.

Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay thanked co-design
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Have dealt with these people in Sydney, Pilkington Glass is another, still trying to think of the other

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all - co-design, thank you. G James Glass are here where we live and where we plan to build so thank you for recommending them. I had forgotten about them. Thank you MB Design & Drafting for your recommendation also. Thank you siriuskey.... I'm thinking as much as I just love playing with the ensuite plan, I should wait until I can get confirmation on using a sliding door/external door first off the ensuite? Along with helping Evie, there will be a large man cave/shed/workshop at that end of the yard but on that end of the house - so it may also prove to be a great access point for the Bear if he needs to access the 'facilities'. Maybe might just have to stick with large fixed windows around the showers and other window options to allow for the airy, light filled ensuite I have in my head and leave the sliding door option off the master bedroom? . I have that many sensational and different layouts courtesy of the amazing oklouise, Philip and your good self - but I do love daydreaming and coming up with different ideas.

The trip to Brisbane was monumental. More surgery on the cards for the spine so am trying to book that in as we speak. The heart issue is the same as the last echo so while that is good and bad in some ways, it has delayed the open heart surgery - which while I need it - I admit I'm petrified about it. Otherwise - more medication and trying to keep on, keeping on. You know :). It's my 40th in November - looks like I'll be asking for a walking stick and hair dye for my birthday - oh the humanity lol!

• oklouise
    6 years ago

aging gracefully is what we all hope for so forget the hair dye and look after what you have

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is true - looking after what we have. As for me aging gracefully hun - we can dream ;)

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi guys.... this is the other option I have been toying with over the last few days - very similar to the last one I posted - like you've all pointed out, it's boiling down to what we NEED and throwing in a few 'wants' as well.... so I'm hoping this layout accomplishes that.

The double vanity on the bedroom side we hope may allow for a sliding door or door of some sort on the yard side for Bear to gain quick access from the man cave/workshop and to shower our Evie. Although I have a feeling sliding doors are typically 2100 and not 1800?

I thought siriuskey to help with a noise barrier between the toilet and Jack's room - to see if we can install a thicker wall with a recess shelf behind the toilet? would something like that work? As well as insulation? Maybe a slimline floor to ceiling louvre set up would also give us our loo with a view and some great ventilation whilst still ensuring privacy.

The 1 metre wide short walls on either side of the shower to allow for a little privacy I can hide behind whilst still allowing a 1600 wide access for 'carers' or wheelchair - maybe it might help eliminate altogether, lots of glass panels or sliding glass doors for cleaning issues with my disabilities and also a shower curtain potentially. I love the look of glass but in our situation, maybe it's not practical.

It allows plenty of room for seating in the shower and we can hang towels on the outer side of the walls.

It may not look clean but I'm hoping we can still do it in style and make it look practical and beautiful whilst still allowing for lots of light via the large windows/doors in the ensuite.

As for the large window (fixed or louvre style etc) in the shower, I'm sure the builder will guide us to an option that will comply with building codes but the open layout of the shower, and having a large window, should allow lovely light into the space.

Can you all with your expertise advise of any foreseeable issues with this layout?

Architecturally, it may not be 'aesthetically pleasing' but we are limited by space and what we need with major health issues.

oklouise - feel free to walk away hunni lol! I have done the measurements as best I can on powerpoint - but obviously I haven't allowed for wall width etc and the master bedroom size looks off so not sure what I've done. I have pulled out the main ensuite wall to line up with Jack and Bella's bedrooms to make that bigger since the master bedroom size itself should be big enough.

I guess the "hers WIR"/dressing" space doesn't have to be as big - we may be able to make that a combined dressing space and a larger combined WIR on the linen cupboard side?

As always - let me know your thoughts if you want too :)

Have a lovely day,

Nik

• oklouise
    6 years ago

your latest plan as drawn..

Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay thanked oklouise
  • PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thank you oklouise :) Appreciate that very much. Wow the master bedroom size was way out on my part. Thank you sincerely for showing me how it looks to scale. xx

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

That is one giant bathroom, I'am sure you would much rather have more bedroom space by reducing the width of the bathroom, ideas good, cheers

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just don't know how to achieve that lol! I want that layout but I agree - the size is too big with a lot of wasted space.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

You'll get there, maybe step the bed head wall back approx 500 - 1m, x

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there, have you drawn a slightly different plan. I've been thinking and don't think you need an external door in the ensuite which would allow a much better layout. You could as we have an out door hot and cold shower as you are in QLD, this would take care of Evie bath times and less mess. what do you think. x

• oklouise
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

following yesterday's suggestion with the bathroom width reduced by 50cm and 1m

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Oklousie, I was thinking along with reducing the size of the ensuite making more space in the bedroom, was to do away with the external door and putting the double vanity there and putting a very long bench on the other wall and doing away with the doorway into the ensuite and just using timber shutters or lovely mirrored sliding doors on the "hers" wardrobe , this would help reduce the long passage way

And this black bathroom is for you Nik, just need to swap out the tub for a shower x

• oklouise
    6 years ago

the problem with all the different ideas is that they need to fit the available space ...here's a plan of the space available for ensuite, bedroom and wiw with only restriction being the placements of the door from the hallway...all the windows and external sliding doors can be placed anywhere along the double thickness external walls but the furniture, fittings and fixtures must be realistic sizes with ample walking around room included and i'm happy to draw up any suggestions that include approximate measurements

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's what I got up to last night ladies... mucking around. With oklouise's idea's and correct dimensions, I'll have another play tonight when the kidlet's are in bed... only thing is with the last 2 plans, not sure if the bed will go in the original position. I'm having fun playing I know that much - not sure if it's your idea of a good time tho lol. But I do appreciate you guys giving me your ideas, suggestions and plans - thank you so much. siriuskey - I do love the idea of that black bathroom! That works so beautifully doesn't it. And I do really like that large timber bathroom with the twin vanity and presumably double shower behind with the louvre windows in the middle .... great inspiration as usual. I just can't save them? Oh - and I've gone the old school access to the toilet by using the short side to open the door/or use a combined sliding door somehow on the toilet/wir door so as to maximise WIR space - again - could be dreaming - could be painkillers - either way, I leave it up to you kind folk to show me the way :)

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

like the first one Nik, well done, I'am going to send you more photos x

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The first one is a louise one .... just in my dodgy powerpoint. Thank you for more pics xx

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Love the ensuite opening at both ends, would do away with the small wall at the of the vanity on the first entry so both entries match. I have approx 10 photos for you will split them cheers

• oklouise
    6 years ago

my latest suggestion for consideration

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wow Louise! A private dressing/sitting area! How cool is that! I can imagine it complete with lights all around a mirror like a superstars retreat ... I might just have to put lockable doors on that space & steal some quiet time - my own space that I'll have to add some 'Stevie nicks' too :) what a sensational idea! I really love that!! Awesome double shower with bench seating & natural light, double vanity which are must have's.... and toilet behind the vanity which is most good :) and it has a view with maybe sliding doors to the outside which would be great if they meet code? Its an excellent interpretation hunni. I love it!
  • PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

oklouise - can I ask for one final favour with this ensuite layout and then I promise, we'll call it quits lol! Can the shower/toilet's be swapped? This is now my favourite layout that I'll be taking to the builder :) Also - is there somewhere I can send you a thank you gift? I'm happy to PM you? xxx

• oklouise
    6 years ago

here's the swap over, as requested, but please explain the reasons for the change and i'm sure your favourite kids' charity would appreciate a thankyou on behalf of all HOUZZ contributors

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi sweetie.... thank you.... sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. Is it possible to leave the vanity and that awesome sitting area where they were & swap only the shower & toilet positions? So the shower goes where the toilet is & the toilet goes where the shower is? Would that work? If it doesn't, no need to change it :) hubby just wondering if the vanity mirrors reflecting our naked selves in the shower opposite could be a bit freaky lol... (that's if we only have short fixed walls either side of the shower vs sliding doors. So... that's the reason for trying the toilet opposite the vanity & the shower beside it - as the toilet wall may house the towel ladder or some framed black & white photos... and then our vanity mirror is not at risk of shattering lol. Charities close to our heart would be Heart Kids or Epilepsy Queensland ... lots of very worthy charities out there :) xxxx
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

another variation...nb the problem with the sliding glass external door or window!

my suggestion was based at aiming for the loo with the view screened away from first sight as you enter the bathroom and without restrictive side walls and door, a super generous shower at 2500 x 1300 with the benches and helper space and enough wall space outside of the shower for the sliding external door and my personal favourite for shower privacy is to avoid glass doors and try a simple sheer white curtain

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you hunni. I appreciate your time ever so much :) it's good to see it & how it doesn't work as beautifully as your first one. But I agree with your logic - thank you for spelling it out - it helps have someone with your passion & expertise go over it with a fine tooth comb ... it's a wonderful layout oklouise... really love it :) thank you!!!!
  • PRO
    co-design
    6 years ago

Shower curtains get soap scum on them and turn black therefore requiring constant washing. Personally I wouldn.t ! The shower is big enough to not have a door if that helps. I'd rather nothing than a curtain but that's a personal choice. The mirror(s) to the vanity will reflect the loo. Is that what you want to see each and every time you use the mirror?

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Good morning Philip :)
    This is the layout that we love at the moment so we won't see the toilet in the vanity mirrors. I admit I have bad memories of shower curtains as a kid- covered in mould & layers of yuk.... I was thinking for the shower a partial wall to give some privacy & help with splash etc - although I believe levels & drainage in the shower should help get the water away. Do you have a suggestion that would fit the double shower in to help with bench seats & space for careers? I'd love to see what you think?
  • PRO
    co-design
    6 years ago

While I preferred an earlier version from O.K. It's you home and I appreciate that we are all different and see things from different perspectives so I would prefer not to comment. To me it's been a very long dusty road travelled to arrive here and If your happy I'm happy.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

co-design, like shower curtains, glass screens and tiles get scum on them and need to be constantly cleaned, when you clean these use a bit of soap on the lower part of the curtain and rinse. This must be the longest running Dilema ever, but like ou say if Nik is happy we're all happy. cheers

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Guys,

This was all just a bit of a fun process for me - and I have learnt a lot from all of you along the way. I have said from the start, that no one should feel obliged to help & could bow out at anytime. So given this has all become so tedious, which is not what I wanted, I'll thank you all again for your help & wish you guys all the best x
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Nik it's been fun for us as well, I think we've all been learning along the way, love seeing all of your new ideas so keep them coming as long as you like x

PS: having run holiday accommodation we have found that shower pump packs don't leave as much scum as cakes of soap cheers

Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

I have just used Oklouise room to very roughly show what I think would be a good layout. No measurements

Enclosed toilet which has been lost.

Large open shower across the end with opening high window and two slatted bench's one longer than the other for plenty of sit down space.

Space for towel and hand rail both sides

Double vanity with comfy stool to use at the vanity

Shelf across the back of the toilet with mirror facing into the dressing room with dressing chair, a tall opening window with curtain or plantation shutters.

High opening between the bedroom and ensuite that could have opening plantation shutters used here no window needed as toilet is now enclosed and safe:)

Trying to give you a lovely easy to use space with a touch of Glam, large no slip grey tiles for floor and shower, white walls and plantation shutters, with the touch of timber in stools, ceiling and or vanity. xo

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

forgot to mention that the side wall of the WC could also have extra towel rails even heated towel rail x

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Now where could we fit this x

• oklouise
    6 years ago

managed to squeeze in the latest suggestions with some necessary adjustments but we can't ignore minimum sizes and correct structures and the wall around the wc has to be reinforced and thicker to hang the grab rail in the shower and towel rails with or without heating, the toilet door has to be at least 820mm so the wall has to be at least 820 x 2 to use a cavity slider making the toilet room at least 1750 plus careful custom framing to fit in the door, twin 750 wide extra low vanities will fit handbasins with a joining counter for narrow 500mm wide underbench knee space between the basins' plumbing to be able to sit on a stool and the doors between the bedroom and dressing area have to be hinged as they can't slide in behind the vanities without compromising plumbing and, due to the necessary size of the WC, the wall shelf in the dressing area is not recessed and there are no doors between the dressing and vanity areas because the is no where for them to slide in or fold back against and there really is no where for the in wall fireplace in this plan

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

dam I was really wanting that fire place lol,( just kidding) perhaps in the bedroom it would make a lovely feature, calming like water

I was hoping to have a long timber grab (round) rail on the wall above the benches high enough to reach and pull up onto, benches could be made slightly wider if necessary. What I think this bathroom really needs now is a couple toweling robes to pop on when getting out of the shower this will dry most of the body and then sit down with a towel to dry feet etc

Narrow bench in dressing is just how I would like to see it. and don't miss doors between ensuite and dressing , too cluttered and not needed if the toilet is separate

Missing the high opening between the bed and ensuite with opening shutters though, I'am trying to put a bit of the tropics into this room, they are in QLD

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Just a thought the vanity doesn't need to be lowered as I was thinking of a bar height stool with arms for comfort, and think the space should be a in 600 which is normal, need to grab it back from some where, at least we can reduce the length of the toilet with the long grab bars on the other walls,

• brixnmorta
    6 years ago

Hi Nik You can get security film put over existing glasses as long as it is flat glass (not bathroom glass). & it can be tinted or not.

http://www.windowtinting.com.au/tg_projects/security/

Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay thanked brixnmorta
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

bar stools would be unsafe for someone with mobility issues and the wc should be 1800 long to have a cavity slider within safe size range and we must remember that every time a few cms is added somewhere it has to be taken off somewhere else and a smaller wc would not be expected to meet building standards but we hope whoever completes the final plans will ensure that none of our suggestions are illegal or unsafe

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Sorry a bar stool was most likely the wrong description, I'am suggesting a suitable stool for the situation with all of the above in mind. I just want to see that Nik gets the best possible solutions for her situation, it doesn't need to look like a hospital it just has to function a bit like one with as normal as possible fittings, I don't think this is too big an ask. Who ever does the final plans has the power to do this. We are all equal some just do it harder, so we should try harder to improve things to make their lives as normal as possible. cheers

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello lovelies - you guys have been busy this afternoon. Thank you sincerely for all your efforts to accommodate us and our limitations. I really am touched by the thoughtfulness and time you have invested in our little project. The rest of the house for some reason is not really bothering me... I guess because I'll be spending a fair bit of time in the master, that's probably the reason why I need it to be 'just right'... I need it designed in such a way that will help, not hinder - whilst also be practical, safe and beautiful. Simple things that will promote independence for me, rather than continue to dictate reliance on others which I bloody hate :( Little things like that will do wonders for my self esteem and self confidence and go a long way for me, being the person I used to be... somewhere along the way, I feel that person has gotten lost in a fog of chronic pain in my chest and my back. Others have it worse. Please don't think I'm playing my own orchestra of violins here lol. But if we can nail this, then the rest of the house will be easy lol! oklouise has got my studio room sorted perfectly. And I'm pretty sure the kitchen/butlers pantry and laundry/mud room are looking very schmick already. So I'm hoping once I have this sorted, I won't be around to bother you guys again - hey, there's a light at the end of the tunnel lol. I love what you are trying to do for us siri... it looks like a glam bathroom which I appreciate.... all the practicalities of a hospital style bathroom, but with some gorgeous glamour... I think that is very cool. This is all so very new to me and it's been a great journey of discovery about what is out there.... the picture you painted, the coloured tiles, timber etc... I could see it and I think it would be perfect. Just so I get it right in my own head to clarify - does this awesome large double walk in shower have those narrow walls on either side for a little privacy, shower curtain or glass sliding doors? I guess that is one thing that has me tripped up at the moment. Pro's and con's for all of it. I need something that will look beautiful and still show light, whilst giving me some 'privacy' .... I don't tend to cry in front of my children but if I want to have a moment to let some things go, it would be nice to have a little sook in the shower without anyone seeing me. Obviously I'm very self conscious also so I do think Philip's original 3D image of those large glass sliders was very appealing to me as I could hide behind those without fear of being even more vulnerable in front of my children. I love the romantic idea of the shower curtain and believe it would bring a lovely softness to the space....cleaning wise, it may be a good option if I can swap it out with another to clean as you suggested Siriuskey... something that will be easy to 'clean/maintain' with all of my issues will be key either way. I do have a cleaner that comes once a fortnight to do all the big jobs that I can't do anymore so I'm conscientious of still having a beautiful space in between those cleans and I do worry that the glass may be quite high maintenance for someone like me who physically can't keep it clean in between the cleaner doing it for me if that all makes sense. So I guess that's why I thought maybe the short walls at either end might work? I did a little research earlier tonight on HOUZZ that mentioned about a treatment applied to glass that helps with soap scum etc???? Anyone familiar with that? If that is the case, then I would pick a lovely tinted/sandblasted glass I think - that will still allow light to fly around. Brixnmorta - many thanks for the security film suggestion!!! I appreciate the link for it - thank you so much. I have saved it for future reference. Thank you oklouise for your beautiful plans. You don't have to continue guys. I have some excellent plans as they stand now to take to the builder so feel free to help others :) You've already done more than enough for me xx

PS. Siri - that fireplace! OMG! How nice is that?! We'll use a fireplace or set up an awesome fire pit/fireplace in the alfresco area - and that will be perfect. I also am a lover of candles so can have mini fires all over our bedroom lol xxxx

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

I think you might be a danger with too many candles, maybe something with LED's haha. the fire can be one of those ethanol ones just for display x

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I love some good Dusk or Glasshouse candles - my little luxury. They're just beautiful :) But yes - loved that fireplace you suggested! Stunning :)