lynette_ludbrook

Who else is retrofitting an existing home for sustainable living?

Lynette Ludbrook
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am on my second sustainable home journey. Both have involved retrofitting an existing home. Selecting a north facing, well insulated home, that maximised passive solar gain was a good starting point in both instances, as well as planting an orchard, vegetables and plants that attract local wildlife and beneficial insects.

In both I have:

• installed solar electricity and hot water systems.
  • Built 'no dig' garden beds, using the Esther Deans method.
  • designed and planted an edible garden.
  • sourced eco friendly products and paint as far as possible.

In my current home I have also:

• installed double glazing.
  • installed marmoleum floor coverings in some of the home.
  • Installed ceiling fans for cooling in summer and heat distribution in winter in some rooms.
  • recycled my kitchen cabinetry (blackwood) and updated my kitchen, laundry and bathroom.
  • Completed a Permaculture Design Certificate Course to assist with planning and designing my food garden.
  • Kept chickens, to help source my own food and provide manure, pest control and soil aeration.
  • Set up a three bin compostng system., within the chook yard, so they turn the compost for me.
  • Used mainly pre loved and secondhand furniture for any new items needed.
  • I am in the process of having some items of furniture reupholstered.

My home has twice been opened to the public for The Ballarat Renewable Energy and Zero Emissions group, (BREAZE), once, as part of Sustainable House Day, as an example of successful retrofitting for sustainable living.

What hurdles and benefits have others found as they retrofit existing homes for sustainable living?

Has anyone installed batteries and used the electricity grid as your backup if your run out of power?

Has anyone found it is diffiicult to find plumbers willing to help install grey water systems?

I am interested to hear other people's stories of their experience of retrofitting existing homes for sustainability, rather than building new ones.

Has anyone recycled sheds or garages into green houses?

Sustainable House Day

My Pets and Plants blog on installing double glazing process and cost effectiiveness.

blog on the process so far.

Comment (1)