buckleup2000

What is your favourite cleaning tool or appliance?

Luke Buckle
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

As the season for spring cleaning approaches, the need for effective tools and methods takes on an unusual level of importance. Do you have a tool or a cleaning appliance that you swear by , every time you need to do a big clean?

Let us all know what it is in the comments section below...

• tracythackeray
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

An old toothbrush is invaluable for cleaning! And I agree with Tanya Waterman - squeegee in the shower virtually eliminates the need for constant cleaning!

Luke Buckle thanked tracythackeray
    Best Answer
  • suancol
    2 years ago

baking soda and vinegar are best

Luke Buckle thanked suancol
  • Tanya Waterman
    2 years ago
    A series of microfibres cleaning cloths. I haven't used chemicals in my house for twenty-odd years and since the advent of the micro cloths it's even easier to clean. I also have a squeegee in the shower and I remove the water drops from the walls and screen after (almost) every shower. I'd do it every time but that would make me an obsessive ratbag lol. There's never any soap scum to clean off as a result, and my grouting and tiles are still brilliant white.
  • olldroo
    2 years ago

Definitely squeegee the shower after use and no, Tanya you would not be obsessive, the water does eventually penetrate the glass and cloud it. Magic Erasers are top of my list otherwise.

I am interested to hear from Houzzers who use steam mops and the attachments that come with them now for heavy duty cleaning. You Tube makes everything look so easy but do they really work?

• Lyn Huppatz
    2 years ago
    Yes Olldroo steam cleaners/steam mops do really work. Great for grout and around taps etc.
  • olldroo
    2 years ago

Thanks Lyn, how would they work on things like oven racks? Have you tried that?

• Lyn Huppatz
    2 years ago
    Olldroo a steam cleaner works on oven racks. I am retired teacher so no ties to steam cleaning sales or merchandise just love my steam cleaner. Cheers.
  • olldroo
    2 years ago

Thanks again Lyn, it is those little things that really seem to make them worthwhile. I'll send Santa a letter.

• Deonne Lyness
    2 years ago

I inherited some Enjo cleaning cloths with our house; I was a very skeptical, but they are brilliant - especially the bathroom min. It gets off mould and soap scum easily.

Luke Buckle thanked Deonne Lyness
  • sarah_eddy6
    2 years ago

Ecowerx for cleaning the oven amazing!!), Method spray for my wooden floors and yes a toothbrush for more things than I ever considered, with jif or gumption for scrubbing extra grimy grooves. Oh and half cup water, half cup vinegar in a bowl, microwave for 5 mins then you only need to wipe the inside of the microwave to clean it.

• spmm
    2 years ago
    In the picture is the 'metal' shelving I was asking about in a question I just asked - looks like UK accessories - anyone have them in Australia?
  • Bernadette Staal
    2 years ago

I would like to say vinegar etc because it is a natural product but personally I think window cleaner e.g. Mr Muscle or similar works really well on a variety of surfaces without damaging them. I even clean my garden tools with it and it just wipes away all the grime. Another simple product is dish washing liquid and water. Simple things in life cost so little.....

• carolyn9542
    2 years ago

This glass cleaner recipe is sooo good and gets your glass/mirrors sooo clean that you have to be careful of the safety issue because it looks like there is no glass there. Check it out: http://www.crunchybetty.com/battle-of-the-homemade-glass-cleaners

Luke Buckle thanked carolyn9542
  • carolyn9542
    2 years ago

Also, here is a recipe for granite/stone bench tops that is brilliant:

Recipe for
    Homemade Granite Cleaner

• 1/4 c. rubbing alcohol
      or cheap vodka (this is what eliminates the streaks)
    • 3 -4 drops dish soap – 1/8 - 1/4 tsp
    • water — enough to fill
      the 16 oz bottle or 2 ½ cups
    • 2 or 3 drops essential
      oil (optional)

Mix all the
    ingredients in a 16 oz plastic spray bottle (found at most dollar stores), give
    it a shake, and you’re ready to clean.

Luke Buckle thanked carolyn9542
  • carolyn9542
    2 years ago

Here's the link for the granite cleaner: https://wellnessmama.com/267127/natural-granite-cleaner

• PRO
    Tom’s Upholstery Cleaning Melbourne
    2 years ago

Hello Luke,

Mostly we are using a Vacuum cleaner and eco-friendly cleaning products for the upholstery cleaning and other cleaning stuff. If you want to need some more details about us then visit us: http://tomsupholsterycleaning.com.au/

• me me
    2 years ago
    Enjo mop (and, no, I don't sell them)
  • VeeBee
    2 years ago
    Use a dry, used, dryer sheet to polish the chrome on your appliances and faucets before tossing it in the garbage.
  • myownstyle13
    2 years ago

My Ha-Ra mop and window cleaner (I don't sell them).

• me me
    2 years ago
    Vacuum cleaner, I dust with it and remove cobwebs as well as do the floors
  • PRO
    Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
    2 years ago

Stone Power Cleaner for Granite, Marble and especially Quartz..... No more fingerprints and it works great even as a stain remover even will remove pen, turmeric with one spray.

Luke Buckle thanked Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
  • oklouise
    2 years ago

a fairy godmother who cleans the whole house overnight so i don't have to think about it

• PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    2 years ago

Love my steam mop however don't use it on vinyl it kind of melts it.

• olldroo
    2 years ago

Hmm, that is interesting, I use mine in my vinyl lino flooring and it is fine. Maybe some brands are hotter than others.

• VeeBee
    2 years ago
    Since my last post I was given a micro fibre cleaning cloth that is unbelievable. I'd used other "no wipe" cloths for windows in the past without success, but this one really works! No cleaner- not even vinegar- is needed. Just run it under hot water, wring it out, and wipe the glass for a steak free shine. I have one I keep in the kitchen for my stainless steel appliances. it works beautifully on both the glass and steel portions and I stopped buying special wipes. The cloth I have is just called 'Cleaning Cloth' and comes from a little Amish store in Ohio, but similar ones are available online for less than $5.
  • HU-643717981
    8 days ago

My favorite cleaning tool is an old fashioned straw broom. Quite simple. But my favorite appliance is my new 2019 Samsung washer and dryer. They're amazing. My last ones needed appliance repairs every year, but these ones have a 5 year warranty!

• bargainhunter
    8 days ago

My Dyson Animal vacuum cleaner. It is the best appliance I have ever owned. (And I have a ducted vacuum I never use)