bron_toomey

Caesarstone Rugged Concrete & Cloudburst Concrete

Bron Toomey
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am about to instal these bench tops in my kitchen renovation and am keen to hear of others experiences please.

Comments (84)

• Bron Toomey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here are some details for you!
  • PRO
    Moss Furniture
    5 years ago

Hi Bron I love the look of your kitchen we recently installed a showroom desk in Cloudburst Concrete as well and we love it too. Hope you have many happy years in your Kitchen.

• Caro H
    5 years ago

Hi Bron.. Your island looks great. Is it a 20mm width? I also fell in love with the Cloudburst. But am tossing up that, Organic White or Pure White....Decisions!!

• Bron Toomey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Mmmm decisions decisions lol! Yes mine is 20mm! Good luck with your decisions - I absolutely adore the feel of my bench, it is amazing
  • Lyn Jones
    5 years ago

What do you think of rugged concrete as an island bench 2850 mm waterfall 20mm white 2 pac cupboards under then on back bench same ( rugged concrete ) which is only 2700mm all white 2 pac cupboards underneath and above wanting to put this type of tile 300x600 southern cross infinity colour pepper

your thoughts x

• Bron Toomey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Lynn gee it’s hard to say without seeing the whole area. I went away from it because when the caesarstone rep sent the larger samples I used them as coasters and as part of my normal kitchen bench - the rugged concrete showed up every glass mark and food mark whereas the cloudburst was a little more forgiving.
    I really loved how Ronnie and Georgia used it in their kitchen on the block. I think it needs something to balance and soften it as it is quite harsh. It’s a lovely product but without the softness it looks very Android to me.
    I think you should envision how you want to feel in your space and then create it! Some questions I have before I could offer an opinion are: Will your dark splash back make your area feel enclosed? What colour white cupboards will you use and are they Matt or gloss? What flooring will you have?
  • Lyn Jones
    5 years ago

My cupboards are all polar white gloss 2pac and I'm going with wood floors

on the back wall will be my over head cupboards under mount exhaust fan Gas glass hot plates and under bench oven on one end will be entrance into laundry and other end of bench will be entrance to butlers pantry like everyone else would like my space to be wow statement

• Lyn Jones
    5 years ago

My problem is my splash back what to put with rugged concrete

• Bron Toomey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Lyn what if you used the rugged concrete as your backsplash as well? You will have already paid for the piece of stone so why not use all of it? What colour floor and what style of lighting will you install?
  • Andrea
    5 years ago

Hi all

We are going with rugged concrete for our new kitchen countertops and want to have a cpouple different colours for our cabinets. We want to use polytec black wenge matt for a wood textured look paired with a smooth grey colour. We can't decide which dulux or taubmans shade to go with. Originally we thought a lighter grey but now we are thinking darker. The floors will be Baltic pine with a lime wash to create a whitish colour. There will also be plenty of light in the kitchen with large windows. Any help would be appreciated!!! cheers Andrea

• Emma Roy
    5 years ago

I have painted wooden cabinets in natural white and am thinking cloudburst could Crete as bench top and splash back as well as on the island. I have a European oak wood floor - does this sound like it will go?

• Gabi
    5 years ago
    Hi everyone,

I am currently undergoing a kitchen and laundry renovation. I am in the process of choosing stones and I LOVE the cloud burst. The stone mason I am using has said some clients have experienced problems with the cloud burst because it fades quickly and because of the texture it stains easily. I’m tossing up between the cloud burst and Lithostone Carrara white and I don’t know which is more durable or looks nice. Any help would be appreciated :)
  • Lyn Jones
    5 years ago

Hi Gabi we went with rugged concrete with 2 pac polar white cupboards in our kitchen we love it but yes I'm aware of the things they say we don't children home and we also have a pantry with laminex for pre work

cloudburst and the new Aidry concrete are beautiful they used both on the block Kerrie and Spence used Aiery concrete and Bianca and Carla used cloudburst we just thought they were a little light with white cupboards

• Bron Toomey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Gabi I haven’t found my cloudburst to be any harder to keep clean than my other calacatta stone bench ..... jiffy is your best friend when you have an all light kitchen! I’ve started a baking business from home therefore my benches have a high work load and I had absolutely no troubles. I have to wipe my cupboards down to maintain a clean aesthetic so it doesn’t worry me at all that I have to jiff my bench tops -it’s a once a week thing when I clean the whole house so not onerous at all.
  • PRO
    Northcoast Kitchens
    5 years ago

Our stonemasons installed Cloudburst benchtops to a kitchen recently. The client loves them, but we discovered that the textured surface is not carried over onto the edges. His 40mm thick edges were polished smooth. This client wasn't bothered, but a mitred front edge would give a better result.

• Courtney Feldt
    5 years ago

Help please! For those of you who have installed and lived in ("used") your kitchen with Caesarstone Rugged Concrete please tell me what you think. I currently have AB Honed granite and it shows every fingerprint. I really like the photos I have seen of the Rugged Concrete, but have not been able to see a slab in person. I like the honed finish, not polished. I am drawn to the Rugged Concrete because of the color and texture. My new kitchen will have cherry cabinets, all flat front drawers, vg fir floors and tons of windows. Thank you.

• Angie Dattilo
    5 years ago
    This is an old post but we are considering the cloudburst. We originally wanted the fresh concrete but it shows water marks and finger prints. We have tried to stain the cloudburst with kool-aid, spaghetti sauce, salsa, ketchup, mustard, grape jelly, olive oil, a permanent marker, and a highlighter. Everything was left on overnight and wiped right up. The thing that impressed me the most was that when we left water on the fresh concrete it left a mark that wouldn’t come out. But when we left water on the cloudburst overnight the water just pooled on top of it. It looked like we had just poured it on. No soaking in, no drying and no water mark. I am curious if people on this thread still like the cloudburst after instillation
  • tlm
    5 years ago

Hi. Mine has only just gone in! Love the look but can’t yet comment on performance. Though when deciding I left red wine on it overnight and had no problems wiping it off the next day.

Meanwhile, waiting on rear bench top. First one broke on install! It’s black Dekton.

Now need help with splashback. dont want tiles. Would have glass but don’t want it to be shiny. Any ideas??

• tlm
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

So we are nearly there (finally!). Very happy so far. Waiting in rear bench take two (first one broke during install.. it’s Dekton porcelain). So glad I went with my first though and stuck with black cabinetry.

Need splashback ideas please. Don’t want tiles (no grout thanks). Needs to withstand heat of induction cooktop. Don’t want it to be shiny (can you get clear matte glass??)

• PRO
    NC Design Ltd
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi tml ... Had you considered using Dekton for the splash-back too? I've done this on a job recently and it came up amazing...

• Andrew Seerden
    5 years ago

We are considering cloudburst too and we LOVED the small sample we received from Caesarstone. It was very light and clean looking with a little subtle movement. However, when I saw a full slab in one of the dealers wharehouses, it looked different to me. It looked very "silvery" and shiny in parts, which is not the look we're going for. Is this everyone else's experience? Those of you who have used the cloudburst, do you have the silvery/shiny look in the movement? Any other pics? I appreciate it!

• Creativelychallenged
    5 years ago

NC Design and Tim both of the kitchens that you have posted look beautiful. Would you be able provide details on the timber look cupboards that were used on both projects and whether you think these colours would match with cloudburst benchtop. I am trying to think of colours to use on a 1500mm bathroom vanity, 1 x undermount sink, stone benchtop. The wall may be white and at the moment, the floors will either be a light grey or a grey/white terrazzo look tile. I am getting a cabinetmaker to do the vanity and so just didn't want to do it all white. My house is 1960's timber, very simple design - I was initially thinking of mid-century wall hung vanity, but can't seem to find the right timber look for the bathroom which is only 1.6 x 2.5m big.

• tlm
    5 years ago

Hi creativelychallenged! Ours is Laminex elegant oak natural finish. Love it woth the cloudburst.

My bathrooms are Timberline vanities in Polytek prime oak and I have a dark tile floor and all white walls. Looks great. (I think!).

• Creativelychallenged
    5 years ago

Thanks Tim, this is very helpful info.

• PRO
    NC Design Ltd
    5 years ago
    Hi Creatiychallanged The timber in my image is American White Oak veneer stained with Mirotone Stone and finished to a 30% gloss level. The white cabinets are Dezignatek Ecru - Matte Vinyl.
    I’m not too sure what the equivalent options are where you’re from. These are common brands/materials used here in New Zealand.
  • Creativelychallenged
    5 years ago

Thanks for the details NC Design Ltd!

• jenaryl
    4 years ago

Has anyone tried a white subway tile with cloudburst? On the fence, getting a matte or shiny? What other tile color would pair well with cloudburst. Perimeter white cabinets with little uppers. Island is walnut with clear coat. Thanks!

• tlm
    4 years ago

Hi. Yes! I have cloudburst island on white cabinetry And a Dekton rear bench in a black colour over black Fenix cabinetry. Did splashback in a white subway with a handmade look. Love it!! They are matte and a Dirty white rather than super brilliant white.

• tlm
    4 years ago

For general Add to this discussion, we have lived with the cloudburst now for a couple of weeks. At first I was very precious with it.. worried about marks etc. and cranky that it seemed to mark easily. I’ve relaxed a little and so glad I chose it as the pattern in it means things can blend in! In the right light you see thebkids sticky fingers etc but a quick wipe over (I use Norwex kitchen cloths) and it’s fine. Be mindful though, it feels and SOUNDS like a porcelain top so noisy as plates etc slide across it unlike “normal” caesarstone.

• Lyn Jones
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have rugged concrete benches white gloss cabinets and went for a grey splashback was also considering white but thought I had enough white with cupboards also thought about going with a marble look but using them in another pattern not subway look

• PRO
    Ambition Kitchens and Joinery
    4 years ago
    Updated picture of the laundry I posted above , I think the cloudburst looks great!
  • Lyn Jones
    4 years ago

looks lovely

yes the cloudburst or Aiery are both beautiful colours

• Ofir Sudai
    4 years ago

Hi,

We are considering the Cloudburst with Ikea Ringhult (Glossy) white cabinet Doors for both the bench and the kitchen island. Our floors are also concrete but a bit of a darker color than the clourburst. Any recomendations on matching Cloudburst with white cabinets? I understand the cloudburst is honed, does that go with glossy cabinets?

Thank you

• Carina McCosh
    4 years ago

Hello everyone!
    I’m just wondering how your caeserstone benchtops have gone since instillation. Do they stain and chip? I’ve read so many reviews saying that they are terrible to keep clean-staining easily, showing marks, even water marks.
    I’m thinking of installing airy concrete in my kitchen but now I’m not so sure after reading so many bad reviews.
    I’d love to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks in advance
    C

• Lyn Jones
    4 years ago

Airy concrete is divine

I have rugged concrete 6months in no issues yet I've relaxed a bit more don't have kids only when grandchildren come but no issues

• Marwah Serag
    4 years ago

@emma gable - how do you think the cloudburst would look in a kitchen with white high gloss cabinets and light oak hardwood flooring?

• Lyn Jones
    4 years ago

beautiful

• tarynw
    4 years ago

Hi I love the Cloudburst Concrete and I am looking at installing it in our bathroom but I am very concerned about the reviews saying that it stains easily and very hard to keep clean - thoughts please? Thank you!

• Adrienne
    4 years ago

I have similar questions/concerns about the Airy Concrete. I love it and was about to purchase it for our kitchen, but am now hesitating after reading reviews about staining/marks/difficulty cleaning. If anyone has updated experiences I’d really love to hear. Thank you!

• Carina McCosh
    4 years ago

Hi Adrienne. Since I wrote my comment I have been to the caeserstone showroom in Melbourne and I questioned them about the staining. The lady was really good and explained the material and how is it very resistant to staining. Also she said that pretty much anything will stain any kind of stone bench top and even more so, if you let the stain sit and soak in. She gave me two sample pieces of the airy concrete and also a sample bottle of their stone bench cleaner. She said to spill something in one of the samples and test out the cleaner. To be honest I haven’t done that yet. But a friend of mine said they used it when they spilt red wine on white stone bench and concrete flooring and used the cleaner. He said that you wouldn’t even know that the wine was spilt, no stain at all.
    I’m still going with it. I just love it. Fell more in love with it when I saw the huge slab of it at the caeserstone showroom!!

• tlm
    4 years ago

We are now five months down the track with Cloudburst. Love it. BUT it does stains with somethings and I’ve not been able to get it out, even with the Caesar stone cleaning products. The discoloration is minor. But I know it’s there. Worst culprit is capsicum! And Tumeric. Everything else including red wine is not a problem. It’s not a bad stain. Just a hint and to be honest i need to really hunt to find it but it is there albeit faintly. End result. Love the cloudburst and will live with this.

• Adrienne
    4 years ago

Thank you Tim and Carina for the responses! I have a sample of the Airy Concrete here and am putting it to the test - so far red wine left on overnight came completely with just water and a sponge, as well as water rings. I also really love it and feel like at this point I'd be settling for anything else, so I'll test a few more things and if the stains aren't there or aren't too bad I may just go for it :) . We use turmeric quite a bit, too so I'll test that. Thank you again!

• emilysynnott
    4 years ago

ho w did you go with this Adrienne? Red wine capsicum and tumeric are all regulars at our house! We had Fresh concrete lined up but reading the reviews seemed like the worst for stains!

• Adrienne
    4 years ago

I decided to go for it - installation started today! I left turmeric mixed with oil on our sample for over a day, and it left the slightest stain, honestly I could hardly even find it when I hadn't looked at it in awhile. And everything else (red wine included) totally came up after 24+ hours. Fingers crossed we made the right decision, only time will tell!

• absannamai
    4 years ago

We had the cloud burst concrete fitted in December 2018. It’s been fine for all spillages except tea and some oil cane out of a washed wooden chopping board which I just cannot get out. I’ve tried mr Muscle and cig and a scourer and a lot of elbow grease. If any has any tips on how to get it out then please let me know. I do love my worktops though and splash back.

• T K
    3 years ago

Hi - just giving this a little bump for those who do have a concrete version of the Caesarstone installed. We are thinking of using this as our splashback too but am worried about stains from oil /butter / etc from any frying on the stovetop ...
    Thanks in advance

• emilysynnott
    3 years ago

We chose not to go with it and when the installers came they said they don’t understand why anyone goes with it and showed us some slabs they had in the back of their truck that already had handprints all over. Hard to clean. We’re relieved we didn’t go with it even though it looks fabulous untouched!

• tarynw
    3 years ago

I installed Caesarstone Cloudburst concrete in my bathroom. I love the look of it and its good in the bathroom as long as you are careful with any makeup as it does mark if you don't get it off straight away. I would not install in a kitchen as it would be a nightmare to keep clean and would stain with spices, red wine, cooking etc.

• Samantha Sasyniuk
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi All,

It sounds like tumeric and grease are the worst culprits for staining. We are looking to put the Cloudburst in our kitchen as our island and backsplash, but I'm very nervous. I love to cook and host. I also LOVE the look of this stone and would like to make it work if we can.

Are there any bakers on this thread that have experience with these countertops? If you are rolling out dough or baking with greasy dough, how has that experience been? What if you get butter/oil on it? Any tips? Do you cover the counter before doing your baking etc.?

I imagine beet juice would also be a nightmare?

• HU-519487616
    last year

Hi, I really like the look of cloudburst concrete, so understand your leanings. We installed a new kitchen late last year. We were told that it does stain and isn't really a good choice for kitchens by a consultant at the Caesarstone showroom and by a kitchen supply company who had it displayed as a benchtop in their showroom. Both people said that it was more suited to an office or a console table. It might be worth visiting a Caesarstone showroom if you havent already and you have the opportunity, to speak with an expert there. Good luck with your kitchen journey.