bronwyn_powter

Ikea Askersund

Bronwyn Powter
6 years ago

Has anyone used the IKEA Askersund cabinet fronts in any recent kitchen upgrades? I am going with a Scandi white (Voxtorp - intergrated handles) for the base cabinetry, and then tossing up between the Askersund or Ekerstad for the wall (upper) and tall cabinetry. I am concerned the Ekerstad will be too yellow, and it has a frame sort of thing that I am not keen on, however, I am also concerned that the Askersund might be too pale. Something in-between would have been ideal I guess. I guess I could get Laminex or Formica to make up some fronts for me, but it all seems like a lot of extra seeking out of trades, given that this all started with me doing a small kitchen refresh! Now it's a new sink and tap, new cooktop and range hood, new cabinetry, fronts, and floors!! Also keen to know if people have installed their own IKEA kitchens, or had people install for them.

Comments (33)

• Ann
    6 years ago
    I absolutely agree with Dr Retro House Calls. Our Method cabinets were installed by a builder, who compensated for old walls & floor by shaving bits off render here and cabinetry there. Once the carcasses were up, I put all the doors & drawers on. The kitchen looks fabulous & works beautifully by the way.
    Bronwyn Powter thanked Ann
  • Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks Ann. Any photos? Im really keen to see how others have worked. I have engaged a cabinet maker who will come to help us, so long as we build all of the cabinets first. He will then come to assist with the rip out the night before, and then install then next day. Eek. Scary.

• sarah_eddy6
    6 years ago

The cabinets are quite straightforward to assemble, my mum did all hers last year and then had her builder install them. Just try to be systematic and leave enough time to do a few at a time. But yes definitely have a professional to install.

Bronwyn Powter thanked sarah_eddy6
  • Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So, we've (my husband) has built 3 cabinets thus far. No problems to speak of in the assembly part. Keep the comments coming, I'm keen to learn as much as possible.

• Ann
    6 years ago
    I’ll try and put a photo up later. Good luck & enjoy the finished kitchen!
  • Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, all of our cabinetry is now in, with thanks to my hubby and a very handy cousin. All is straight, and have stone people coming to do their measure shortly. I went with the white Voxtorp and Askersund fronts. So far looking quite good. I must admit, Ikea kitchen staff at North Leakes (Brisbane) have been exceptional. Have chosen to inject a much of colour with the splash back tiles, however, didn't realise they would take three months to order! Only just placed the order, they won't be here until Feb 2018!

• Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Getting to the pointy end of the reno. As we have done much of it ourselves, it's taken us forever (two working parents) It took me a while to find a stone mason who had our vision with the bench top, but we got there in the end. Still a few cabinet fronts to put on after the plumber and electrician come. I am happy with the Askersund, however, we have already scratched the Voxtorp. It chips really easily, and from the store sample, looks like it stains pretty easily too. Will have to keep an eye on how that goes.

• Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Any ideas of what type of handle to use on the wood cabinetry? I like the idea of brass handles, however, there is no other brass or gold colour in kitchen (will be a bit of yellow in the splash back) The sink and tap are stainless steel and chrome. I also like a contrast wood colour handle, so like a darker walnut handle in either a round shape or, a more modern slim line. Anyone have ideas?

• Laura K Morghon
    6 years ago

Thank you for posting your photos! I am planning a new kitchen in the house I am buying and am strongly considering Askersund. I might mix it with Tingryd on the lower cabinets or I might just go all Askersund. And then there's the Kallarp wild card. I think Kallarp is a really interesting color and if I didn't live in cloudy Seattle I'd be in love with it but it's just a little too much like a gloomy sky. So I keep going back and trying to figure out if I want to add just a little Kallarp as an accent.

I am delighted to hear that you like the Askersund. My biggest concern has been whether it would hold up well. I love the look of it. Does if feel nice in the hand? More like wood than plastic?

Regarding handles, I've been thinking of a simple arch style pull. I want to avoid anything that will snag on clothing or purse straps as people walk by. If I go all Askersund I will probably use a chrome or satin nickel color. If I incorporate the Tingryd I might go with a gold or antiqued brass arch. I like the idea of a handle that is a bit longer than traditional handles, so maybe 6 inches, not anything too crazy. Did you already decide on something? If so, what did you pick?

• Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Well, this is almost the finished product. Ikea cabinets, with Askersund and Voxtorp fronts. Smartstone bench tops. Schweigen ranged inside overhead cabinets. Oliveri sink and tap. Ikea microwave, existing Belling double oven, and Smeg induction cooktop. Mutina Tex tiles. Flooring in QLD Blackbutt vinyl planks from Flooring Xtra. All that is left is window furnishings, which we are tossing up between Luxaflex translucent blinds or Kresta similar product.

• legendaryflame
    5 years ago
    Picture, Bronwyn? Would love to see your almost finished efforts!
  • Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• staceymcote
    5 years ago

Hi Bronwyn, congratulations on your great work; your kitchen looks amazing. We're looking to do a similar voxtorp/askersund combination. Any lessons learned from either front panel choice? Durability, ease of cleaning, etc?

Bronwyn Powter thanked staceymcote
  • kiwimills
    5 years ago
    How great is that splash back...worth the wait!!
    Bronwyn Powter thanked kiwimills
  • Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Stacey, So far, (one year on) we've been really happy with the finish of both the Voxtorp and Askersund. The Askersund looks brand new. We were worries about staining on the Voxtorp, as in store, there were dirty hand marks on it everywhere, but it wipes clean quite well. I still haven't put any handles on anything, and in fact, just haven't had the need to. Our pantry is Askersund and gets used all day everyday, and has held up really well. I know a lot of people bag out the Ikea stuff, but so far, we've been really happy.

• Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Next up - laundry!!

• Mims M
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi there, can you please let me know if you kitchen from IKEA, Askersund is still working and looking good? We have planned to buy this model, but I am concerned about the quality. I love IKEA products, but never had a kitchen from IKEA.

• Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Mims, yes, both Askersund and Victors have held up well, and we still really love our kitchen. I’m amazed, I wasnt sure how it would all go, but have been to impressed with our ikea kitchen with stone bench top and Italian splashback. We did the laundry with Voxtorp as well with the ikea Askersund looking bench top, and same splashback. Loving that as well.

• Mims M
    3 years ago

Thanks a lot for your reply! I feel more comfortable now with my choice :)

• Sachi
    3 years ago

Bronwyn, does the askersund that you have used for your walk cabinets have an overhang that allow you to open it without handles? Or is it an integrated handle?
    Thank you

• Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It doesn't have either. There is no handle, but no overhang either. As the door sits on front of the cabinet itself, we just use our fingers to open the pantry. Our pantry gets opened probably around 50 times a day, and we've never had a problem opening the cupboards.

• Sachi
    3 years ago

Hmmm ok thanks so much for that! I’m looking at the exact same combination of cabinets but was stumped on how to get a wood grain handleless door from ikea to match the handleless voxtorp. This has given me food for thought. Thank you.
    Are you happy with the Matt white voxtorp? No major issues with chipping?

• Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, I have been happy with the matt finish. I was originally concerned with staining, but everything wipes off, and definitely no issues with chipping.

• Sachi
    3 years ago

Awesome good to hear. Thank you so much.

• Erin
    3 years ago

Hello. Just thought I would just on this thread as we are about to commit to the voxtorp matt white base cabinets in our new kitchen. I noticed you have a corner cupboard, which we will have two of in our layout. Is there a gap at the top between the two corner doors where the "J" groove handles fold to close the cupboard? Hope that question makes sense.

• Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No handles on the Askersund, but we just grab the door itself to open it.

• Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The corner cabinet in the matt voxtorp

• Leah Christians
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Bronwyn I also have the askersund but have had difficulty filling in small gaps, like on the corner cabinets. I tried a cover panel to no avail. What I think I need is a piece of edge banding here but I can't find anything that matches. Any advice?

• Bronwyn Powter
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ahh, I think I see. So the angle is not 90 degrees? Hmm, that's tricky one. Yes, some edging could work, or, potentially a matching paint. It's so slim, I am not sure it would be noticeable, until you open the cabinet I suppose. I am sorry, I dont really know what to do there, all . of our angles were 90 degrees.

• nev maev
    2 years ago

Hi, Bronwyn - love your kitchen :)

We are planning a complete kitchen renovation and love the two choices that you have for the cabinets fronts. Seeing you did your kitchen about 4 years ago my first question will be of durability :) How do both finishes feel - plasticky or more like real wood? For the Voxtorp I will have only wall cabinets (no drawers) of it and wonder with the integrated handle - does it align well (I tend to have OCD and if there are no even will drive me crazy :) ).