kylie_rule

WALL BED .. YAY OR NAY?

Kiki Ky
5 years ago

has anyone installed a wall bed? any advice and/or happy to share images of end result?

Considering for home office/guest room

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

Do you mean a Murphy bed which folds up into the wall, like in this photo?

Vintage Modern Living · More Info

My understanding is that they are pretty expensive, but heaps more comfortable than a sofa bed. The advantage of a sofa bed is that house guests never stay too long...

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

BUILD Architecture Award 2018 · More Info

• Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thank you Dr Retro .. yes that's what I was thinking exactly.. there seems to be several businesses in Australia now offering 'wall beds' with a huge variance in cost. Comfort is a priority as it will mainly be used by parents / in laws who are 70+ so not sure that a sofa bed is going to be suitable.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Hi Kylie, how big is the room?, it sounds like it would be best to set it up as a bedroom to suit all parents, with space for your office, not ideal as you won't really be able to use the office part when you have guests

• Kiki Ky
    Original Author
    4 years ago

lurchsmum could you please provide the details of which company you used for your wall bed. Any photos would be a huge help also. Thank you!

• Kate
    4 years ago

Any bed is only as good as the mattress. As long as it fits the mattress you like, the depth for mattress is the key parameter to look at. it will be as good as any base

• sfrendin
    4 years ago

Hi Kiki, I have a wallbed business- @Fold Out Furniture where we help clients with these dilemmas each day. It's always lovely to see a room suddenly take on a wider range of use, whilst still providing a really comfortable guest bed as well. We have many examples of completed beds on our website and also Facebook and instagram so please feel free to contact me with any queries or questions. There are wallbed kits; flatpacks and modular options available to suit all budgets as well, some with desks, or sofas and matching shelving, I am sure you will find the option that works best for you. Feel free to visit us at our Fold Out Furniture website

• PRO
    Larkspur Lane Design
    4 years ago

we recently purchased this Ikea "Hemnes" sofa style day bed for our daughter's room. You can buy a folding out memory foam mattress with it for use when guests stay. just an idea if you are on a budget and like the idea of having a comfy chilling area in between guests. can also put the linen and pillows in the drawers and just cover mattress with a fitted quilt and cushions for a more sofa-y look.

• PRO
    Larkspur Lane Design
    4 years ago

PS: i forgot to mention that the section at the front pulls out to allow for the mattress to fold out, therefore making a queen/king bed when needed.