brennanrebecca9

Advice needed for stair design issues in new build

Beck B
5 years ago

We are doing a new build and the stairs have recently been installed but are not what I requested. I asked for a half turn staircase with a flat mid landing which is what was drawn on the plans. The stairs installed have a step in the mid-landing.

The builder is saying the only way to put a flat mid-landing is to come out into the hallway. He says he needs an additional 400mm, the allowance for the stair and 10mm for each step to account for the pitch change. I don't really get why they need the extra 10mm for each step. There is about 250mm-300mm of distance that they could use at the bottom which would not impact on the hallway significantly but the extra 100mm would not work as the hall is already more narrow, and further narrowed because I asked for a door in the hallway to seperate the front of the house from back living space. The front will be used for business purposes and needs to be separated.

I have a 4 and 3 year old and a baby due in 4 weeks. The stairs need to be as safe as possible for them. That is why I wanted the relief from the flat landing. On top off all that the handrail installed is awful from an ergonomic perspective. No way a child could grip it.

I don't know what to do, it you can think of any way that the stair could be changed to allow for a flat mid landing and not impact on the hallway. Or should I just live with the step in the mid landing even though it's not what I requested. And should I ask them to change the handrail.

Photos for reference. The second 2 photos are at the bottom to show the distance available to play with. I don't have the actual stair design spec's but the builder says it's at the limit for compliance with the building code.

Comments (17)