jodie_narik

Lexicon 1/4 vs Lexicon Half

Jodes
3 years ago
I’m trying to decide on what white for our new home! Such a difficult colour to choose.

Open plan home with bulk heads, modern feel. Living room has windows on north, south and west sides. Bedrooms face south.

Do I do the entire house in the same white or bedrooms different to main living room due to the reduction in sunlight???

I was set on Lexicon 1/4 but it barely seems to have any tint. Looks like builders white to me but then the Lexicon Half is too much tint, this is both on the same piece of plaster.

I’m worried as we have blackbutt flooring which is warm tone but I prefer grey/white over cream/yellow.

Can anyone help??

• Bec
    3 years ago
    I did lexicon 1/4 in our last build. Loved it!!! It's a clean cool white that doesn't have that blue or grey tinge. It's really crisp and seemed to retain the colour whether in full sunlight or shade. Did lexicon full strength on exterior with shale grey. Good luck
  • Jodes
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    Bec did it have any tint to it? As you can see on my photo it appears to almost be a vivid white. I’m almost wondering if the sample pot is wrong!
    Everything on I look at online has a slight grey tint to it but I can’t see any in the sample.
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    3 years ago

Jodes - don't trust what you see online. There are too many variables with lighting, cameras and computer monitors to get an accurate impression. Trust your sample pot, or colour swatch samples in your real home in real lighting conditions.

Dulux says “A cool fresh white, Lexicon Quarter is the perfect choice for modern, open plan spaces. Create a vbrant mood that allows you to showcase eclectic artworks and furnishings. With its subtle blue-grey undertone, Lexicon Quarter is the ultimate cool white. It works as a brilliant contrast on skirting, doors, ceilings and trims.”

Unlike warm whites such as Antique White USA and Natural White, Lexicon Quarter, will complement contemporary tiles with cool grey undertones.

https://www.dulux.com.au/colour/whites-and-neutrals/most-loved.html

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

BUILD Architecture Award 2018 · More Info

• HU-4376125
    last year

Hi Jodes, just wondering whinch colour you ended up going with? And how did it look?

• Jodes
    Original Author
    last year

Hi
    We ended up going Lexicon 1/4 and I love it.

Once furnishings were in it softened and works perfectly in our home.

Here’s a photo, but you really need to paint a second to see what it looks like. Photos online don’t show the true colours.

• Sachi
    last year

Hi Jodie, I’m considering lexicon quarter for our new build as well. Did you do the trims, doors and ceiling in lexicon quarter as well?

• Jodes
    Original Author
    last year

Hi
    Yes, we did everything in the Lexicon 1/4, just changed between flat, semi gloss etc. depending on what we were painting.
    It’s come up great.

Our main living area is surrounded by windows so we have a lot of natural light, our style I call modern country and I think it works really well.

It is such a hard decision choosing white! Just paint sections of wall in the various whites you like and look at them over a couple of weeks so you can see how it looks in various lights.

Good luck!

• Sachi
    last year

Thanks so much for that.
    I think you’ve sold me on lexicon 1/4. I actually don’t have any time to swatch on the walls (living remotely) so have been doing all the colour research online. It’s a modern contemporary home with high ceilings and lots of natural light so hopefully lexicon 1/4 will give that crisp clean white that I’m after.

Thanks for your help!

• Michelle Murphy
    last year

I have lexicon 1/4 in my house. In the areas with good natural light, it's a lovely crisp, contemporary white with no obvious undertones. Just what it sounds like you're looking for.
    I ended up repainting the south facing rooms though, because it's depressingly chilly and clinical when the rooms are darkish. So if you have any darker rooms, I'd consider a warmer white, or another colour.

• Sachi
    last year

Can I ask what the warmer colour you went with was?

• Sachi
    last year

Ok that’s good, thanks for that Daniel. We are going with European oak parquetry so hopefully it will soften it up a bit more.

• Jodes
    Original Author
    last year

We have blackbutt timber flooring also. The warmth of the timber is beautiful with the clean white. But it’s all personal taste :)

• Daniel S
    last year

yah its in the eye of the beholder. I think if you had polished concrete it would take the right furnishings to work but it def works with wood floors imo.

excuse the rug dog pee’d on the other one and changing it out is a pain

• Sachi
    last year

That looks beautiful! Did you go with lexicon 1/4 for the whole house or did you pick a warmer white for the rooms with a bit less direct sunlight?

• Daniel S
    last year

my entire house gets hardly any direct sunlight as the eves are quite deep, this room gets the most. I find i dont notice a difference once you get furniture and every in!

• Sachi
    last year

Great. Thank you. I’m hoping to do the same.

• Brant Winter
    11 months ago

We’re doing polished concrete and had Lexicon 1/4 in mind, now second guessing myself!

• Leigh James
    11 months ago

We decided on lexicon half and started with our daughters room. She wanted a light grey and we did all the samples side by side on her wall originally, she chose the half, however now that it's all done just recently she declared that she doesn't like it and that it's light blue and now that she's seen that she can't 'unsee it' were her exact words. We are still finalising elements in her room, and I think once she can start bringing in the decorating items she'll be fine. But what we have decided as a result is to continue with the half into our 9 year old sons room, but from there we'll most likely transition to the quarter for the remainder of the house.

• Frey Karts
    11 months ago

I love the suggestions. Though this was 2 years ago. Perfect narrowing of the list for the project.

Yang | house builders

• Sachi
    11 months ago

Here is an update of the internals...went with lexicon 1/4 for the entire house with European oak floors and I’m loving the result. It’s a beautiful contemporary crisp white that looks very clean and fresh. No regrets at all.

• Mich'ael Cat'to
    11 months ago

Hi

what did everyone use for skirting, doors and ceiling that used lexicon 1/4. We have blackbutt flooring

• Daniel S
    11 months ago

vivid white aquanamel low gloss, i prefer the smoothness of oil based but i dont like it going yellow, if only they invented something that had all benefits. I have a photo of a development that had polished concrete and lexicon 1/4 ill try find it. It looked great to me as long as you have some rugs and other soft furniture

• Brant Winter
    11 months ago

Would love to see the pics with polished concrete. I’m a bit worried that ours will look too stark.

• Kate
    11 months ago

Add lots of timber etc in your fittings and furniture to add warmth, but it does depend on your preferences and sunlight. So it is hard to advise.

• Josephine D'Urso
    3 months ago

Hi have a light grey tile (similar to belga grey) but benchtops are an off white. What colour would u suggest ᾑ4? Pls help a friend suggested lexicon 1/4

• Kate
    3 months ago

You need to paint a sample. Try lexicon quarter, which is a cool colour, or natural white . Make sure you do three coats on your sample to get the colour.

• Beres Hogan
    last month

Again a question on Lexicon has anyone used it as exterior colour. I have a light grey roof and thinking of using Lexicon half with a ????trim. Any ideas?

• robinfk
    last month

We used Colorbond Surfmist on our trims, balustrade good etc to go with our light grey exterior as it has a slight grey tinge that matches perfectly.

• Beres Hogan
    last month

So Lexicon Half has slight grey tinge outside?

• Kate
    last month

I’d describe Lexicon as a vey pale blue grey. It’s a cool white. The less strength the more white