emily_sprague22

Need help updating tired, outdated brick ranch!

Emily Sprague
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have recently renovated the inside of our 1950's ranch/rambler, but need help with the exterior! We have new windows (with white trim as opposed to the off-white pictured), we have a new black door and have painted the shutters and railings black since these photos were taken - the garage doors remain maroon. We don't have a large budget, but are contemplating painting the trim/siding white, the garage doors either black or white, updating the lighting, and improving the landscaping. I would love to paint the brick white, but am concerned about the upkeep. We have also discussed adding a portico or porch (ideally) down the line, but there are egress windows from our basement to the right (facing) of the front door, which makes a porch challenging! Any photos, suggestions, ideas are welcome!

Comments (24)

• patricia hall
    6 years ago

I suggest painting the garage doors the same color you paint the siding. Paint the French doors black.

Emily Sprague thanked patricia hall
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

Nice house! The brick is very nice...don't paint it. White trim is usually a good choice with most brick. Sorry, you didn't ask but the shutters are much too small for the larger front windows. A wide, white trim would be a better fit. Looks like a pretty setting!

Emily Sprague thanked chloebud
  • Emily Sprague
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good point re. shutters! - thank you!

• er612
    6 years ago

I agree that you don't need shutters. The easiest update would be to paint the trim and garage doors white.

Emily Sprague thanked er612
  • l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

Shutters is gilding the lily with those groovy windows you have.

Why do you want a porch? You might consider adding a small patio in front if you just want a place to sit and look out. I have a small, small patio in my front yard, with just enough space for a cement bench. It is just a little area lined with landscape cloth and covered with red volcanic rock with the bench on top. I put a few colorful pots next to the bench. I have added another small area where I now have a lounge chair for my SO to lounge on while I am out working in the front yard! :)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    6 years ago

The shrubs are over pruned, out dated, and unsuitable; they should be removed.

Emily Sprague thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • Brian Edward
    6 years ago

i'd consider a brick paver walkway/stairs/porch and new landscaping.

Emily Sprague thanked Brian Edward
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Why don't you post a photo with your updates so we're on the same page? Agree with removal of your shutters and the old shaped landscaping. You might consider doing German Smear on the brick. Here's a before & after ofit on a brick similar to yours.

Emily Sprague thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Emily Sprague
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for the comments! Much appreciated. Working on getting updated pics. I just posted the pics I had at the time, which were from the listing. I agree the landscaping is awful and outdated - any suggestions on what to add/replace with are welcome!

• Emily Sprague
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hahah groveraxle! Yes, it's pretty bad. We need that landscape fairy to come back:)

• Emily Sprague
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Does anyone know - if I remove the shutters, will there likely be damage to the brick??

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

You won't know till you remove them. Brick is pretty impervious and generally doesn't fade, but you may need to wash the ones that have been exposed.

Emily Sprague thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

The existing shrubs are all wrong so complete redo there. The bed needs reshaping and the tree in the front yard needs limbing up. If you were standing at the street I'm sure it would be covering a good portion of view of your house ... for no good reason. Pictures that line up with front door and capture the full width of your yard in slightly overlapping shots would show a lot more than the photos you have above. Make your yard easier to understand and get better feedback.

• Emily Sprague
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay, here are some updated photos - sorry for not posting them originally. We clearly need to do something with the side of the house/garage doors. Worth painting the siding? Or maybe just the trim and doors? Thank you!!

• Maureen
    6 years ago

I would paint the garage and French doors black, to tie in with the front of the house and your roof.

Emily Sprague thanked Maureen
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Here's a start. Yank and trim trim trim what's left. Show off those windows on the right.

Emily Sprague thanked groveraxle
  • er612
    6 years ago

I agree with grover. Remove shutters and prune the landscaping. I would also paint the remaining trim and garage doors white. A few changes and it will look great! No need to paint the entire house.

Emily Sprague thanked er612
  • Emily Sprague
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for this, groveraxle! I am not good with photo shop. Love the dog:)

er612, think we should paint siding white as well, or leave as is? I think we've definitely decided against painting the brick.

• PRO
    Atelier Nelumbo Garden Design
    6 years ago

You should plant jasmin creepers on the walls

Emily Sprague thanked Atelier Nelumbo Garden Design
  • Emily Sprague
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Atelier Nelumbo Garden Design looked those up and really like them - where on the walls? Side of house?

• Sheri Stukel
    6 years ago

I am all for painting the brick! I would paint the house and trim this combo (BM Revere Pewter, P&L Pebble Gray) - Would take down the shutters as well.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

EBS, your new pictures aren't enough. Instead of taking them while standing in line with the end of the house, you need to line up with the front door. And you need to show a much wider span of scenery, extending beyond the ends of your house. The camera needs to pivot widely enough so we can see the neighboring houses. Also, move in a little closer. We don't need to see as much sky.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Please don't paint the brick. Why take a maintenance-free material that already looks good and make it something you'll have to attend to every few years. I've lived in my brick house for almost 30 years and it's the one part of the house I've had to do nothing to maintain.

Sponsored