sars76

Timber or aluminium windows?

Sars
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We have a 1950s weatherboard home we are renovating this year and in the process we will be replacing all our original windows. Several people have recommended aluminium over timber but I just hate the loom of white aluminium windows. Our house is painted a dark grey and we were planning on white trim. Just wondering what people think about black windows worth white trim. I’ve seen it quite a bit recently in design mags. Photo example below.

I just worry that we would regret not going timber in the long term. But I do like how the black looks with the white, and we will be having black aluminium windows and doors in the more modern extension so it would all tie in.

Comments (23)

• bigreader
    5 years ago
    I do like the black windows but before you decide on colour you need to confirm the material. Aluminium replacements need to be of high quality or you’ll lessen the value of your house. I have aged timber windows of a similar vintage and they are a pain but I wouldn’t replace them and lose the charm. You can get good aluminium replacements with much improved thermal qualities but you’ll pay for them. Pick the product, then pick the colour.
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

I agree with bigreader. There are lots of cheap, aluminium windows made with flimsy narrow frames, that would look wrong with your home. At the top end of the market there are some aluminium window manufacturers that make chunky aluminium frames that have the same proportion as timber framed windows, but they are more expensive. There are also hybrid windows, which have the right proportions for your home, are aluminium on the outside and timber on the inside. Best to visit a few showrooms and get a look and feel for what is available - don't make a decision based on price and a glossy website.

https://www.miglas.com.au/aliclad

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• Sars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks to both of you. I agree with bigreader too that we may lose the charm with aluminium windows which is why I'm hesitant to go that route. And there's so much conflicting information out there.

Thanks for the link to Miglas, Dr Retro. They're close to us so we will pop down and have a look once they are back. Never new such an option existed.

• Tilly
    5 years ago
    I’m with Dr Reno, custom aluminium.
    My father was a painter and I always remember that in 1970 when houses came with aluminium window frames he decided it was time to build.
    Just a lot of ongoing maintenance and now aluminium frames come in every style shape and colour, I think it’s definitely worth exploring.
  • legendaryflame
    5 years ago
    Love what you have done, Cloudpants! The house looks excellent, I love that huge deck and the way you have altered the landscaping.
  • cloudpants
    5 years ago
    Why, thank you so much legendaryflame! I consider it the highest of compliments coming from a fellow Houzzer.
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    5 years ago

Timber vs aluminium is a continuous discussion with almost every client.

Due to increasing thermal efficiency requirements it will no doubt continue to be that way.....

and thats before we discuss the configuration - sliding, double hung, louvre, etc....

Timber is also a 'sustainable and environmentally friendly' material. Aluminium is not really a 'sustainable' product but is fantastic for recyclability.

Nevertheless, I would say its what will suit the house and how much money you have.

Replacing every window and door is an expensive exercise, even more so if you want high quality and high performance systems.

If the house has timber weatherboard then why not more timber? Feels great, thermally efficient thats usually better than aluminium and can match the existing house design. Maintenance is regular cleaning and painting when the rest of the homes needs painting. Tight budget could mean replacing only the non salvageable items and use timber that matches throughout the rest.

Why not use timber in the new addition?

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    5 years ago

Timber vs aluminium is a continuous discussion with almost every client.

Due to increasing thermal efficiency requirements it will no doubt continue to be that way.....

and thats before we discuss the configuration - sliding, double hung, louvre, etc....

Timber is also a 'sustainable and environmentally friendly' material. Aluminium is not really a 'sustainable' product but is fantastic for recyclability.

Nevertheless, I would say its what will suit the house and how much money you have.

Replacing every window and door is an expensive exercise, even more so if you want high quality and high performance systems.

If the house has timber weatherboard then why not more timber? Feels great, thermally efficient thats usually better than aluminium and can match the existing house design. Maintenance is regular cleaning and painting when the rest of the homes needs painting. Tight budget could mean replacing only the non salvageable items and use timber that matches throughout the rest.

Why not use timber in the new addition?

• Mo Pfahl
    5 years ago

hi there the after shot looks great - where did you source the garage doors from?

• Jo M
    5 years ago

Timber every time for me, strongly dislike aluminium . Can I ask why you are removing the existing windows? If they are original timber ones then I would keep them, as they will 'look right' for the period of your house. Timber window sashes etc can be repaired if they have rot in them rather then replacing the entire window.

• Sars
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Jo M. The windows are original to the house and over 60 years old now. Rotted through due to previous owners neglect. Plus we require double glazing for our energy rating.
  • Jo M
    5 years ago

Ok. In that case I would replace them with new timber windows, I just think they look so much nicer than aluminium, and will suit your house style better. We put double glazed timber windows in our previous house, we were advised that they have a better thermal mass than aluminium, which will help with your energy ratings. Best of luck with your reno.

• Sars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ks Jo. Yes I prefer timber, but it's hard when everyone keeps telling you to go aluminium. I guess many people don't want the hassle of painting. I'd rather make a bit of an effort for the look I like.

• cloudpants
    5 years ago
    Mo Pfahl thanks! My builder made the doors, as we couldn't find anything ready made which was affordable and looked the way we wanted. We chose the colour and texture of the glass panels.
  • kramerwill
    5 years ago

Hi there, depending where you live, we put in oiled timber for visual effect but we live in sub-tropical climate and they are continually growing mould. We are now faced with the problem of what to do. The recommendations from suppliers did not stop mould. If I built again I would certainly consider high quality aluminium.

• PRO
    Rylock Australia
    5 years ago

Hi Sars

I agree with the Community, you should look at selecting the product with the best performance before moving onto the decisions of both colour and style. Rylock Windows and Doors are custom fabricated locally in Melbourne and our product's aluminium profile has been designed to emulate the look of timber. We offer a thermally broken product range which features a polyamide strips to insulate the inner & outer parts of the frame which significantly minimises heat transfer through the window; and 25 standard hand-coated premium powdercoat colours. You can visit our website at rylock.com.au or one of our showrooms in Dingley and Coburg North.

Kind regards

Emma

• Tilly
    5 years ago

your rylock windows look amazing, love that they’re aluminium with the look of timber without the maintenance of timber. Great product

• Sars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for that info, Emma. I had tried to go to the Nunawading showroom as listed on your website but it appeared to be abandoned. Will try one of the one's you have mentioned.

• PRO
    Rylock Australia
    5 years ago

Hi Sars

Thanks for your reply. Rylock Nunawading is a licensee fabricator of a select number of Rylock products. If you are interested in our thermally broken range, it's a great idea for you to visit a Rylock Australia showroom in Dingley or Coburg North as we're the sole manufacturer of this product series.

Kind regards
    Emma

• susanne5251
    5 years ago

One thing to bear in mind with your decision is condensation. Whether you have double glazing or not, aluminium frames will still give you condensation. Many a customer has been disappointed with their new aluminium double glazing because they don't realise they will still get condensation. Timber is warmer and if double glazed you will not get condensation.

• spmm
    5 years ago
    UPVC - looks great — lots of colours and no repainting, - surprised that you don’t have to comply to NATHERS or BASIX type regulations for renovations? Certainly ups the prices in new builds but much more sustainable.
  • Elisabeth
    5 years ago
    I also would say double glazed UPVC, no maintenance, lower heating/cooling costs.