rachel_soysa

Cabinetry Dilemma

Rachel Soysa
5 years ago

Hi

We are planning a renovation which includes a new extension comprising of open plan kitchen, dining and living.

I have my heart set on white shaker style cabinetry for the kitchen - black hardware, black freestanding cooktop/oven/range, white subway tile splashback in herringbone and polished concrete counter tops - so its modern traditional. (our house is a 1920s bungalow so the shaker style in my mind is to keep some character flowing through into the new extension.)

Imagine you are walking down the hallway and come into the new open plan living area - on the left hand side is the kitchen with L shaped layout and big island in the middle - this faces the dining and then onto the deck. On the right is the living area which also faces out onto the deck...on this side we have additional cabinetry (so symmetrical to the kitchen along the back wall) which will be a small bar and a big linen cupboard.

The shaker style only comes in 2-pack - but getting the kitchen and the bar/linen done in 2-pack is pushing us a couple grand over our budget.

Husband is suggesting we keep the kitchen shaker and just do the bar/linen in plain white laminate (but keep matching hardware).

My view is that this will look completely mismatched - as there is only the 1.5m doorway separating the kitchen cabinetry from the bar/linen...they are along the same wall. Hubby thinks it will be fine and not noticeable. The bar would have the same splashback and bench top as the kitchen.

I'm devastated to not be able to do the shaker style at all but don't want this new extension to look mismatched ...as built in cabinetry is not something you would ever change for a long long time!

Thoughts??

Comments (23)