justin_pedavoli

Deck Oil and Prep Advice please

Justin Pedavoli
6 years ago

Hi there ,

Have just laid a new deck - BlackButt 130 x 19 used "secret nail - Camo (75 sq No cover) (85 sq Covered)

I want to use - Intergrain Ultra Deck- Natural (water based) I am thinking 2 coats

Looking to sand and oil with in a week of it been laid.

What is your advice on Prep ? Thank you

Comments (8)

• Lyn Huppatz
    6 years ago
    Have you searched Houzz for deck care stories/advice lots of info and may be helpful while you wait for replies from knowledgeable Houzzers.
  • PRO
    JPM Creations
    6 years ago

Some may say otherwise but i am sure you wait a good 4-6 weeks after install before finishing. We used Intergrain Oil Based finish for a Outdoor Bloodwood Bar top we did awhile back and we done 3 coats on top with a dry Time of a day between coats. Would be less dry time normal but depends on weather when finishing. And best bit ot was 95% organic so no nasty smells when finishing

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

we now use British Paints water based coating x 2 for around our pool and internal courtyard it does a better job than some others and price is great

• Gallifrey
    6 years ago
    Avoid Intergrain. Ruined our deck using this.

Now use Cutek as mentioned above.
  • PRO
    Nanotech Products Pty Ltd
    6 years ago

I've coated many decks and the best advise I've been given is "leave it natural". Most timbers go grey after a few months and don't look too bad. If you want a bi-annual maintenance job the other bit of good advise I've had directly from the manufacturer is put down four coats minimum. The third and fourth coats won't use so much oil because they don't soak in. A very light sand between coats keeping in the direction of the grain is a good idea to retain a finish without wood grain or dust spoiling the final appearance. Two coats, no matter which brand or type of oil will last about a year in our sun.

• John Henson
    6 years ago
    If it's water based don't use it!
    If it's a petro chemical, don't use it(google the products msds) cutek cd 50 could be the exception to this but I still don't use it.
    If you can buy it at Bunnings don't use it
    Never leave timber untreated. If you want the grey, use oil without stain.
    I use Organoil and Livos
  • antonia_d
    6 years ago
    Another vote for Cutek.
    Following an extensive renovation, our builder applied a water based stain on all our timber. Within 6 months we had to strip it all back and reapply as the stain was not durable in the sun. We have since applied with Cutek and are really happy with the results.