irene_mccarthy4

Advice please! Study desk concealed behind cupboard doors

Irene McCarthy
5 years ago

Hi! We are are adding a new kitchen and deck to our Queenslander. In the process, our current (small) kitchen will become open internal stairs, allowing for full length storage cupboards overlooking the void. The area is about 2.1m wide, and the depth is about 725mm. In this area, I would like to incorporate a broom closet and a desk. I would like to be able to charge phones, iPads, laptops, speakers etc. And my son wants to do his homework here (its on the way to his bedroom & this keeps his room free of homework and allows for his other interests).

I would love suggestions about how to make this work, particularly around what sort of doors we could use that would make the desk useable. I have seen concertina doors or doors on hinges that fold right back. Has anyone has any luck using these?

Bold Statements · More Info

Comments (8)

• Irene McCarthy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks. I do agree with study being separate from the bedroom. So do my kids luckily - maybe because their bedrooms are small! The retractable doors would be ideal. I think the idea i had seemed simple at first but perhaps its actually a little more complicated!

• Ruth BT
    5 years ago
    These retractable doors are actually quite popular with apartment developments here in Brisbane. Call Aria developments and ask them what they are called and where you might source them.
  • Irene McCarthy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Ruth. Thats good to know. Would love to know where tp source them. I will try Aria.

• Creativelychallenged
    5 years ago

are they called pocket doors?

• JaneH
    5 years ago
    Hi Irene we are using piovot sliding doors in our new build so that the doors tuck away for our study cupboard (sorry can't tell how usegul they are yet). We are using a hefele system.

https://www.hafele.com.au/en/product/wooden-pivot-sliding-doors-hawa-folding-concepta-25-set/000000d30001afd300030023/
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Hafele are great but I think you will these hinges expensive you could try the following online store

https://elraco.com.au/?osCsid=g8fikmoa9kf57kgv3k1ah5ncp7

• Irene McCarthy
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks! Rather helpful suggestions!