sharon_ayres52

NZs top building franchise stuffed up our cladding - new ideas please!

sharon_ayres52
6 years ago

We're building with the local franchise of a very well known building company. We went into the build with a very clear idea of what we wanted (and didn't want) the cladding to be. We were going for a white brick with dark cedar, dark roof, dark joinery etc. However, budget didn't allow for the cedar so the company suggested another product (pine), we agreed on the dark stain colour and signed the dotted line (that was 9 months ago).

The day before painting was scheduled to begin, they tell us that they made a mistake and specc'ed a product that can't be painted dark (you in the know probably got that when I mentioned 'pine' but we didn't have a clue).

So - the options we've been given is that they can replace the pine shiplap with Linea Oblique, or we can paint the brick to alter the colour scheme. Or we can pay them to upgrade to cedar (which we couldn't afford then definately can't afford now that we're at the paying rent AND mortgage stage!).

I had a thought to paint everything out white (brick and existing shiplap). The Linea is being used on a house 2 doors down, and it does kinda remind me of units built in 1980's.

They can't apply Axon panels (or similar) due to the existing prep-work under the shiplap so I don't know what else we can do.

Does anyone have any recommendations of another product available in NZ that we could suggest that would give us that dark cedar look - or any colour schemes that may magically make the house look different and modern?

Comments (7)