kidssiam

Fragrant, evergreen, quick growing, low maintenance Novice to NZ flora

kidssiam
6 years ago

Ideally, I want to 'clothe' my fence and some walls of my soon to be built single storey house in the Canterbury region of New Zealand with either fragrant or evergreen and hopefuuly quick growing plants. I have quite a large patio area, which will be softened by this planting. I would also prefer not to have any lawn so that I can have an abundance of flowers and room for veggies In the remaining (narrowish) space around the house.

1. Trouble is I know I probably can't have all my wishes in one species. So given my old age I suppose I need quick growing evergreens first so there is something to look at all year round rather than just the fence! Interspersed with species to give colour and fragrance during the year.

I would like to paint the fence too, to make it appear to recede but also to enhance the planting.

2. I love climbing roses, wisteria, honysuckle, clematis and similar and I am used to seasonal planting in hanging baskets, wall planters etc. and would like to continue this in NZ but fixing any of these to the walls of the house has already been vetoed by the builder as each fixing is potentially an entry for water. How do I support these plants in their growth if I can't do this? The area is considered windy so any other structure would have to withstand the elements as well as the increasing weight of plant growth.

3. There is a covenant that states that I should not plant any tree that will grow over 1.8 metres tall, which is max fence height. I am unsure if this pertains to shrubs too but I do need ideas for quickgrowing evergrren colourful shrub choice to create privacy on the two sides of the garden where the council have already installed 1.2m high railings.

TIA to all for suggestions.

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Texture Landscapes: a division of Texture Group
    6 years ago

Hi,

I would recommend staining the fence black as this will naturally recede and make the plants the features as intended.

To meet the evergreen and fragrant line, my first recommendation would have to be Trachelospermum jasminoides - Star Jasmine. It's a great plant for the Canterbury climate, it also has beautiful glossy green leaves and masses of white fragrant flowers. The best option to support these along with some of the other varieties you have mentioned is to install a green screen (ultimately a free standing mesh panel) which allows everything to grow and hang onto without the risk of water damage to the house.

As far as screening goes Grisilinia Ardmore is a great option, reasonably fast growing and easy to maintain. What subdivision prevents trees over 1.8m, as this definitely limits your options to create a great landscape.

Ultimately although your garden seems small you would definitely benefit from a design, either map it out and work out how much space you require for each requirement or invest in getting someone to look at it. A well designed plan can take out all the headaches of planting the wrong things or second guessing yourself as well as add a lot to your main investment.

Thanks,

Texture

• kidssiam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for the advice. Not sure about black as a colour choice but love navy blue. That would recede but then maybe the greens contrast not so effective? Or dark grey? My roof will be slate grey.

Are these free standing mesh panels widely available? The only mesh with which I am familiar as mentioned has to be fixed to the wall or fence. I had thought that the support would need to be freestanding but as my area is also very windy (Lots of Norwesters) I will need to choose carefully from what is available so they are in themslves protected.

I have planted jasmine before in Europe but not been successful with an abundance of flowers either in France or Uk, which Is why I didn't list it. However, I am willing to give it another go as the foliage and habit are lovely.

Am now going to look up the hedging you mentioned.

Was thinking of getting the garden landscaped by someone local to my area but I am sure, like you, they will wonder at the 1.8m restriction! Sadly my subdivision permits only oak trees ( which they removed when subdividing) to be planted which we know grow over 1.8metres. What they hoped to achieve by creating that constraint is beyond me but I am not going to go against it as someone down my road was 'made' to remove their newly planted magnolia trees as they were already over 1.8 when planted. Further I won't live long enough to see an oak tree grow to its prime!

TIA of further comment.

Kidssiam

• PRO
    Texture Landscapes: a division of Texture Group
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Dark grey or slat grey would both be good options, be careful when using colours on fences as it makes them the focal point rather than the planting etc around them.

Yes they come from Boundary line fencing https://www.boundaryline.co.nz/product/green-screen/ and then a local landscaper likes of ourselves can install them for you. In your situation we would just install a 50x50mm post between each panel which makes them free standing and handle the winds we all deal with. The panels can be installed two high or spun around and installed vertically rather than horizontally.

No problem, there is a few trees that will work within the height restrictions, so I'm sure we can create something that would work. We are based just out of Prebbleton and service most of Canterbury so feel free to make a time to come in and bring some photos and we can get a few more ideas going and offer you a few solutions or alternative arrange for an onsite consultation.

Thanks,

Will

kidssiam thanked Texture Landscapes: a division of Texture Group