kylie_rule

Please help with layout for Master WIR & Ensuite

Kiki Ky
6 years ago
Hi all would really appreciate some guidance!
Renovating Master WIR & Ensuite
Current floor plan and dimensions attached.
AIM: to increase capacity for robe storage. Enclose Ensuite or just close off the double shower to deal with issue of steam affecting clothing in WIR. The central dividing wall between WIR/Ens and Bedroom is not full height as the room as a whole has raked ceilings.
Floor plan attached shows entry door to Master at bottom left. The angled wall is French doors which open outwards to a small deck.

Comments (27)

• Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi oklouise I’m so thrilled to have your thoughts! Thank you for taking the time. We can rearrange walls and fittings (including the small bathroom window currently above toilet) the other window on the eastern side is full height so more problematic to change. The wall where the vanity is currently is not full height so not load bearing or of any significance. Single story home and this room is on floorboards with access underneath for the most part as the ground drops away from south to north. The dotted lines shown in the plan show the raked ceiling with the highest pitch/point roughly through the centre of the room south to north. This does make me want to work with the symmetry if possible however think I will probably have to let this go. I do prefer option 2 however would like a wider Ensuite if at all possible. Having the angled wall reduces options somewhat. Is it at all possible to have it all! .. PS Here is a photo of an Ensuite I love with the wall of the shower visible from entry. Also love the skylight above the shower.
  • Related Discussions

Shared bathroom, doubles as ensuite, long narrow space! Help!

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks houssaon and rinqreation! Funny - hubby has the same 2 door hate! It sounds like I'm being outvoted on the shared ensuite idea. :) We've actually been set on both the configurations you suggested, we moved away from yours houssaon because we really wanted to keep a closed off office space (and hubby built the front deck and landing already for the door at the end of the hallway!). And I don't know why we shifted the door on the bedroom back to the same area, I think it was about having easy access to all the kids bedrooms. But maybe we should shift it back as you suggest rinqreation. Joice, the door at the end of the hallway is the front door, the entrance closest to the street, that you would come to first if you were a visitor. Not totally necessary, but we reinstated it before we decided we wanted the entrance up the stairs (middle bottom) which would be under a carport. Thanks for all your input!! It's really helpful to have some unattached opinions. I'm keen to hear from anyone else on the shared ensuite or 2 door hate question! :)
    ...See More

Best bathroom layout for my first house? Help please!

Q

Comments (14)
    We have a 900x900 shower and it's plenty big enough. Neither of your proposed layouts looks that great, to be perfectly honest, sorry! In the first layout, you could improve it quite a lot by swapping the toilet and vanity (centre the toilet under the window on the bottom right of the picture if possible), and having the shower door on the other wall (beside the door). Then, you could have a towel rail on the wall beside the door (i.e. behind the door when it's open), which would be accessible from the shower but hidden when the door was open. An 800x1200 shower might be a good size for your space. You'd have to choose a toilet that doesn't protrude too far, plus a narrow vanity. With that layout, you could have a long but narrow wall-hung vanity, with a big mirror covering the wall between the windows, which would make the room feel bigger and would give a good amount of storage. Also, you may find this helpful: http://www.houseplanshelper.com/small-bathroom-floor-plans.html?utm_content=buffer4aa20&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    ...See More

Help required – designing an ensuite for master bedroom.

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Royce, great job on the drawings! Is there only one window in the master bedroom?
    ...See More

Small Ensuite Layout

Q

Comments (2)
    We built a new home where we walk through our wardrobe into the ensuite and it works really well. I would suggest getting rid of the first pocket door as we found you don't need this and it keeps it more open. I assume the rectangle is the shower? Is there a window in there?
    ...See More
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

enlarged the second option and added two windows and closing doors (and full height walls) to the ensuite for better cross ventilation and the wall behind the bed needs only to be a door height partition to maintain thesymmetry and open feeling of the raked ceiling

and also found another another "symmetrical" (but less spacious) option but this one would need full height walls

• Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks so much. I really like that revised second version. I’m wondering about another option though - pls excuse my average drawing ability! Do you think this would enable more useable robe space or not? I was trying to figure out the actual hanging/storage dimensions of your design and the distance from the foot of the bed to the French doors. My thought is due to the raked ceiling I could potentially build in storage full height on the central wall. As Ens needs a solid wall full height behind the bed. The open-ness with high ceilings would still be in the bedroom part of the space. The toilet would stay in the same location however the shower and vanity would need moving. Also I’m not bothered by going through the Ens to get to robe but have noticed lots of discussion on this @houzz so maybe it is not ideal. Could I ask you to plot this idea for me please and share your thoughts?
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

happy to keep testing ideas for you and your last idea has more wardrobe wall but the ensuite is smaller and the doorways between ens. toilet and wiw are adequate but a little tight ...who knew there would be so many choices...

Kiki Ky thanked oklouise
  • Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow ok that really helps, thanks so much :) If you have time there is one more thing I would like to try. If we swap the shower and vanity in the first of the above options would that allow a larger entrance to the WIR (given that depth of vanity is no more than 600 which is plenty for a wall to hide the toilet a little) with a proper door per second option? Hoping this would also allow towel hanging adjacent to the vanity at ENS entrance and perhaps on the back of the WIR door? Perhaps would need sliding entry door - cavity inside vanity end to allow plumbing both ends of shower. From experience, is 1500 wide enough for double shower and double vanity? Or is it better to steal another 300 from the WIR. Gosh you are right too many options, it's like a puzzle!

• Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Swap shower and vanity perhaps
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

no better..3m available space...two doors need about 1600 (plus framing) the shower needs about 900 and the vanity 500 so there's just enough space if you make the shower shallower to allow for the framing of the door and you are happy to walk across the wet floor to the wiw...how do you use the existing doorway into the ens on the east?

• oklouise
    6 years ago

i missed your earlier post, and it is just like a puzzle...minimum double shower 1200-1500, minimum double vanity 1500 x 500, minimum toilet space 800 x 800 without walls, 900 x 1600 with small toilet with walls) plus best to allow at least 900 walking space and open wardrobes within a wiw allow at least 500 depth for hanging and shelves and at least 800 for walkway (and 700 for wardrobes with walls and doors) ...the latest ensuite has crowded walking spaces and doorways (without considering towel rails etc)....OK for one but crowded for two ...a modest ensuite (1.5m x 3m) reasonably comfortable ensuite with double vanity and enclosed toilet needs about (1.5 x 3.6m) but different shapes take more space depending on placement of the door and walking through the ens to access the wiw not only compounds the dampness it also uses up wall space with the second door but keep thinking!!

Kiki Ky thanked oklouise
  • Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    6 years ago

oh I was afraid you were going to say that! I had hoped that maybe without having a door on the toilet we could eek out a bit more clearance for the WIR entry.

The existing entry to ens on the east side is only really used by my husband if he needs the bathroom in the middle of the night. I think the original design was to have everything really open with the central wall floating. Nice idea but so impractical.

• Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    6 years ago

i see what you mean. That really highlights the value in the ens design where everything is along one wall with the central entryway opp vanity. shall keep thinking :)

• oklouise
    6 years ago

if hubby is a night toilet user we really need to retain his access and this idea has both the toilet and shower enclosed in a full height walled rooms with an extra handbasin in the secluded toilet for quiet night time use and the dividing wall behind the bed can be a simple partition and an extra small window for the enclosed shower room with separate drying area and the only essential door would be the glass shower screen enclosed in a full height wall (just like a glass sliding door

• Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    6 years ago

WOW now that is fantastic, love the way you are thinking! i am really taken with this idea. And the additional BIR could definitely work if same cabinetry as WIR to tie together. I appreciate being able to keep the partition height walls also although do you see any negatives if we were to do full height instead as this would enable more storage in the WIR? Guess it would cost significantly more to build it in. I was just looking at the room and while it is more airy/better light with the partition height it does just gather dust and serves no other purpose. Where the shower and toilet are positioned is great as this is the lower end of the wall height being at the bottom of raked ceilings. Thank you thank you thank you :)

• oklouise
    6 years ago

before considering the latest question please describe your climate and the height of the ceilings in the rest of the house...my first thought would be to have a flat ceiling above part of the ens and wiw with a storage" loft" above the new ceiling and ceiling height storage in the wiw???

• Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We are in Brisbane so rarely cold. Ceilings in the breezeway that leads to this room are 2400. Same as for kids bedrooms and hall all 2400. At the other end of the House the living dining kitchen areas are all raked ceilings as well.
  • oklouise
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

if you prefer full height walls behind the bed consider 2400 flat ceilings over the hall, ens and wiw and (if there's enough headroom to be worthwhile, a secret storage loft above the ens and wiw for long term storage with suitable ventilation (decorative feature?) in the triangle of wall high over the bed and manhole access with ladder from the wiw...if the roof shape is the same for the rest of the house a look inside the other roof spaces will decide if the loft space is tall enough likely to be worthwhile

...and, when considering cost, first quote on your ideal and then decide what could be modified to save unecessary expense although i would expect at least $20,000 for this basic idea...

btw what's on the other side of the wall on the left as you walk in the bedroom hall?

• Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    6 years ago

it is an exterior wall. The master bed room is attached to the rest of the house by a breezeway/hallway. Yes I imagine my 'ideal' will need refining to be financially viable. If only budgets weren't a necessary evil!

• oklouise
    6 years ago

with a gorgeous private tropical view that exterior wall could be a nice position for a window with view from the shower and budget forces us to undertsand what's essential, desirable and unecessary eg the biw in the bedroom can be diy flat pac added later, the sizes of the shower, screen, toilet and vanity should always be standard not custom sizes and lots of items can be bought on sale if you know what you need and are prepared to hunt around.... once you decide on the floorplan careful shopping can have all the extras fixtures, tiles, wardrobe components etc bought and paid for long before the trades arrive and you might discover an end of line few tiles that could be combined with standard plain colours to make your feature wall and (except for asbestos removal) substantial savings can be made by diy demolition and rubbish removal but before you start double check with local council about any restrictions and then consult a plumber before finalising your preferred design

• oklouise
    6 years ago

btw the skylight over the shower is still an option with or without the loft

• Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes!! I am currently looking for more images of walk in showers with skylights :) I am super keen on that idea if I can manage it. There is a lot of commentary on walk in showers it seems, especially how easy they are to clean. I do like the idea of the glass door being the entry and will be easy to clean as it is a long way from the water! Do you happen to know if there are any restrictions to placing heated towel rails on that end wall "inside" the shower?

• oklouise
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

the shower room is about 2700 long and wet shower floor about 1500 so dry standing space should be about 1200 and towel rail about 2.5m away from the shower head so heated towel rail shouldn't be a problem ...the sliding glass door is meant to enclose all the moisture within the shower room and to be kept away from all the other rooms while still allowing light from the skylight to be shared with the adjoining rooms by retaining the slope in the existing ceilings and adding a ventilating skylight directly above the shower and adding fixed panes of glass in the wall between the shower space and the other small rooms and having just the 2200- 2400 tall partition behind the bed and between the ens and wiw...the wardrobes could still have the storage built up to 2400 and the dust can just stay where it lands and sparkle in all that lovely light...sadly, i have two perfectly sized Velux roof windows awaiting a new home but transport costs could far outweigh the cost of buying local but i've occasionaly seen them offered on Gumtree etc so start looking

• Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great idea .. nothing in Brisbane at the moment on Gumtree but will keep checking for sure. Shall try some of the auction places also. Very good advice to get everything in advance of start date (once design/plan finalised). I am intrigued by the idea of glass panes above the shower to share all the light across the rest of ensuite. You really are amazing at all this :)

• oklouise
    6 years ago

i tried to make my vintage CAD program create some 3D views but no luck so you'll have to imagine that instead of the blank wall above doors and door height, you have a piece of fixed glass instead of the framed plaster board wall...based on the idea of a traditional transom window, not a new idea....bigger issue might be the exact position of the roof framing to make space for the skylight so would be good idea to have a builder/carpenter look at the roof framing and advise best size and position for any skylight and then design the floorplan from the skylight down

• Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    6 years ago

yes good point. I assume with the roof sloping perpendicular to the orientation of the shower this might be an issue. Shall see what i can find out. Thank you ever so much for all your help. Hope to chat again soon ;)

• BA
    6 years ago
    any house plan for 14m by 28m with butlers pantry ?
  • Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Revisiting this - good opportunity whilst in COVID-19 lock down! Life got in the way as it does. Really keen to try and resolve the layout for Master Bedroom reno. Oklouise and others could I ask your thoughts please?

Updated thoughts on layout per rough sketch below. This room has raked ceilings and where the vanity is the wall is 240H and open above. Would like to drop ceiling above shower/toilet. Mainly to enclose shower to deal with steam. Wish I could enclose toilet without taking valuable robe space - ideas? Not sure there is room for a door.

I will also attach whole house plan as well. We have only renovated the four rooms (3 bed & study), main bath and ensuite in bed 2 so far. Still have living area incl kitchen as well as deciding what to do with funny shaped room next to garage.

• oklouise
    4 years ago

we need some dimensions for the whole house and what's on your wish lists and what do you love and not like about the existing house??