jagratisoils

North facing sub-urban plot

piku singh
5 years ago

Hi there, We have just bought a plot in Melbourne (16x 28) which is north facing (front facing north) and have a park in front. We want to build double storey but bit worried about the natural light coming into the house. Can someone please suggest any good plans with same orientation. Checked with couple of architects firms , they are too expensive for us. Thanks

Comments (20)

• piku singh
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi there, our ball park budget would be 350-400, 000. And general requirements 4 bedrooms, two living areas. And of course to bring outside more in the house (courtyard), plenty of sunlight. Its a corner block. Thanks

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago

it's just a too tight budget for a custom build of that general scope...best pursue a volume or design&construct builder with some standard plans......plenty of options, but the challenge you have is that for that orientation the standard plans that will be versions of a rectangular box that will work better on south facing, but will not be that responsive to the challenges that come with north facing allotments ........

• oklouise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

on a corner block you may be able to have rear or side access for the garage and have more of the living areas facing north and east so first find out about any restriction to the block...including the exact locations available for driveway for front, side or rear access, any easement for sewerage etc, set back distance front, side and rear boundaries from upstairs and down...study yourhome.gov.au for better understanding of how to plan for best passive solar design for your block and then research all the building companies like GJGardner, Metricon, Rawson etc who can usually modify their designs to suit...check out the floor plans first as the external appearance can usually be adjusted to your taste and there are usually display homes available for inspection but the websites are easier to study until you narrow down a few choices..good luck with your search

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    5 years ago
    350k for a double storey is very tight.
    You might need to compromise quite a fair bit.
    Try the smaller scale builders as well. Something like Premiere Homes, they might have more budget to wiggle.
  • piku singh
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @oklouise we have an easement at the back of the plot (3mts), so the garage would have to be at front. We are looking at display homes of few big builders like Henley, Burbank etc..but the prob is they have nothing suitable for north facing blocks. So we are keen to find a layout which suits our plots orientation and thats where we need help. I am looking at the book you suggested. Thanku
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago

I bet none of them off the bat will be suitable unfortunately......

the other issue to be aware of is if you built two storey on a north facer you'll overshadow your own external spaces if the design is not well considered or sited.........it may be better for you to consider a more conservative customised single level option

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi Piku, we built our double story north facing home, opposite a park three years ago. It was through a company in Perth that does design and construct. We allocated main living areas to the front of home. With stacker doors going out to front yard to utilise the wonderful aspect and views of park. We have our office/media and laundry at the rear of property. These rooms do not require views. It is possible, just need to find the right builder. All the best
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

is the side road east or west and what's on the other side of the corner street and on the blocks next door and behind? have a look at the Henley Banksia or Nostra Buckingham (swop guest and theatre)... something like these could work but you need to search through all the designs to see what come closest to what you would like and then see waht changes can be made within budget

• piku singh
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @dreamer...thank you so much for posting your layout...much appreciated.
  • piku singh
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @oklouise we have road on the east and there are houses across the street. garage would be on west. thanks for suggesting floor plans. Will go through them. I know our budget is quite small but we are just hoping to get some ideas from.this wonderful community and then try to implement them. Cheers
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

without advocating preference for any specific building company an example like the Nostra Buckingham

can be modified but you need to check directly with the building companies to see if they can modify a plan to suit your needs ... the original plan is 411 sq m but with careful modification my variation has been reduced to under 245sq m

with a single storey over the kitchen and half the garage and wide side paths and drive through to the backyard to reduce overshadowing, concentrated towards the front of the block for more backyard and has an upstairs lounge and balcony to look out over the park...you probably want lots of other features but these suggestions may be worth adding to your lists

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Morning Piku, I forgot to mention, that our land size is only 426sqm, and a oddly shaped block. But we still managed to get our required home. Upstairs is a living area with sliding doors to balcony. These areas are always well lit from the northern sun.
  • piku singh
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    oh thts superb !! thanku...we are looking at the various plans now...might come up with few questions if tgats ok with you ?
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi Piku, I will be glad to help where I can. Thanks.
  • piku singh
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @oklouise.. wow !! thanku for spending time on this...wanted to chk with you, courtyard / alfresco at the side...won't be better option for us ?
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

imo the problem with a courtyard on the east side is that a two storey courtyard could be very hot with the eastern aspect during hot weather and also stretch the house to use up too much backyard ...the basic plan i've suggested has a wide side path to create a full length narrow courtyard on the east (subject to council regs a deciduous vine covered pergola would be excellent along the east) and there's also a courtyard on the west with garage access to the back yard but also creates a good hot weather alfresco without shading the family room and kitchen... .keeping the house in a neat shape is easier to heat and cool, makes a much more economical build and the pergola, alfresco and an upstairs balcony could be optional/later additions ...make a list of what you need, how you would use each room, could the garage double as a big party room (open to the western alfesco and used as a sleepout for a crowd of visitors or a wet weather kids' playroom...what about a downstairs shower for visitors with a sofa bed in the living or study?) try and multipurpose as much as possible could you lose some of the living areas not used every day and look at the position of windows from inside out..eg in my plan you can stand at the sink and look through to the glass front door and living room to the front garden and park and also supervise the back garden with a splashback window, there's easy access.to the garage and powder room from inside and out and the simple shape of the building allows for optional extras so concentrate on the basics and plan for adding alfrescos and courtyards outside the main building..my poor 3d image shows the view towards the front door from the sink and the stairwell allows extra northern light down from upstairs

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    I have attached some plans that may help. These are designs with open areas at the front of home. One of the plans has the garage at the back, but due to the width of your block, you could move it to the front.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    My suggestion, would be to have your home positioned as far back on your block as allowed. Keeping utilities and rooms that don't need views to the back of home. Utilising the side of your home with a courtyard. Then orient all living areas towards the front, with the main grassed/play area overlooking the park.
    You could put a small fence around the front yard and gate, to keep secure it required.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Another example of north facing living areas. Hope this helps. (This is just a part of a design, but shows a layout that could be incorporated into your design) thanks.