te_whau

Any tweaks to this kitchen layout?

I've put a fair amount of thought into this kitchen layout, but some new eyes would be good.

Our existing kitchen works pretty well except for

1. the location of the pantry and the fridge: the doors clash (you can't have the pantry door and the fridge door open at the same time) which contributes to congestion in the area and

2. the corner sink, which I loathe with a passion. Again, it causes congestion (can't open the cutlery drawer when someone's standing in front of the sink; and also there's something about it which gives me backache - not sure if it's that the tap is too short, or the sink is set too far back in the bench, or the bench is just too low, but whatever it is, washing potatoes sucks.

I also find that I rarely use the bench to the left of the sink - I do my prep on the section of bench under the window between the sink and the stove. Occasionally I use it for baking if someone else is cooking at the stove at the same time.

Anyhoo, we're about to embark on some remodelling, which will make the kitchen space larger and more open, but I'm wary about losing functionality, or resolving the two things that don't work only to create other things that don't work instead.

So: any thoughts on this proposed layout?

(N.B. The walls and windows are where they're going to be, and can't be changed. The blue shaded areas on either side are the neighbours' houses - there's about a 1m side path in between, so no outlook worth looking at on either side. The west property boundary runs down the left wall of the house, the east property boundary runs down the neighbour's wall on the right side of the house. The area outside the north wall above the dining table is a deck, and then garden.

)

Comment (1)