watchedpoppy

What type of aggregate pool surface is the best, Gemtex or Beadcrete?

watchedpoppy
5 years ago

Hi Houzzers,

we are about to change from an old pebblecrete pool surface to an aggregate glass beaded surface like either Gemtex or Beadcrete. Both offer lovely bluey pool colours, the small beads are mixed in with the cement and smeared on and they are soft underfoot. We can't afford tiling the whole pool.

I have seen all the beautiful images of pools done with both products. However, I have also read very poor reviews for both these surfaces i.e stains show up quickly (like within months), little glass beads come off the surface and are found in the skimmer box, black stains on the pool floor, reactions with chlorine that cause staining.....

Has anyone used either product in the last year on their pool? Any problems? Are there other products I should look at?

Comments (7)

• watchedpoppy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

bump

• fiwisyd
    5 years ago

Hi, how did you go with your pool? I'm just starting to explore options for resurfacing pebblecrete pool. our landscaper has recommended beadcrete, so it was interesting to hear that others have had problems with it. Did you make a decision or find out any more?

• watchedpoppy
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    hi. we unfortunately are still to engage a pool company. The last guy we thought we may go with also suggested a beadcrete. I have read mixed reports about that product like it doesn't last long and the beads fall out. Have you made a decision?
  • Leanne
    5 years ago

Hi, I’m in the middle of a pool renovation and was tossing up between glass and pebblecrete until I was told that the glass beads eventually get sharp and abrasive so i am going pebblecrete. Also was told once the pool was full the glass wasn’t worth the extra couple of thousand dollars extra. So, we are getting pebblecrete.

• watchedpoppy
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the information Leanne. We just finished week 1 of our pool reno. The pool builder said he uses pebblesheen which has glass beads in it. We'll have to investigate this further now, certainly in light of what you have said.
  • watchedpoppy
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    by the way, we had pebblecrete in our pool for 28 yrs. I think it was certainly very hardy ie. bits haven't come off.
    Algae can grow in the cement bits around the pebbles if you let the chemistry go off like after alot of rain. It was easy enough to scrape off and generally disappeared once I shocked the pool but it did seem to come back in the same spots again if I didn't keep close eye on the chemistry thereafter.
    The pebbles we had felt a bit roughish under foot, it's not a smooth surface. It was in no way uncomfortable to walk or sit on though.
    I would get it again, and still might if I don't like the sound of the glass....