annb1997

Thoughts on having different carpet shades throughout the house

annb1997
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We will be replacing carpeting and vinyl flooring in an older home purchased as an investment. We have selected a simple low-pile commercial-grade carpet in a dark colour for the living areas, and I would like to use a lighter shade of same carpet in the bedrooms. My husband doesn't like the look of different coloured carpet butting up to each other. I would really prefer the lighter shade throughout the house, but as it will be a rental, the thought is that darker will be better choice. Any advice as to whether using dark and light in same house is ok?

Comments (48)

• annb1997
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is the carpet.

• Related Discussions

Kitchen and Living Room thoughts

Q

Comments (17)
    Like your space and choice of green. Like the green in the kitchen you referred us to. Looks a little darker or less yellow than one you did with Photoshop? You have the same issue as many of us, for one reason or another we end up trying to blend two disparate styles. The couches say man's room, formal, brown wood to me. Your room, kitchen and fireplace say much lighter in colors , style and spirit! If you try to blend the two you will end up with neither. Your purchases to go with the couches will just add to things pushing you in a direction you don't appear to want to go! I'd suggest you find some sofa covers, or even bed coverlets if you can't get covers to put over the couches. I like the colors in the fireplace. Please tell us more about what styles you like.
    ...See More

Painting my ugly brick house?

Q

Comments (40)
    Tess, I hope I'm not too late with the following advice. Don't ever paint brick. Your house is a simple design, exterior wise. Paint wont fix it. What's missing is a designed garden. Even the simplest brick house can look like an inviting, lived in home when it has a structured garden surrounding it. For less than the price of paint, invest in a landscaper to design a garden that will soften and greatly enhance your homes street appeal ...and add many $ in value. Painted brick detracts from value and has to be repainted periodically, defeating the purpose of brick, which is, no maintenance. Besides, your house, painted white or cream as has been suggested here, would stand out in the street like a proverbial sore thumb. Trust me, landscape, starting at the street boundary and leave the bricks alone. Good luck.
    ...See More

Carpet or polished floors

Q

Comments (14)
    Sanded and polished timber floors have a evergreen classic appeal that never goes out of fashion. Carpet and other floor coverings do have a tendency to have a style that is relevant to a particular period in time. Have you ever walked into a home and thought the carpet, lino or tiles were from the 60s, 70s or 80s? Natural timber floors never date and you can easily update the look of your home with warming floor rugs and furnishings. Carpeted homes may pose problems for Asthmatics and those that suffer from allergies. There are a few environmentally friendly coatings available if you do choose to sand and polish your floors. This link will offer some insight into your floor coating options. http://budgetfloorsanding.com.au/timber-floor-finishes/ All the best with making your decision
    ...See More

Need thoughts for backyard.

Q

Comments (7)
    I would clean up first. Especially the stuff growing in the paving. Then get gardening with pot plants and start experimenting with different plants and the positions. See what you like and if you can keep it alive! Our house has the sun setting over the back fence and we've done a few inexpensive things to reduce that issue (most expensive were outdoor blinds around the verandah) but for most of the year we just don't want to be out there. It is hard work to keep the plants going in summer, there is a lot of sand due to the difficulty in keeping lawn alive and it is just bloody hot. So, that's why I'm saying clean up, start gardening small and see how you go before committing to structures that might not address the real issues you have with the yard. Just my 2 cents! :)
    ...See More
  • oklouise
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

our long term rentals had mid range Berber carpets with dark flecks on mid tone lighter carpet and were very serviceable, cheaper than vinyl or timber and happily survived regular shampooing (at tenants' expense) for many years

annb1997 thanked oklouise
  • scottevie
    6 years ago

I think it would look like part of the house has had carpet replaced, rather than fresh throughout if it is butting up another colour. The lighter choice has good variation so it would probably mask a lot anyway. If some of the area to be carpeted is in an entry or hall way you could get an off-cut piece edged and use it as a floor rug to help reduce wear in those main walkways.

annb1997 thanked scottevie
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for your advice, Linda, oklouise and scottevie. That's really helpful. Oklouise, you don't happen to recall which Berber?

• oklouise
    6 years ago

have to admit that we chose the one that looked the same as the original that had been on the floor since the 80's and still looked great in most places but had to be replaced due to water damage from a leaking roof ...i remember the carpet supplier saying the Berber was used regularly in rentals and they had options for similar looking carpets that had heavy wear for living and hallways and lighter wear for bedrooms which could be a cost saving while retaining the uniform look throughout the house...

• annb1997
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's interesting, I didn't know that was possible. Thanks again for your sage advice, oklouise.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Always go with the same carpet colour, it makes the spaces flow into each other. If any of the rooms get a lot of sun I would check for fading even with lighter colours cheers. PS: I love having wealthy friends ha ha

annb1997 thanked siriuskey
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

Dark all through IMO

annb1997 thanked Paul Di Stefano Design
  • Sarah Sarah
    6 years ago
    Definitely darker colour throughout! We had lighter colour put in our house and it was rented for over two years and ended up trashed and stained and we had to replace it all over again.
    annb1997 thanked Sarah Sarah
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you siriuskey, Paul and Sarah. I appreciate your advice. We will be going with the darker carpet!

Sarah Sarah, I'm so sorry you had awful renters. Had some bad experience way back when, so know how demoralising that feels. I hope we aren't making a big mistake entering the market now, but we really bought the property for its enormous dam - we need the water!

• zaffa
    6 years ago
    Hi annb1997. I’d also go the darker colour for consistency and longevity. Nice carpet.
    annb1997 thanked zaffa
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Zaffa!

• nataliemorris
    6 years ago
    Stick with the same coloured carpet throughout the house.
    annb1997 thanked nataliemorris
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Natalie!

• how2girl
    6 years ago

Another vote for dark all the way through

annb1997 thanked how2girl
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, how2girl!

• olldroo
    6 years ago

I had two different colours of the same carpet in my old house but they were in two separate wings and did not adjoin each other. If they adjoin then it is a whole different thing. I used a dark colour in the living area thinking that would be sensible and light in the bedrooms and regretted chosing the dark colour, it showed more marks than the light one did.

I've just been a short term renter myself, and had a plain dark carpet and it was absolutely filthy - the colour hides nothing, especially pink and green textas/paint. There obviously had been damage over the years too and parts of the carpet had been replaced obviously for economic reasons, but the colours did not match making the whole carpet area worse.

Now I've bought my new house which was rented for 16 years, it has what is probably best described as a berber finish in mid brown to cream shades giving it an attractive mottled finish quite similar to the lighter sample you have posted and while there are stains, they do not show anywhere near as obviously as the darker plain carpet did. I like the look of it laid too as it is not heavy and gives the rooms a cleaner look. I know the previous tenant shampooed it a lot and it has stood up well to that too.

When it comes to dirt and stains though, a lot depends on the carpet fibre, the lanolin in wool repels stains more than synthetics - many of which create a static electricity that attracts and holds dirt. Many synthetic carpets also dull with time, giving them a dirty look too.

Just don't allow pets in your lease!!! Good luck, I hope you have great tenants.

annb1997 thanked olldroo
  • olldroo
    6 years ago

Sorry, tried to post a photo of my carpet for you but it won't allow me but it is very similar to the light one you have posted.

annb1997 thanked olldroo
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you olldroo! So kind of you to describe your experiences, which certainly are helpful. About not allowing pets, Victoria is about to pass law which allows renters to have pets, so no joy there. We are still mulling over the flooring situation. Spoke to the owner of a local flooring supplier whom also had rental property in the past. He advocated vinyl flooring throughout. Told us he had a tenant who took apart a motor in a carpeted room...and that was enough to convert him! Thanks again to everyone. I appreciate your advice. Cheers!

• oklouise
    6 years ago

a landlord friend of ours had one of their tenants keep his precious motor bike parked in the carpeted lounge but, despite very few hassles, we had numerous excellent tenants in four different properties over 25 years and the hassles were usually only caused by normal wear and tear... we found that it was more cost effective to look after the tenants to minimise changes, lost rent and lots of damage accidentally caused by constant carpet shampooing and dragging furniture in and out for new tenants

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Hi Ann

As you're still mulling it over I thought I'd add a couple of points...

Many years ago I was renting out properties in inner city Melbourne. At the time, comparable rents were around $300-$320 per week. We were able to achieve between $550 - $650 dollars per week by taking a slightly different approach.

Instead of using flat commercial grade carpet (polypropelene / Olefin) that is still on the market today, we installed high grade Cavalier Bremworth pure wool carpet in a TIGHT one colour loop style called sisal. It was quite a dark colour.

As an aside, we chose the dark colour as the human eye is easily tricked when looking at flooring up close. If you want to see the true colour, put it on the floor and stand back at least 6 feet. You will see it look lighter ( this applies to carpet, timber, vinyl flooring etc) and so by the time it was laid it had a classy look and nowhere near too dark.

The reasoning behind this type was that a) pure wool will not flatten as quickly as the cheap commercial carpet, b) it has a natural resistance to dirt whereas the poly's tend to get grubby quickly and c) it looked a heck of a lot more upmarket.

We took the approach to set the home up as a high quality rental, with a few incentives to the tenants to look after the place. Obvioulsy the carpet was just one part of it. By doing so we got higher dollars per week and signed leases with tenants on average of 2 years and in one case a 5 year lease.

Most people look for the cheapest solution when fitting out, but we found that a better environment meant the tenants were both house proud and stayed longer.

When we did the sums, the higher quality fit out was cheaper over the long term and didn't need replacing.

Cheers

annb1997 thanked User
  • olldroo
    6 years ago

Oh what a pain annb - I can understand tenants needing their lives, I love animals myself, and these days companion pets are recognised for their value to a person's health and well being but sadly it is the owners who should know better who are the irresponsible ones. When I first inspected this house tenanted by heavy smokers with 1 cat, 2 dogs, 2 aquariums of fish, white mice and a wild bird that should not have been in a cage, my nose was in overdrive, but there was not a suggestion of a smell of anything. Even the agent was surprised and the tenant had a carpet shampooer she used regularly. Two further inspections and no smells and when they vacated, the house was fumigated as required under the lease. Came moving day one week later and the stench sent the removalists and myself reeling. I've used every product there is but a change of weather still brings out little unpleasant whiffs. Going to have to totally replace the carpet which I planned to do anyway, but until other renovations are done it has to stay and I'm on slab so have no options.

There are great tenants out there, I would like to think I was one, I did so much cleaning for the owner that I should not have had to do, I even washed all the walls down to try to give them a lift as they had not been painted for 15 years, but like oklouise says you look after a tenant and they will look after your home ............. well it used to be but people just have no idea these days. Without meaning to sound like a snob I do think areas matter, sadly there seem to be different classes of people from area to area with totally different attitudes and values.

My landlord expected me to maintain the garden - the yard was a weed patch, no landscaping had ever been done, I was always frightened of twisting my ankle and falling the ground was so rough and uneven and it was impossible to mow it. What did the landlord expect?? I'm no better off here, although I love the fact I basically have a blank canvas to make the house "mine" and why I bought it, but one of the dogs was a digger and my back garden looks like the moon - it is all craters. It is all very well to give people rights, but they have to take responsibility for these rights and of course there are definitely landlords that need to get their act together too. I don't think agents do enough monitoring either and that does not help.

I'm presently looking into vinyl planking for my living area floors and I think it is a great option. It seems to really take wear and tear, yet it is quiet and warm. When so many people seem to have allergies and issues that affect their tolerance to carpet, maybe this would be a more versatile flooring for a rental. My kitchen/living area here has vinyl sheet covering and although it is now lifting from the slab, I am very impressed with the condition of it. There are a few coloured paint like stains that won't come off but absolutely no wear and tear after 16 years. It is so easy and hygienic to clean too, initially I scrubbed it with disinfectant hoping to kill off any nasties, but now I just go over it with a steam mop and it looks great. It is not cheap but for value long term it could be a far better option.

annb1997 thanked olldroo
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks oklouise and Two's Company Renovations. Hubby and I were discussing just that point last night. A difference is that this property is in a rural setting on the fringe of a regional city, and our rental return will be considerably lower than an inner-city. However, I do understand the point you make. We are risk adverse and so are excruciatingly careful to consider as many flooring options as we can. One potentially problemsome consideration is that three of the bedrooms have old wallpaper in poor repair, and we don't yet know what is behind it. Could be asbestos. I've already booked to have whole interior repainted, and the bedroom wallpaper issue is yet to be determined. Hence, our wariness to overspend the budget, which can blow out if bedrooms prove to be a lot more trouble.

• annb1997
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi olldroo. Yes, we too like the look, feel and idea of vinyl planks, or the large tiles. Actually, they would be my preference for entry hallway and wet areas. While they are costlier than the roll flooring, a plank/tile can easily be more replaced if damaged. Thanks for all your input. It's good to hear about the experiences of others. I hope you have a lot of fun putting the plans for your new abode in place. Best wishes with the garden too. Slow and sure. :)

• pascoeyvonne
    5 years ago

A hard wearing, inexpensive carpet, in a dark colour is preferable for a rental property. Try not to bring your personal preference into the mix. This advice comes from someone who has owned rental properties for over 20 years.

annb1997 thanked pascoeyvonne
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thankyou, pascoeyvonne. I appreciate your experience.

• Jodie
    5 years ago
    As an ex property manager, and now in the carpet cleaning business, I'd go with an inexpensive hardwearing carpet. I definately would not consider wool in a rental. I would also write into a lease that carpets are to be cleaned on a yearly basis ( by a professional not a supermarket machine). Pet urine stains are extremely difficult to remove as they generally penetrate the underlay, so I feel for Landlords who may not be able to refuse pets in the future.I'd also have extra pieces on hand to repair damaged areas. You would be amazed at how many people iron on the floor , and leave a burn mark. I find also that a carpet with a slight fleck disguises more marks than a solid colour.
    annb1997 thanked Jodie
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much, Jodie! Your advice is very helpful.

• pamackenziequilts
    5 years ago

I chose a Berber look carpet for a rental. The speckles hide more spots/spills than a plain solid colour. Maybe better to go back to the vinyl/polished boards/hard surface flooring so then no need for steam cleaning whole house when tenants leave. I would go with the dark carpet otherwise.

annb1997 thanked pamackenziequilts
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for your advice, pamackenziequilts!

• User
    5 years ago
    DB
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi there annb, I have just realised that you mentioned buying the house to get your hands on the dam, so this is a country house and would be better to use something more lasting and cleanable, my sister inlaw is for ever having to hire a carpet cleaner to clean any remaining carpet which she is hoping to replace soon. cheers

annb1997 thanked siriuskey
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry, debanger3, I'm u sure what DB means...dark brown?

• annb1997
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Unsure is what I mean.

• annb1997
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi siriuskey. You are correct, it's rural. Thank you for that info.

• annb1997
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Carpeting installed. We went with a nylon cut pile in charcoal.

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Really nice annb, love the colour, looks a nice garden too.
    annb1997 thanked julie herbert
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Julie. Lots of work to do in garden!

• me me
    5 years ago
    Looks good
    annb1997 thanked me me
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, me me!

• Jodie
    5 years ago
    great choice annb 1977. That carpet will serve you well for a long time. I would be writing into any rental agreement a regular professional clean ( yearly).
    annb1997 thanked Jodie
  • PRO
    Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay
    5 years ago

Oooh la la annb! Looks so sophisticated and swish love! Really looks fabulous :)

annb1997 thanked Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay
  • annb1997
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Jodie and Nik! Can't wait to get drapes hung; we are waiting for rods arrive.

• HU-657723285
    2 years ago

Id like some advice. ive just purchased a hoise that has an off white carpet and need to change the upstairs warn out green carpet they had. problem is the off white caroet has been used on the stairs and will join the new carpet. what colur shoukd i place to go upstairs that wont look bad against the off white where it will meet ?

• olldroo
    2 years ago

HU - I really think you should start a new thread on this issue as, many people may not see this when it is an old thread.

I've had different colours of the exact same carpet in a house, but there were rooms in between so it was never obvious, but two different carpets together is another thing again. How did you feel the green looked with the off white?? If you were happy with the two colours together, then you could put any colour you liked with it, otherwise maybe remove the carpet from the stairs, although that can then make the stairs very noisy. What is the condition of the off white carpet - do you feel it may need replacing soon so you could match whatever you do now, if it is a carpet that does not look like being discontinued in the near future. You may even be able to match the off white that is there. Another hassle with using two different carpets is the weave and texture can make them look more odd together than different colours.

It is really hard to advise you on this, you really need to see the two carpets together, at least it is easy to bring home carpet samples to see just what you can live with. Good luck.

• HU-657723285
    2 years ago

thanks for your response. problemis i i dont have possession of the house yet to try samples. the green carpet looks fine against it. its just old and really worn. and the underlay is shot. its a period home. the off white carpet is stunning so i dont want to change it. maybe i can make the stairs and upoer house the same colour. i was thinking a grey. the iff white is plush

• macyjean
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

OLD THREAD

Hullo HU-657723285

I read about half the thread before noticing the date. Definitely a good idea to start a new thread.