webuser_224888933

How to cover over terracotta tiles?

HU-224888933
5 years ago

Hi all. I'm hoping to find an inexpensive way to spruce up a small dated bathroom. The terracotta tiles are uneven and stained (despite having a protective finish on them). They always look dirty and the shower floor is actually uncomfortable to stand on it some parts. Plus I'm not a massive fan of terracotta tiles.

I was hoping that I would be able to level the floor using self-levelling concrete and then finishing with concrete paint. I also want to level the tiles in the shower floor then finish with tiles. The hardware guy advised that it would be better in the long run to rip up the tiles altogether, but this option is beyond my budget - I'm also renting and therefore can't be putting a lot of $$$ into it. It would also be weird to have new tiles with older fixtures and fittings.

I would appreciate any advice you could give. Photos attached.

Thanks,

Megan

PS: you may notice the weird shower placement - not sure what is behind this? Drainage maybe? At some stage I would like to widen the "kill step" so the getting in-out of the shower feels safer. Any ideas on how I go about that would be great too!

Comments (6)