avolin

Top of rail shower above height of shower screen? Will it look odd?

avolin
6 years ago

We are renovating our bathroom and recently installed an adjustable rail shower. My partner is tall (but not that tall!) and he insisted we install the shower higher than standard. The top of the rail is just over 2 m, maybe 2.1 m.

Now we are looking at semi-frameless shower screens, and it seems like very few suppliers have screens taller than 2 m, or we have to get it custom made. Most standard ones are 1.9 or 1.95 m tall. Our ceiling height is 2.43 m.

Is it really bad to have the top of the shower rail "stick out" above the shower screen? The shower head of course wouldn't be placed at the top of the rail so it shouldn't stick out / splash water out - but will it look odd???

Comments (16)

• oklouise
    6 years ago

won't look odd once you get used to it but would be interested to know the difference in price and, if you later find it odd, you can at least know what the savings was able to pay for or perhaps decide that savings in another area more easily updated fixture (eg cheaoer taps) may be worth the extra cost of the taller glass screen

avolin thanked oklouise
  • bigreader
    6 years ago
    I’d price a custom made from a smaller local supplier. You may be pleasantly surprised. To me it would look odd but better that than your partner being uncomfortable in the daily shower.
    avolin thanked bigreader
  • avolin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Phew - feeling more relieved now. I am also waiting for some quotes for a custom screen. Thanks for all your comments!

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Just to clarify, you mentioned semi-frameless, so there will be a rail across the top? Personally, I'd get custom-made one priced, and if not too prohibitive, get it!

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    6 years ago
    depending the size of the bathroom, perspective eyesight might help conceal the shower rail from different directions.
  • Audrey1967!
    4 years ago

avolin I am interested in knowing what you ended up doing as I have the same issue

• Audrey1967!
    4 years ago

I am struggling to find any pictures of where someone has the shower fittings higher than their shower screen to see how odd it actually would look like. One of my 101 learnings about getting the wrong tradesperson to "project manage" my bathroom renovation (until he went MIA), was not voicing louder to the plumber's assistant who actually did the shower connections, that what the "project manager" had suggested for heights of shower connections was way too high. I had actually double-checked it on the previous weekend with a friend and we both thought that it needed to be lowered by 100-150 mm, but when I said this to the "project manager" he ignored me as did the plumber assistant who made the connections....I know how a handheld shower only (which is all I wanted) fitting that is at 2070mm in one bathroom and 2020mm in the other bathroom. As there is no shower rail (because I wanted things to look simple), I get my daily stretches just to reach the handheld shower.....I am happy with the progress of my bathroom, except for all of the stuffups caused by this particular "tradesperson/project manager". We live and learn....I can't do anything about what has happened, but can only minimise the impact where possible and learn from all the things that went wrong, if there is ever a next time. I should make a list of the learnings once bathroom is finished.

• avolin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Haha Audrey, I learnt so much from our renovation too! I've attached a photo of our end result .. we ended up going with the standard height screen - you can't even tell the rail sticks out hey! As someone said above, depending on the size of the bathroom, you won't even tell because of perspective! If I stepped way back (outside of the bathroom) and then took a photo, you'd be able to tell, but honestly I have never turned my mind to it again since we moved in and used the shower. Let me know if I can assure you any more!

• Audrey1967!
    4 years ago

Thanks avolin. So is the shower screen height at 2.0 metres and the top of the rail at 2.1 metres? Mine is actually a lot worse because it just has the connection to the wall like the one you have for the hose. It is at 2060mm and then the handheld shower sits in that fitting. This means that the actual handheld shower will point upwards from the top of the shower. I may have to buy a shower rail and get it installed in the opposite way to what is normal. You have at least put my mind at ease about the actual wall connection itself though. I had totally forgotten about the fact that the handheld shower also points upward from that fitting.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

can the wall rail be shorted on the top and or both, it would mean you wil have to move the wall connection down and replace the tile where it had previously been connected, if you follow me

• Audrey1967!
    4 years ago

sirluskey, it is actually the water connections that is at that height in my bathroom.....I find it hard enough to trust others to take control of things on my behalf and I trusted this guy, and where I thought he was wrong, I thought it was me, not him.....I am now finding that EVERYTHING that he did differently and that I thought was wrong, WAS WRONG and it is costing extra money in every element of bathroom to compensate/change the issue.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

well that changes that, I guess if you just live with it and make a little stopper on the rail so that the shower rose can't be extended to full height, There are those out there that will take the easy way out without having to responsible for their actions. So whats the difference between an off the shelf height and a special order, it's only money.

• avolin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yep my shower screen was 2m high and the top of the rail was 2.1m high. If your water connection is that high up, I think as you suggested installing a rail and then being able to place the shower head on that instead (move it up or down) it could solve your problem. Don't stress too much about this!

• Sophie Robson
    3 years ago

hi Audrey, we've just bought a rail shower that has the water inlet at the top not the bottom. if you get one of those you can at least fix the shower head where you can reach it, even if it does stick above the shower screen. they're not that hard to find, probably 20% of the ones on the market.

• Audrey1967!
    3 years ago

Thanks Sophie.