houzzaupolls

POLL: Celebrating an Aussie Christmas lunch: Indoors or Outdoors?

HouzzAU Polls
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Australia's beautiful climate allows us to celebrate Christmas outdoors if we choose, whilst our friends in the northern hemisphere are usually too cold to sit outside. When it's time for Christmas lunch, do you have it outdoors or indoors?

Vote and tell us why in your comments below

Woolloowin Residence · More Info

Outdoors
Indoors

Comments (18)

• oklouise
    5 years ago

FLIES!!

• PRO
    Julia Fairley
    5 years ago

The main meal will be hosted indoors, though we'll probably set up an outdoor table for drinks, nibbles and general overflow of food and people.

• Chiquit Brammall
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Outdoors: It's the best way to enjoy the aromas wafting from the barbie. Yum!

• Allie Broadland
    5 years ago

Outdoors 100%!

• PRO
    Emily Lancuba
    5 years ago

Usually have the main spread inside, but eat outside around the table/on a picnic blanket on the lawn under the sun

• PRO
    Test test
    5 years ago

Outdoors but in the shade :)

• juliamac19
    5 years ago

I recall a Christmas we had a few years ago, outside. With recently emigrated young Pom cousins and her parents who'd come to visit for Christmas. Under the shade of market umbrellas and table spread with the works, roast pork, turkey and the trimmings. They were scarlet in the face with sweat poppin everywhere (so did we). Finally I said let's go inside for dessert and we headed for the aircon. The parents said wow that was hot whereupon we fell about laughing saying we'd never eat outside in this heat, and welcome to the Aussie sense of humour! To be fair I didn't realise it was going to be quite so hot. They've sure never forgotten it.

• colemaca59
    5 years ago
    We always have Christmas under our avenue of London Plane trees. The temperature is at least 10 degrees cooler with a beautiful breeze wafting through. All the family come to have fun and the kids are usually exploring the creek, playing chasing a or riding bikes! Food is cooked between the kitchen and the bbq with courses coming out as needed. It is always a beautiful long lunch and very relaxing
  • Shirley Newlove
    5 years ago

Too many flies!!

• Jennifer Bradley
    5 years ago

Depends - first, on where you live, secondly on the weather that year (sometimes it's not conducive to eating outside), other, whether you have air conditioning, your outside facilities. I don't think there's a simple yes or no.

• PRO
    AH Designs
    5 years ago

Outside under our pergola always!!

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

It's outside at our place!

• adele_moon
    5 years ago

Christmas lunch on the lovely Noosa River. Cool breezes, cold seafood, warm plum pudding and brandy custard, Christmas décor and festive table. Party boats sailing past. Lots of other family groups, swimming and lots of happy people. Adele Noosaville

• debanger3
    5 years ago
    No
  • Tracey Ann
    5 years ago

I want to win the Interior design course as this is the best course provider I would be proud to tell people that I had been trained with The Interior Design Institute when I start my business and gain clients

• Bronte Barber
    5 years ago
    Last year we had a small bullnose verandah removed from the back of our house and replaced it with a large, covered pergola. Our Christmas day in the Adelaide Hills, under the pergola, large fan gently moving the air, 13 members of the family to celebrate lunch with us - a perfect day. The smell of the eucalyptus trees as the day warmed, the scent of an Aussie Christmas.
  • juliamac19
    5 years ago

Best thing we ever did in our undercover patio was instal ceiling fans for summer and bar heaters for winter - it gave us year round use. Winter barbie, anyone?